Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plasterer quotes

would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads, scrim all the joints
etc as part of his esteemed quote?

put another way - would the person employed to supply & fit the
pboards (but not skim them) realistically want to be involved in
supplying & fitting corner beads, scrim etc - as (at least in part)
they are critical to the final finish....

I foresee potential for a load of "not me was him" finger point/
blaming bull**** here....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K writes:
would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads, scrim all the joints
etc as part of his esteemed quote?

put another way - would the person employed to supply & fit the
pboards (but not skim them) realistically want to be involved in
supplying & fitting corner beads, scrim etc - as (at least in part)
they are critical to the final finish....

I foresee potential for a load of "not me was him" finger point/
blaming bull**** here....

Scrim and beading is used when the plastering is done, not when
the boards are put up.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article
m,
Jim K writes:
would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads, scrim all the joints
etc as part of his esteemed quote?

put another way - would the person employed to supply & fit the
pboards (but not skim them) realistically want to be involved in
supplying & fitting corner beads, scrim etc - as (at least in part)
they are critical to the final finish....

I foresee potential for a load of "not me was him" finger point/
blaming bull**** here....

Scrim and beading is used when the plastering is done, not when
the boards are put up.

I agree with the scrim but I've put corner beads on at the same time as
boarding to get the flats secured under the boards.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/13 00:37, fred wrote:

I agree with the scrim but I've put corner beads on at the same time as
boarding to get the flats secured under the boards.

Sounds odd, that would leave the corner of the bead below the surface of
the board, which is a bit pointless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 10:17*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jim K writes:

would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads, scrim all the joints
etc *as part of his esteemed quote?

put another way - would the person employed to supply & fit the
pboards (but not skim them) realistically want to be involved in
supplying & fitting corner beads, scrim etc *- as (at least in part)
they are critical to the final finish....

I foresee potential for a load of "not me was him" finger point/
blaming bull**** here....

Scrim and beading is used when the plastering is done, not when
the boards are put up.

--
Andrew Gabriel

It was in days of yore. Scrim these days is sticky and is put on
before the plastering is commenced. Much quicker and easier.
Always a debatable issue who does what. Should be specified at the
time of the quote. In writing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes:
On Feb 6, 10:17*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jim K writes:

would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads, scrim all the joints
etc *as part of his esteemed quote?

put another way - would the person employed to supply & fit the
pboards (but not skim them) realistically want to be involved in
supplying & fitting corner beads, scrim etc *- as (at least in part)
they are critical to the final finish....

I foresee potential for a load of "not me was him" finger point/
blaming bull**** here....

Scrim and beading is used when the plastering is done, not when
the boards are put up.

It was in days of yore. Scrim these days is sticky and is put on
before the plastering is commenced. Much quicker and easier.
Always a debatable issue who does what. Should be specified at the
time of the quote. In writing.

A new roll of scrim is sticky, but it's not after it's been in a
plasterer's bag for 10 minutes, and no plasterer relies on this.
It's applied with a trowel loaded with plaster to make sure it's
fully coated in plaster, and hence during the plastering, and not
during the plasterboarding.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 09:40, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * harry writes:

On Feb 6, 10:17*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jim K writes:

[...]

agreed, it also has a habit of falling off "overnight" if not
plastered ASAP.

I have seen an alleged "pro" plasterer apply self adhesive scrim and
then looked like he'd PVA'd over to stop it falling off whilst other
work was carried on - mmm presume he was on an hourly rate then.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 06:39, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:17*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

In article ,
* * * * Jim K writes:

[...]

"should be" "could be" "would be"

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 21:57, Jim K wrote:
would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads, scrim all the joints
etc as part of his esteemed quote?

put another way - would the person employed to supply & fit the
pboards (but not skim them) realistically want to be involved in
supplying & fitting corner beads, scrim etc - as (at least in part)
they are critical to the final finish....

I foresee potential for a load of "not me was him" finger point/
blaming bull**** here....

Jim K

In my experience, the right man will do whatever it takes to do the job
(assuming he wants the job). He might warn beforehand that some feature
of the existing work could cause some kind of problem, then you can decide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/13 21:57, Jim K wrote:
would a plasterer invited to quote for an already pboarded out job,
expect to supply and fix his own corner beads

Yes.
I think he'd be very surprised if presented with anything other than the
bare boards.

An unusual plasterer Bill UK diy 4 July 28th 12 03:48 PM
How much does a plasterer cost? tim..... UK diy 11 February 18th 09 10:59 PM
Plasterer in Wandsworth sam UK diy 0 August 16th 06 09:20 AM
Neat tip from our plasterer [email protected] UK diy 2 July 14th 05 10:21 PM
novice plasterer EmmaFreegard UK diy 11 September 25th 03 01:48 AM