Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD Trips when lights turned off !

New installation. Four 'uplighters' each equipped with a G24-D2 bulb:

http://www.saving-light-bulbs.co.uk/...c#.URAFaB002So

Simple lighting circuit two way switched, sourced from the same breaker as
other light circuits on that floor. Within two weeks the RCD for that bit of
the installation has tripped five times when the lights are turned off. RCD
was new, has been tested for trip point and time. Circuit (and whole
installation) has been tested using up to date, in cal, certified 17th Ed
equipment. Needless to say I cannot get it to trip on demand. Seems (but
only an impression) to happen when lights have been on for a while).

Presumably there must be an imbalance on switch off sometimes causing this,
but why not every time? Any one experienced anything like this, or has
suggestions what may be happening? Back EMF surge from the ballasts or
something? - I'm puzzled and so is my sparks.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 19:12:43 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Simple lighting circuit two way switched, sourced from the same breaker
as other light circuits on that floor.

New installation shouldn't be a borrowed neutral and I'd expect that to
reliably trip not just "random" and after two weeks. The latter maybe due
to other kit sharing the same MCB appearing and being a bit leaky though.
So there is less headroom in the RCD for extra leakage.

Faulty uplighter? Connect only one and work through them one by one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

The first thing I do with a problem like that (assuming you have not got
immediate access again to the test gear) is to stick on a 500W load to see
what happens.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

As in "tune for minimum smoke" I suppose!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like back emf to me, though have to say, it is not a common thing to
occur. I suppose if you judged it just as the max voltage was on the
ballast, then the back surge would be greatest.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 4, 2013 7:12:43 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

When the switch is opened, it can arc momentarily. The resulting hf causes much increased current through the usual capacitance to earth.

NT