Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frost damage to water butt feed pipe

For many years I've used a length of 22mm plastic pipe to feed a water
butt. Despite freezing solid on several occasions (sufficient to push
the end connectors out) it's never failed. Last year I installed a
second water butt, fed using a similar pipe, but that one has failed
catastrophically over the winter in a sort of spiral split along half
its length.

I wonder why the difference. Has the material used for plastic
plumbing changed over the last decade or so? Would barrier pipe be a
better choice?

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard Russell writes:
For many years I've used a length of 22mm plastic pipe to feed a water
butt. Despite freezing solid on several occasions (sufficient to push
the end connectors out) it's never failed. Last year I installed a
second water butt, fed using a similar pipe, but that one has failed
catastrophically over the winter in a sort of spiral split along half
its length.

I wonder why the difference.

Was that one able to push out of the end connectors to save itself?

Has the material used for plastic
plumbing changed over the last decade or so? Would barrier pipe be a
better choice?

There are lots of different types.
Plastic waste pipe is usually uPVC or ABS (cheaper).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 3:58*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Was that one able to push out of the end connectors to save itself?

Not obviously. In neither of the last two winters (in 2011/12 it
reached -14.4C here) have the end connectors been dislodged, and it
isn't leaking.

There are lots of different types.
Plastic waste pipe is usually uPVC or ABS (cheaper).

I'm sure the plastics must be different, but what the pipe which has
survived is I have no idea.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 07:29:46 -0800 (PST), Richard Russell wrote:

For many years I've used a length of 22mm plastic pipe to feed a water
butt.

I used overflow pipe orginally but that failed. Now have a length of
ordinary hose pipe from the divertor to butt. Hangs in a bit of a U (well
quite a large U actaully about 2' deep) but that doesn't matter as the
butt end is still a tad lower than the divertor end.

Just join the two butts together with a length of hose up out of one down
into the other. Make sure all the air is removed from the top of the
inverted U. Might be worth making sure the ends of the hoses are well
down the butts so air doesn't get in to early as you use the contents.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2013 19:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 07:29:46 -0800 (PST), Richard Russell wrote:

For many years I've used a length of 22mm plastic pipe to feed a water
butt.

I used overflow pipe orginally but that failed. Now have a length of
ordinary hose pipe from the divertor to butt. Hangs in a bit of a U (well
quite a large U actaully about 2' deep) but that doesn't matter as the
butt end is still a tad lower than the divertor end.

Just join the two butts together with a length of hose up out of one down
into the other. Make sure all the air is removed from the top of the
inverted U. Might be worth making sure the ends of the hoses are well
down the butts so air doesn't get in to early as you use the contents.

when I first got married and we moved into our first house I purchased a
Plastic Table and chair set from Woolworth. It was Guaranteed 10 years.
The sales tag was that it could be stored in the garden. 28years later
it is still going strong. it has been stored in the garden in full sun
frost etc and is as good as new apart from the odd stain that is a bit
reluctant to wash off. ( still white)

It was about twice the price of the other stuff at the time but it shows
how things are not all the same. My family have had several cheap sets
give way in the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 7:01*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
I used overflow pipe orginally but that failed. Now have a length of
ordinary hose pipe from the divertor to butt.

I realise I could use flexible hose, but it's ugly compared with what
we have now. Since the old pipe has survived so well I would like to
find another! Might PEX pipe be more durable; it's described as
'freeze-break resistant'?

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I used overflow pipe orginally but that failed. Now have a length of

ordinary hose pipe from the divertor to butt.

I realise I could use flexible hose, but it's ugly compared with what

we have now. Since the old pipe has survived so well I would like to

find another! Might PEX pipe be more durable; it's described as

'freeze-break resistant'?

Richard.

http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

ISTR reading a post here many years ago explaining the different reactions to frost when the pipe entered the tap vertically or horizontally. One way and the frost would push the tap off , the other way and the pipe would burst