Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Bee Behaviour

I just laid a very small patch of block paving in our garden. The ground
is very heavy clay.

Where I have not quite finished tidying up beside the paving, some sand
and clay has ended up a mess. (Yes - I shall be tidying up tomorrow or
the next day!) But when I was looking today I saw loads of bees busying
themselves. It appears that something is attracting them. But, much as I
appreciate bees, I don't want them building a nest/hive/whatever just
outside my front door.

Do I need to worry? Or will they just have a look around and then wander
off?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
I just laid a very small patch of block paving in our garden. The
ground is very heavy clay.

Where I have not quite finished tidying up beside the paving, some sand
and clay has ended up a mess. (Yes - I shall be tidying up tomorrow or
the next day!) But when I was looking today I saw loads of bees busying
themselves. It appears that something is attracting them. But, much as
I appreciate bees, I don't want them building a nest/hive/whatever just
outside my front door.

Do I need to worry? Or will they just have a look around and then
wander off?

What sort of bees?

You may have inadvertently blocked the access to an existing nest.

Also it is the time of year for mining bees to be active. They like dry,
firm clay soil and *mine* holes for individual nests. Look for a bee
sized hole surrounded by a tablespoonful of clay chippings.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
[...]

Thanks.

The bees are, well, bee-like. I tried to take a photo but all I have
ended up with so far is a series of pictures of sand-covered muddy clay.
Shall try again today. The overall colour impression is that they are
towards brownish. Maybe a tiny bit larger than ordinary honey bees. They
did investigate under clods and walk around quite a bit.

The soil is anything but dry. Sodden clay - and it tends to stay that
way most of the year.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
[...]

Mining Bees are brown but smaller than a honey bee. Sounds more like a
blocked nest access.

Mary will know mo-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I just laid a very small patch of block paving in our garden. The ground is
very heavy clay.

Where I have not quite finished tidying up beside the paving, some sand
and clay has ended up a mess. (Yes - I shall be tidying up tomorrow or the
next day!) But when I was looking today I saw loads of bees busying
themselves. It appears that something is attracting them. But, much as I
appreciate bees, I don't want them building a nest/hive/whatever just
outside my front door.

Do I need to worry? Or will they just have a look around and then wander
off?

Since you mentioned honey bees I'm sure they won't be bumble bees.

You don't need to worry. Not that you would if they were bumble bees :-)

My guess is that they are solitary bees of some kind and don't have a sting.
They won't be round long and there won't be a large nest anywhere near your
patch. Just watch them, learn about their habits and marvel.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 May 2008 08:15:38 +0100, Rod
wrote:

snip

Thanks.

The bees are, well, bee-like. I tried to take a photo but all I have
ended up with so far is a series of pictures of sand-covered muddy clay.
Shall try again today. The overall colour impression is that they are
towards brownish. Maybe a tiny bit larger than ordinary honey bees. They
did investigate under clods and walk around quite a bit.

The soil is anything but dry. Sodden clay - and it tends to stay that
way most of the year.

I suspect they might be drinking....I get such bees in my back yard
after I've watered the pot plants.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Mary. We have seen loads of bumble/giant solitary bees this year.
I think more than ever before. But you are right - these are not they.

Having now found and looked at some pictures of mining bees, I think
that could be what they are. I just didn't imagine they would be
interested in such wet clay/sand. And I didn't want to harm them.

Marvel - yes.

--
Rod

onset.