Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unscrewing limescale-encrusted thread on a potable water system

Following on from an earlier post about a pressure reducing valve on a
megaflo cylinder, I've decided to remove the cartridge and clean out
the filter.

Guess what - it won't unscrew, and seems to be stuck fast with
limescale. Here's a pic:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...psfa4e63e1.jpg

So the question is: what's the best way to tackle this? I assume
plus-gas and WD40 are not a good idea because this is connected to the
potable water supply. Would it be worth using some sort of descaling
cleaner to remove the limescale, or wouldn't that get down into the
threads?

I'm using a 12" adjustable spanner, so one option is to use a longer
one - like a big set of stilsons, but I'm worried about putting too
much stress on the surrounding pipework.

Nitrate removal from potable water Dave Baker UK diy 19 July 24th 12 10:40 PM
Storing Potable Water .. Gordon Henderson UK diy 29 February 29th 12 06:57 PM
What are some easier ways to clean an encrusted aluminum oven pan?... with residues from roasting thesak Home Repair 8 July 15th 07 05:54 AM
Potable float falve Nicknoxx UK diy 26 February 17th 07 09:10 PM
Seal pipe thread without unscrewing? Joe S Home Repair 18 March 5th 05 02:32 PM