Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor fans

My Manrose SF120T (125 mm in-line fan) sounds, from intermittent
bearing noise, as if it is about to fail.

Although the two I have had so far have given reasonable life for
an inexpensive item, I think it is time to consider a more robust
model.

I am looking for a quiet, capable, 125 mm duct fan, with run-on
timer, to fit into existing flexible ducting for my bathroom.

The MF125T looks the best match, but I am waiting for a response
from the supplier about its high/low speed configuration. Does
anybody know if it is possible to permanently connect in low
speed without the expense of the separate speed control box?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:27:06 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

My Manrose SF120T (125 mm in-line fan) sounds, from intermittent
bearing noise, as if it is about to fail.

Although the two I have had so far have given reasonable life for
an inexpensive item, I think it is time to consider a more robust
model.

I am looking for a quiet, capable, 125 mm duct fan, with run-on
timer, to fit into existing flexible ducting for my bathroom.

The MF125T looks the best match, but I am waiting for a response
from the supplier about its high/low speed configuration. Does
anybody know if it is possible to permanently connect in low
speed without the expense of the separate speed control box?

You may want to have a look at the quiet S&P in-line units
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html
We have one for a bathroom/shower extract and it seems to be an
improvement on the Manrose equivalent and has a noticeably better
noise/air movement result.

As a kitchen extract we have a two speed in-line Vent Axia (without
timer) ACM 125 which is somewhat noisier but is effective and very
easy to demount for cleaning.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rbel wrote:

You may want to have a look at the quiet S&P in-line units
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html
We have one for a bathroom/shower extract and it seems to be an
improvement on the Manrose equivalent and has a noticeably better
noise/air movement result.

Thanks for that, it looks interesting, if a little expensive. I
hadn't found it on TLC's site when I looked, as they don't list
it under "Shower & Inline Duct Fans"

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:27:06 AM UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I am looking for a quiet, capable, 125 mm duct fan, with run-on
timer, to fit into existing flexible ducting for my bathroom.
The MF125T looks the best match, but I am waiting for a response
from the supplier about its high/low speed configuration. Does
anybody know if it is possible to permanently connect in low
speed without the expense of the separate speed control box?
Chris

You can speed reduce a fan with a series capacitor. However no mfr will recommend starting a fan on reduced setting, it significantly increases the onset of failure. A possible solution is a 3 position switch or a time delayed relay (diode, RC) so the fan comes on at full then quickly switches to reduced speed.

Plant amazing Acers.

Surely fruiting trees are more use

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 09:27, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My Manrose SF120T (125 mm in-line fan) sounds, from intermittent
bearing noise, as if it is about to fail.

Although the two I have had so far have given reasonable life for
an inexpensive item, I think it is time to consider a more robust
model.

Is it not possible to replace the bearings?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 17:53, SteveW wrote:
On 19/02/2013 09:27, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My Manrose SF120T (125 mm in-line fan) sounds, from intermittent
bearing noise, as if it is about to fail.

Although the two I have had so far have given reasonable life for
an inexpensive item, I think it is time to consider a more robust
model.

Is it not possible to replace the bearings?

SteveW

In principle; they are usually self aligning oilite bushes but the
carriers often seem to be motor-specific. A spray of WD40 or similar
often quietens them down for a good while, or a dribble of 3 in 1
provided you can get it in just the right place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:49:56 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 19/02/2013 17:53, SteveW wrote:
On 19/02/2013 09:27, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Is it not possible to replace the bearings?

In principle; they are usually self aligning oilite bushes but the
carriers often seem to be motor-specific. A spray of WD40 or similar
often quietens them down for a good while, or a dribble of 3 in 1
provided you can get it in just the right place.

WD40 is a solvent, white spirit. That frees it up temporarily, but soon evaporates, just leaving less lube in the bearings. Ideally what's wanted is to clean out and regrease the bearings. Next best is lots of oil, sometimes that works well enough, sometimes not.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rbel wrote:

You may want to have a look at the quiet S&P in-line units
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html
We have one for a bathroom/shower extract and it seems to be an
improvement on the Manrose equivalent and has a noticeably better
noise/air movement result.

Finally got round to fitting it, which involved contortions in
the limited roof space.

It really is quiet, you actually need to feel the airflow to
believe it is running.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 14:51, Chris J Dixon wrote:
rbel wrote:

You may want to have a look at the quiet S&P in-line units
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html
We have one for a bathroom/shower extract and it seems to be an
improvement on the Manrose equivalent and has a noticeably better
noise/air movement result.

Finally got round to fitting it, which involved contortions in
the limited roof space.

It really is quiet, you actually need to feel the airflow to
believe it is running.

Well at that price it needs to be!

I fitted a cheapo, allegedly silent model in our roof space years ago,
for our en suite; it quickly became apparent that 'silent' it was not.
Naturally I was charged with the task of replacing it; however it was
fortunate that that particularly round tuit never came home to roost,
since SWMBO actually likes it now, as a white noise generator - firstly,
to conceal bathroom 'noises' which apparently girls don't like (either
their own or other people's) [1]; secondly, to muffle any 'bedroom'
noises from us, which becomes an issue when the kids are old enough to
stay up as late as you do, and thirdly, to drown out the noise of
squabbling teens downstairs if she's having an early night.

So, no more plans to change the extractor...

--
David

Extractor fans ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 25 October 21st 09 11:22 PM
Extractor fans Anna Kettle[_3_] UK diy 8 April 23rd 09 11:30 AM
extractor fans David Hansen UK diy 1 January 28th 07 10:30 AM
extractor fans [email protected] UK diy 0 January 27th 07 02:02 PM
Extractor fans Trevor Smith UK diy 11 May 21st 04 10:04 PM