Mr Lawes

Default Water butt placement - away from down-pipe

I've just bought a water butt, stand & diverter from one of those
water authority sponsored events.

Due to lack of space at the down-pipe, I need to put said butt on the
other side of a path from the down-pipe.

Has anyone else done this?
How far up the down-pipe do I need to put the rain diverter to give
the water enough gravity?

I guess the feed pipe then would run alongside the down-pipe, under
the path, and back up & into the water butt.

TIA..
RedOnRed

"Mr Lawes" wrote in message

I've just bought a water butt, stand & diverter from one of those
water authority sponsored events.

Due to lack of space at the down-pipe, I need to put said butt on the
other side of a path from the down-pipe.

Has anyone else done this?
How far up the down-pipe do I need to put the rain diverter to give
the water enough gravity?

I guess the feed pipe then would run alongside the down-pipe, under
the path, and back up & into the water butt.

TIA..

Those butts can be a pain in the...erm, elbow.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mr Lawes writes:

I've just bought a water butt, stand & diverter from one of those
water authority sponsored events.

Due to lack of space at the down-pipe, I need to put said butt on the
other side of a path from the down-pipe.

Has anyone else done this?
How far up the down-pipe do I need to put the rain diverter to give
the water enough gravity?

You have to put it exactly level with the high water level in the
water butt.

I guess the feed pipe then would run alongside the down-pipe, under
the path, and back up & into the water butt.

Don't know how well that will work. I suspect it will get silted up.
At least make it easily removable for flushing through. You might as
well connect it near the bottom of the water butt, in which case if
it's a flexible hose, you could temporarily disconnect from the
downpipe end to reverse flush it using the water in the butt.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:58:31 +0100, Mr Lawes wrote:

I've just bought a water butt, stand & diverter from one of those
water authority sponsored events.

snip
How far up the down-pipe do I need to put the rain diverter to give
the water enough gravity?

Depends if you want the overflow from the butt to go back down the
down spout. If you do it needs to be at the same level as the required
water level in the butt.

Recently done away with that on our butt and fitted an overflow that
just deposits excess water onto the ground. Found I needed the inlet
to be a couple of inches below the level of the divertor to ensure
flow from it, through 8' of hose in a U shape to the butt.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail