Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A use for all those beer cans...

YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

Although the holes in the wall need to be bigger than those for water pipes,
this has to be the simplest way of non-storage heating that I've seen.

My front wall faces SE and often gets sun in the Winter. The solar gain in
mid-Nov. - mid-Jan. isn't enough to be worth drawing back the net
curtains[1], as there's increased loss, but there is worthwhile energy there
and I've been mulling over ways of getting it.

Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/13 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

Although the holes in the wall need to be bigger than those for water pipes,
this has to be the simplest way of non-storage heating that I've seen.

My front wall faces SE and often gets sun in the Winter. The solar gain in
mid-Nov. - mid-Jan. isn't enough to be worth drawing back the net
curtains[1], as there's increased loss, but there is worthwhile energy there
and I've been mulling over ways of getting it.

Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

I bet he could have paid for 20 years of electricity if he hadnt drink
the beer

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

Although the holes in the wall need to be bigger than those for water pipes,
this has to be the simplest way of non-storage heating that I've seen.

My front wall faces SE and often gets sun in the Winter. The solar gain in
mid-Nov. - mid-Jan. isn't enough to be worth drawing back the net
curtains[1], as there's increased loss, but there is worthwhile energy there
and I've been mulling over ways of getting it.

Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

I spent a while wondering where I might get some thin guage aluminium
for a little solar hot water experiment until I realised I chuck loads
of it away every fortnight when the recycling gets collected. Given the
numbers of cans that seem to have accumulated over the last couple of
months, I reckon I could go into competition with the bloke in the video.

Having watched that, I wonder if it's time for a little hot air heating
experiment too!

Did he say how he had joined the cans together or is that his USP?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

Been like that here too. I don't want to send my 20 degree room air out
into a system that has a single layer of plastic insulating it from 4
degree outside air in the hope that overcast sun will be warming it more
than it'll lose to the outside - at least, not without proof.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:04:43 +0000, GMM wrote:

[...]

No, but it seemed that they sort of wedged together - OK for air but a bit
fraught for water.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:19:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

Been like that here too. I don't want to send my 20 degree room air out
into a system that has a single layer of plastic insulating it from 4
degree outside air in the hope that overcast sun will be warming it more
than it'll lose to the outside - at least, not without proof.

Andy

It'd be fairly easy to try it without having holes in the wall. Just make a
crude mock-up and blow some air through it - the proof of the pudding is in
the pulling.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:19:05 PM UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Been like that here too. I don't want to send my 20 degree room air out
into a system that has a single layer of plastic insulating it from 4
degree outside air in the hope that overcast sun will be warming it more
than it'll lose to the outside - at least, not without proof.
Andy

Double glazing makes more sense, maybe triple.
Only running air through it when its warm does too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

Although the holes in the wall need to be bigger than those for water
pipes,
this has to be the simplest way of non-storage heating that I've seen.

My front wall faces SE and often gets sun in the Winter. The solar gain in
mid-Nov. - mid-Jan. isn't enough to be worth drawing back the net
curtains[1], as there's increased loss, but there is worthwhile energy
there
and I've been mulling over ways of getting it.

Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright)
and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft
went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

Why does he need the cans at all? He could just let air circulate through
his green house thingy. Paint the back of it black.

The main problem with this sort of thing is the glazing .

Complete waste of time anyway. All he needs is a window. It is instead of a
window but more expensive and inefficient.

The thing is too small to make a significant difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

You do need something to absorb the incoming solar because air alone wont.

He could just let air circulate through his green house thingy. Paint the
back of it black.

Wouldn’t have anything like the same surface
area in contact with the air moving thru it.

The main problem with this sort of thing is the glazing .

Nope.

Complete waste of time anyway. All he needs is a window.

Wrong, as always.

It is instead of a window but more expensive and inefficient.

Windows arent cheap.

The thing is too small to make a significant difference.

You can have as many as you like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

OMG! You mean, in order to save the planet - we have to drink more beer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:18:46 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

OMG! You mean, in order to save the planet - we have to drink more beer?

I'm ready to do my bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On the subject of beer cans....

Why 440ml?

500ml can/bottle - half a litre.
568ml can - a pint.
330ml bottle - third of a litre.
285ml bottle - half a pint.

But why 440ml cans?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

OMG! You mean, in order to save the planet - we have to drink more beer?

I'm ready to do my bit.

Looks like we will have to man up & get on with it. Planet won't save
itself will it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

OMG! You mean, in order to save the planet - we have to drink more beer?

I'm ready to do my bit.

Looks like we will have to man up & get on with it. Planet won't save
itself will it?

No, it's up to people like us.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On the subject of beer cans....

Why 440ml?

500ml can/bottle - half a litre.
568ml can - a pint.
330ml bottle - third of a litre.
285ml bottle - half a pint.

But why 440ml cans?

I'd assumed an American pint, but no...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 12:33, John Williamson wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

On the subject of beer cans....

Why 440ml?

500ml can/bottle - half a litre.
568ml can - a pint.
330ml bottle - third of a litre.
285ml bottle - half a pint.

But why 440ml cans?

I'd assumed an American pint, but no...

Many cans have contents a mere fraction of an ounce below the actual
volume. There is a bit of space and they obviously want to keep the
right side of weights & measures. So 440 is only a tiny bit below the
454.61 ml exact conversion - which is a similar margin.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On the subject of beer cans....

Why 440ml?

500ml can/bottle - half a litre.
568ml can - a pint.
330ml bottle - third of a litre.
285ml bottle - half a pint.

But why 440ml cans?

I'd assumed an American pint, but no...

Many cans have contents a mere fraction of an ounce below the actual
volume. There is a bit of space and they obviously want to keep the
right side of weights & measures. So 440 is only a tiny bit below the
454.61 ml exact conversion - which is a similar margin.

Hmmmm! Not convinced :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:15:27 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:19:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and
the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went
from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

Been like that here too. I don't want to send my 20 degree room air out
into a system that has a single layer of plastic insulating it from 4
degree outside air in the hope that overcast sun will be warming it more
than it'll lose to the outside - at least, not without proof.

Andy

It'd be fairly easy to try it without having holes in the wall. Just make a
crude mock-up and blow some air through it - the proof of the pudding is in
the pulling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzxw1j-dzY4
Tons of videos
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:18:46 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 23/02/2013 18:45, PeterC wrote:
YouTube
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1361627074

OMG! You mean, in order to save the planet - we have to drink more beer?

I'll have to - up 'til now I've crushed the cans by hand, as I need the
exercise.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

phew! - at least they're not as I feared: proof of pudding!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On the subject of beer cans....

Why 440ml?

500ml can/bottle - half a litre.
568ml can - a pint.
330ml bottle - third of a litre.
285ml bottle - half a pint.

But why 440ml cans?

I'd assumed an American pint, but no...

Many cans have contents a mere fraction of an ounce below the actual
volume. There is a bit of space and they obviously want to keep the
right side of weights & measures. So 440 is only a tiny bit below the
454.61 ml exact conversion - which is a similar margin.

Hmmmm! Not convinced :-)

Nor am I - but no-one has put a more convincing explanation forward.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:59:24 PM UTC, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 04:10:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:58:24 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:55:22 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:19:05 PM UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Been like that here too. I don't want to send my 20 degree room air out
into a system that has a single layer of plastic insulating it from 4
degree outside air in the hope that overcast sun will be warming it more
than it'll lose to the outside - at least, not without proof.
Andy

Double glazing makes more sense, maybe triple.

Yes, especially for weak sun with low temperatures.
At least it can't freeze or boil (it's already done the latter).

Only running air through it when its warm does too.

That's v. simple - just need 2 'stats, one for room and one for incoming
air.

No stats required, just plastic film flaps. They open when convection force occurs.

A fan would be needed to get enough heat in

panels like this are usually run passively. The light film flap then opens when they get hot, letting the heat in.

- then the plastic flaps might
go all floppy if his 100F claim is true.

plastic film's always floppy

A more efficient design is to use 3 layers of black plastic shading mesh. They're placed in such a way that front panel losses are kept very low. Ali cans are probably better suited to multiple glazing though, which can generate very high temps in summer.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 16:00, PeterC wrote:
phew! - at least they're not as I feared: proof of pudding!

Surprisingly effective. Now all I need is some sunshine...

Andy

O/T: About Beer Luigi Zanasi[_3_] Woodworking 6 April 2nd 11 05:35 PM
Beer. ian field[_2_] Electronic Schematics 2 December 20th 09 05:49 PM
OT Beer David Lang UK diy 60 July 13th 05 08:36 PM
Arrow heads from beer cans????????? TrailRat Metalworking 11 May 6th 05 04:19 PM
DIY Beer Andrew McKay UK diy 47 March 22nd 05 11:40 AM