Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unlucky lunch

This pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8560821612

is of my son's lunch jar. He had little lunch today because no one at
his school could unscrew the top. We've tried and cannot do it - if I
had a large enough vice probably but we can't grip the body and get a
purchase on the top. I've tried a rubber jar opener.

Looking at another one (we brought them back from the US) the lid has a
large plastic washer/seal which may have got jammed. My wife put the
lid on this morning but she is not especially strong.

Any ideas how to get the top off and the lunch out?

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 20:59:01 +0000, eastender
wrote:

This pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8560821612

is of my son's lunch jar. He had little lunch today because no one at
his school could unscrew the top. We've tried and cannot do it - if I
had a large enough vice probably but we can't grip the body and get a
purchase on the top. I've tried a rubber jar opener.

Looking at another one (we brought them back from the US) the lid has a
large plastic washer/seal which may have got jammed. My wife put the
lid on this morning but she is not especially strong.

Any ideas how to get the top off and the lunch out?

E.

Get the lad one of these
http://www.bohemiadesign.co.uk/too-c...k-satchel-a708

The smell of apple and leather. Ah yes.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-15 21:10:02 +0000, Graham. said:

Get the lad one of these
http://www.bohemiadesign.co.uk/too-c...k-satchel-a708

The smell of apple and leather. Ah yes.

My mother gave me one of those for my first day at secondary school. On
the way home I got knocked off my bike and beaten up. The next day I
took a small rucksack.

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2013031520590123397-nospam@nospamcom, eastender wrote:
This pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8560821612

is of my son's lunch jar. He had little lunch today because no one at
his school could unscrew the top. We've tried and cannot do it - if I
had a large enough vice probably but we can't grip the body and get a
purchase on the top. I've tried a rubber jar opener.

Looking at another one (we brought them back from the US) the lid has a
large plastic washer/seal which may have got jammed. My wife put the
lid on this morning but she is not especially strong.

Any ideas how to get the top off and the lunch out?

Someone's got to say it - angle grinder.

More seriously, was the lunch warm when it was put in and created a partial
vacuum when it cooled? In which case put it in hot water for a while?
(Might even help if that wasn't the original problem.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-15 21:15:52 +0000, Alan Braggins said:

More seriously, was the lunch warm when it was put in and created a partial
vacuum when it cooled? In which case put it in hot water for a while?
(Might even help if that wasn't the original problem.)

Yes it is for hot food. Good plan - I'll try that. I can't believe the
top is cross-threaded as it's on square.

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8560821612

is of my son's lunch jar. He had little lunch today because no one at
his school could unscrew the top. We've tried and cannot do it - if I
had a large enough vice probably but we can't grip the body and get a
purchase on the top. I've tried a rubber jar opener.

Looking at another one (we brought them back from the US) the lid has a
large plastic washer/seal which may have got jammed. My wife put the
lid on this morning but she is not especially strong.

Any ideas how to get the top off and the lunch out?

Not a left-hand thread, is it?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

wrote:

This pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8560821612

is of my son's lunch jar. He had little lunch today because no one at
his school could unscrew the top. We've tried and cannot do it - if I
had a large enough vice probably but we can't grip the body and get a
purchase on the top. I've tried a rubber jar opener.

Looking at another one (we brought them back from the US) the lid has a
large plastic washer/seal which may have got jammed. My wife put the
lid on this morning but she is not especially strong.

Any ideas how to get the top off and the lunch out?

Not a left-hand thread, is it?

A strong downward pressure while trying to unscrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-15 21:15:52 +0000, Alan Braggins said:

More seriously, was the lunch warm when it was put in and created a
partial
vacuum when it cooled? In which case put it in hot water for a while?
(Might even help if that wasn't the original problem.)

Yes it is for hot food.

That's certainly the problem.

I get the same problem with the marmalade and relish
I make myself. When I put the lids on the glass jars when
they are still stinking hot with the freshly made contents,
it can be a real bugger getting the lid off when you first
want to use it.

I just microwave the jar for a minute or so and that does
heat the contents up enough to allow you to get the lid off,
but that wont work in your case with the metal container.

Putting it in boiling water will.

Just let it cool down before screwing the lid tight next time.

Good plan - I'll try that. I can't believe the top is cross-threaded as
it's on square.

Yeah, its just the lower internal pressure effect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 20:59, eastender wrote:
This pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8560821612

is of my son's lunch jar. He had little lunch today because no one at
his school could unscrew the top. We've tried and cannot do it - if I
had a large enough vice probably but we can't grip the body and get a
purchase on the top. I've tried a rubber jar opener.

Looking at another one (we brought them back from the US) the lid has a
large plastic washer/seal which may have got jammed. My wife put the lid
on this morning but she is not especially strong.

Any ideas how to get the top off and the lunch out?

E.

Grip the lid with one of these:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...er-band-wrench

or maybe use *two* - one on the body and one on the lid.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-15 21:10:02 +0000, Graham. said:

Get the lad one of these
http://www.bohemiadesign.co.uk/too-c...k-satchel-a708

The smell of apple and leather. Ah yes.

My mother gave me one of those for my first day at secondary school.
On the way home I got knocked off my bike and beaten up. The next day
I took a small rucksack.

I'd have advised a short cut

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Update for those still with the will to live - put it in the diswasher
and then wrapped elastic bands round lid and body and got the lid off.

The washer/seal in this one is wider and without a tab - see pic - and
so jams the top. I'll email the store in Florida and test their
customer service€¦

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8562056469

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"eastender" wrote in message
Update for those still with the will to live - put it in the diswasher and
then wrapped elastic bands round lid and body and got the lid off.

The washer/seal in this one is wider and without a tab - see pic - and so
jams the top. I'll email the store in Florida and test their customer
service€¦

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/8562056469

Dunno if it's just the photo, but the thicker washer looks to have a
slightly jagged centre, where the thinner one looks nice and smooth,

So suggesting the quality may be different, could it be possible the upper
one is a knock off of the origional, and hence the dimensions are out just
enough to jam it.

Old wooden lunch box Sonnich Jensen Woodworking 2 October 15th 12 03:39 PM
How I spent my lunch hour Stupendous Man Metalworking 5 May 16th 08 01:56 AM
Unlucky with CPC IR-88 infrared thermometer Codswallop UK diy 6 November 1st 06 08:16 AM
TV programme looking for unlucky houses [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 16th 05 11:47 AM
HarborFreight - am I just unlucky? blueman Home Repair 64 June 14th 05 10:18 PM