Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing around kitchen sink

A Franke stainless steel kitchen sink, needs to come out to replace the tap.

Looking to buy a sealing strip to seal around it once it goes back in
place. Not sure what is the correct terminology - it is the
plasticine-like strip that you place around the lip, then tighten, and
trim the excess.

Any idea where to get it from? Found on when searching specifically for
a Franke one, but at £23 I am sure I can so better (I assume it is
generic?).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Feb, 13:57, JoeJoe wrote:
A Franke stainless steel kitchen sink, needs to come out to replace the tap.

Looking to buy a sealing strip to seal around it once it goes back in
place. Not sure what is the correct terminology - it is the
plasticine-like strip that you place around the lip, then tighten, and
trim the excess.

Any idea where to get it from? Found on when searching specifically for
a Franke one, but at £23 I am sure I can so better (I assume it is
generic?).

thick bead of silicone & forget the tape?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 14:08, Jim K wrote:
On 19 Feb, 13:57, JoeJoe wrote:
A Franke stainless steel kitchen sink, needs to come out to replace the tap.

Looking to buy a sealing strip to seal around it once it goes back in
place. Not sure what is the correct terminology - it is the
plasticine-like strip that you place around the lip, then tighten, and
trim the excess.

Any idea where to get it from? Found on when searching specifically for
a Franke one, but at £23 I am sure I can so better (I assume it is
generic?).

thick bead of silicone & forget the tape?

Jim K

I would rather leave the option of repeating the process in the future
open... I am sure silicone will provide a much better seal, but it would
be near impossible to remove without causing damage to the (laminated)
worktop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 2:28*pm, JoeJoe wrote:

thick bead of silicone & forget the tape?

Jim K

I would rather leave the option of repeating the process in the future
open... I am sure silicone will provide a much better seal, but it would
be near impossible to remove without causing damage to the (laminated)
worktop.

Why would it cause damage?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 15:18, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Feb 19, 2:28 pm, JoeJoe wrote:

thick bead of silicone & forget the tape?

Jim K

I would rather leave the option of repeating the process in the future
open... I am sure silicone will provide a much better seal, but it would
be near impossible to remove without causing damage to the (laminated)
worktop.

Why would it cause damage?

MBQ

It wouldn't. Removing it should I ever need to repeat the exercise will
likely would.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 2:28 pm, JoeJoe wrote:

thick bead of silicone & forget the tape?

Jim K

I would rather leave the option of repeating the process in the future
open... I am sure silicone will provide a much better seal, but it would
be near impossible to remove without causing damage to the (laminated)
worktop.

Why would it cause damage?

MBQ

It wouldn't. Removing it should I ever need to repeat the exercise will
likely would.

would it? take us through how you would do it to cause the damage.....

Anyhow TBH it doesn't sound like a regular occurrence to me somehow -
the repeated installation & removal and refitting of 1 sink?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 13:57, JoeJoe wrote:
A Franke stainless steel kitchen sink, needs to come out to replace the
tap.

Why do you need to take the sink out to replace the tap?

Looking to buy a sealing strip to seal around it once it goes back in
place. Not sure what is the correct terminology - it is the
plasticine-like strip that you place around the lip, then tighten, and
trim the excess.

Any idea where to get it from? Found on when searching specifically for
a Franke one, but at £23 I am sure I can so better (I assume it is
generic?).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 13:57, JoeJoe wrote:
A Franke stainless steel kitchen sink, needs to come out to replace the
tap.

Why do you need to take the sink out to replace the tap?

It is a particularly large sink that seats over two base units, with the
tap right in the middle, with no access to it, just two flxi pipes bent
enough to reach it. You should have seen the other great stuff that our
builder and his plumber left behind them...