Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure washer - connect to washing machine outlet?

As per title really. Is it possible to supply water to a pressure
washer by connecting to a washing machine outlet of the sort [1 inch
male, external thread type thing] typically found under a sink?
Outside tap not really feasible, connecting to sink tap is messy at
best.
Tried B&Q today - non of the fittings on the pressure washers on
display looked suitable, staff tried his best to help, but couldn't
find any adaptors. Seems such an obvious way to connect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote:
As per title really. Is it possible to supply water to a pressure
washer by connecting to a washing machine outlet of the sort [1 inch
male, external thread type thing] typically found under a sink?
Outside tap not really feasible, connecting to sink tap is messy at
best.
Tried B&Q today - non of the fittings on the pressure washers on
display looked suitable, staff tried his best to help, but couldn't
find any adaptors. Seems such an obvious way to connect.

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the
"clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may
now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:47:28 +0000, Tim+
wrote:

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the
"clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may
now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Ta tim, but I don't think I've explaimed myself very well - entirely
my fault, I had the same prob in BQ today.

.. I need an adaptor so I can screw a pressure washer supply hose onto
the sink outlet. Does such a thing exist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the
"clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may
now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Ta tim, but I don't think I've explaimed myself very well - entirely
my fault, I had the same prob in BQ today.

. I need an adaptor so I can screw a pressure washer supply hose onto
the sink outlet. Does such a thing exist.

Sink outlet? No wonder they're confused! You want to run it on drain water?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the
"clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may
now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Ta tim, but I don't think I've explaimed myself very well - entirely
my fault, I had the same prob in BQ today.

. I need an adaptor so I can screw a pressure washer supply hose onto
the sink outlet. Does such a thing exist.

Sink outlet? No wonder they're confused! You want to run it on drain water?

Tim

Okay, more seriously, if your pressure washer uses standard garden hose
couplings screwed on to an outside tap,it will also screw on to one of
these.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...FcrHtAodAX4AQg

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the
"clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may
now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Ta tim, but I don't think I've explaimed myself very well - entirely
my fault, I had the same prob in BQ today.

. I need an adaptor so I can screw a pressure washer supply hose onto
the sink outlet. Does such a thing exist.

Sink outlet? No wonder they're confused! You want to run it on drain water?

Tim

You want to connect to the cold feed that is designed for a washing
machine. No way would that be described as a sink outlet FFS!

Just use a washing machine hose and adapt the free end to a garden hose
fitting or whatever your pressure washer needs.
Mine (a Bosch) has the same thread as the end of a washing machine hose
(3/4"BSP) so no adaptor needed.
You can get hoses from the local tip - they get two with nearly every
machine that is dumped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Cee writes:
As per title really. Is it possible to supply water to a pressure
washer by connecting to a washing machine outlet of the sort [1 inch
male, external thread type thing] typically found under a sink?
Outside tap not really feasible, connecting to sink tap is messy at
best.
Tried B&Q today - non of the fittings on the pressure washers on
display looked suitable, staff tried his best to help, but couldn't
find any adaptors. Seems such an obvious way to connect.

Washing machine is normally a 3/4" BSP thread, as is an outside tap
with hosepipe thread, so I would expect anything designed for an
outside tap to work identically.

Check the hose and the pressure washer are designed for mains water
pressure on the inlet. Cheap garden hoses aren't and rely on being
open at the far end to limit the pressure in the hose.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2013 22:23, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Simon Cee writes:
As per title really. Is it possible to supply water to a pressure
washer by connecting to a washing machine outlet of the sort [1 inch
male, external thread type thing] typically found under a sink?
Outside tap not really feasible, connecting to sink tap is messy at
best.
Tried B&Q today - non of the fittings on the pressure washers on
display looked suitable, staff tried his best to help, but couldn't
find any adaptors. Seems such an obvious way to connect.

Washing machine is normally a 3/4" BSP thread, as is an outside tap
with hosepipe thread, so I would expect anything designed for an
outside tap to work identically.

Exactly; I have used a washing machine outlet for this purpose myself.
http://tinyurl.com/cbsgkdn (or
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...?skuId=9228334)
is the baby you need.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee writes:
As per title really. Is it possible to supply water to a pressure
washer by connecting to a washing machine outlet of the sort [1 inch
male, external thread type thing] typically found under a sink?
Outside tap not really feasible, connecting to sink tap is messy at
best.
Tried B&Q today - non of the fittings on the pressure washers on
display looked suitable, staff tried his best to help, but couldn't
find any adaptors. Seems such an obvious way to connect.

Washing machine is normally a 3/4" BSP thread, as is an outside tap
with hosepipe thread, so I would expect anything designed for an
outside tap to work identically.

Exactly; I have used a washing machine outlet for this purpose myself.
http://tinyurl.com/cbsgkdn (or
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...?skuId=9228334)
is the baby you need.

That is exactly what you need.

Don't use the self sealing 'water stop' version though, they can cause
problems with pressure washers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the
"clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may
now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Ta tim, but I don't think I've explaimed myself very well - entirely
my fault, I had the same prob in BQ today.

. I need an adaptor so I can screw a pressure washer supply hose onto
the sink outlet. Does such a thing exist.

Sink outlet? No wonder they're confused! You want to run it on drain water?

That's what I though on reading the title.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:29:10 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Exactly; I have used a washing machine outlet for this purpose myself.
http://tinyurl.com/cbsgkdn (or
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...?skuId=9228334)
is the baby you need.

That is exactly what you need.

Don't use the self sealing 'water stop' version though, they can cause
problems with pressure washers.

Brill, ta for the help chaps, and for figuring out my mangled plumbing
terms

Washing Machine Outlet Box Pointer Home Repair 2 December 12th 12 12:57 PM
washing machine outlet into soil pipe ? [email protected] UK diy 6 May 22nd 09 04:57 PM
Washing machine washer AnthonyL UK diy 3 March 21st 08 05:17 PM
Washing machine outlet into soilpipe? Pete L UK diy 1 November 10th 07 02:11 PM
Distance from power to washing machine outlet John Borrman UK diy 8 February 6th 05 07:50 PM