Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Draining and refilling Sealed CH System

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDI Boiler.

I have read the instructions regarding using the filling key to initially
fill the system. However, in the coming months I shall be having some work
carried out and the system will need draining.

Do I just fill it through the filling loop - or do I need to perform the
initial refill at the oiler using the filling key?

I want to be sure to understand what is required in case the builder /
plumber attempts to do the wrong thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 18:36, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDI Boiler.

I have read the instructions regarding using the filling key to initially
fill the system. However, in the coming months I shall be having some work
carried out and the system will need draining.

Do I just fill it through the filling loop - or do I need to perform the
initial refill at the oiler using the filling key?

Its sounds rather like you have two filling loops... one "normal"
external one, and the internal one fitted to that particular make of
boiler (most sealed system boilers don't have a filling key and hence
need the external filling loop).

If that is the case, then you can use either.

I want to be sure to understand what is required in case the builder /
plumber attempts to do the wrong thing.

Its pretty straightforward - and generally easier than doing a vented
system since you have no need to worry about airlocks and inverted pipe
drops etc. Can be a bit tedious if working alone though! (much simpler
with someone else manning the tap and topping up as you go round
bleeding the rads)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:46:28 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

The thing I would be worried about is the corrosion inhibiter not
being replaced, and you should ask for this to be done.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 22/02/2013 18:36, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDI Boiler.

I have read the instructions regarding using the filling key to initially
fill the system. However, in the coming months I shall be having some work
carried out and the system will need draining.

Do I just fill it through the filling loop - or do I need to perform the
initial refill at the oiler using the filling key?

Its sounds rather like you have two filling loops... one "normal"
external one, and the internal one fitted to that particular make of
boiler (most sealed system boilers don't have a filling key and hence
need the external filling loop).

If that is the case, then you can use either.

Many people don't find the internal Worcester Bosch one easy
to use, and it's very easy to snap the plastic key off inside
it, as the breaking force when pulling/pushing/turning it the
wrong way isn't much more than the operating force when doing
it right. They are often broken in rented properties.
(Lubricating the rubber seals on it first with a tiny smear
of soap or silicone grease will make it much easier to use.)

Fitting a separate bog-standard filling loop to use instead
is a good idea, and you may well find that one easier to use.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If that is the case, then you can use either.

Many people don't find the internal Worcester Bosch one easy
to use, and it's very easy to snap the plastic key off inside
it, as the breaking force when pulling/pushing/turning it the
wrong way isn't much more than the operating force when doing
it right. They are often broken in rented properties.
(Lubricating the rubber seals on it first with a tiny smear
of soap or silicone grease will make it much easier to use.)

Fitting a separate bog-standard filling loop to use instead
is a good idea, and you may well find that one easier to use.

I am guessing this is what the installer had in mind as the boiler is in
the loft and I have a filling loop and gauge in the airing cupboard where
the previous (gravity) boiler had been.
So there is no difference in filling from this remote filling loop then?

I will add inhibitor - I am very particular about this and do it by
draining a radiator and then removing the top plug from the radiator and
putting in the right amount of inhibitor. However, I have not done a drain
down since having this boiler fitted. I need to have a couple of radiatores
moved and want them re-piping back to the manifold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 21:13, DerbyBorn wrote:
If that is the case, then you can use either.

Many people don't find the internal Worcester Bosch one easy
to use, and it's very easy to snap the plastic key off inside
it, as the breaking force when pulling/pushing/turning it the
wrong way isn't much more than the operating force when doing
it right. They are often broken in rented properties.
(Lubricating the rubber seals on it first with a tiny smear
of soap or silicone grease will make it much easier to use.)

Fitting a separate bog-standard filling loop to use instead
is a good idea, and you may well find that one easier to use.

I am guessing this is what the installer had in mind as the boiler is in
the loft and I have a filling loop and gauge in the airing cupboard where
the previous (gravity) boiler had been.
So there is no difference in filling from this remote filling loop then?

There is no difference, you will be fine filling the system from the
remote filling loop.

snip

--
David