Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor fans

Who is an expert on extractor fans? What I would like to know is why
does the price vary so wildly, what do you get for your money and is
it worth it

For example, IKEA has several extractor fans costing between £44 and
£175 and then a big jump to several between £400 to £500

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Apr, 21:04, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
Who is an expert on extractor fans? What I would like to know is why
does the price vary so wildly, what do you get for your money and is
it worth it

For example, IKEA has several extractor fans costing between £44 and
£175 and then a big jump to several between £400 to £500

Anna

I suppose that the more expensive ones have better electronics and
motors, but as the duty cycles are quite low, I'm not sure that they
really offer value for money. What that is saying is that I've bought
from Greenwood and RDL who are both inexpensive suppliers and both
extractors have run for 15 years plus.

One thing that I do advise is to go for humidstat extractors with a
pull cord on to the timer as well. This enables extraction when the
air moisture level gets too high, avoids the irritation of the fan
coming unnecessarily when you switch the light on, but does allow you
to blow out the smells when you need to.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 22 Apr, 12:36, Rob G wrote:

One thing that I do advise is to go for humidstat extractors with a
pull cord on to the timer as well. This enables extraction when the
air moisture level gets too high, avoids the irritation of the fan
coming unnecessarily when you switch the light on, but does allow you
to blow out the smells when you need to.

I am of the opinion that average priced humidistat fans are a waste of
time - the first thing to go is the humidistat!

cheers
Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:45:26 -0700, jim wrote:

On 22 Apr, 12:36, Rob G wrote:

One thing that I do advise is to go for humidstat extractors with a
pull cord on to the timer as well. This enables extraction when the
air moisture level gets too high, avoids the irritation of the fan
coming unnecessarily when you switch the light on, but does allow you
to blow out the smells when you need to.

I am of the opinion that average priced humidistat fans are a waste of
time - the first thing to go is the humidistat!

JOOI is the humidity detection part available as a separate module for use
with a fan / whatever? (i.e. a widget which has a humidity sensor and a
relay* inside or whatnot)

Then widget could be wired in parallel with the 'override' switch and
used with any old mains-powered fan... easy to replace anything
that breaks without a huge expense.

* Or something solid-state, so long as shorting it out when the override
switch was on didn't upset it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Jules
writes

On 22 Apr, 12:36, Rob G wrote:

One thing that I do advise is to go for humidstat extractors with a
pull cord on to the timer as well. This enables extraction when the
air moisture level gets too high, avoids the irritation of the fan
coming unnecessarily when you switch the light on, but does allow you
to blow out the smells when you need to.

I am of the opinion that average priced humidistat fans are a waste of
time - the first thing to go is the humidistat!

JOOI is the humidity detection part available as a separate module for use
with a fan / whatever? (i.e. a widget which has a humidity sensor and a
relay* inside or whatnot)

Yes, I had a (IIRC) Manrose one in the last house controlling the
bathroom extractor.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
Who is an expert on extractor fans? What I would like to know is why
does the price vary so wildly, what do you get for your money and is
it worth it

For example, IKEA has several extractor fans costing between £44 and
£175 and then a big jump to several between £400 to £500

Anna, are we talking kitchen extractors here?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:47:09 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
Who is an expert on extractor fans? What I would like to know is why
does the price vary so wildly, what do you get for your money and is
it worth it

For example, IKEA has several extractor fans costing between £44 and
£175 and then a big jump to several between £400 to £500

Anna, are we talking kitchen extractors here?

Oh yes I cant expect you to read my mind !!!

They seem such a lot more expensive than bathroom extractor fans. A
good bathroom fan can be had for 60-100 pounds and OK the kitchen fan
has a stainless steel collector and pipe and maybe a couple of lights
but is that worth £400?

I am off to IKEA today to buy the kitchen cabinets and will look at
the fans while I am there. Assuming I make it safely out the exit door
I expect I shall be more knowledgeable by tomorrow

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:47:09 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
Who is an expert on extractor fans? What I would like to know is why
does the price vary so wildly, what do you get for your money and is
it worth it

For example, IKEA has several extractor fans costing between �44 and
�175 and then a big jump to several between �400 to �500

Anna, are we talking kitchen extractors here?

Oh yes I cant expect you to read my mind !!!

They seem such a lot more expensive than bathroom extractor fans. A
good bathroom fan can be had for 60-100 pounds and OK the kitchen fan
has a stainless steel collector and pipe and maybe a couple of lights
but is that worth �400?

I am off to IKEA today to buy the kitchen cabinets and will look at
the fans while I am there. Assuming I make it safely out the exit door
I expect I shall be more knowledgeable by tomorrow

Anna

I like my fans very quiet:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....oise_reduction

NT

Extractor fans Adrian UK diy 4 December 4th 08 06:37 PM
extractor fans David Hansen UK diy 1 January 28th 07 10:30 AM
extractor fans [email protected] UK diy 0 January 27th 07 02:02 PM
Cooker Extractor Fans The Medway Handyman UK diy 2 August 26th 06 05:56 PM
Extractor fans Trevor Smith UK diy 11 May 21st 04 10:04 PM