Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any watch repairers?

I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.
The throuble is, the movement doesnt work.
Has anyone a recommendation for someone who could have a look, and
hopefully repair it?
It's a H.Samuel make with Acme Lever movement. Similar are available on
ebay etc, but would be nice if I could save this one.
I'm in the Midlands, but being as it is a small item, posting it would
not be difficult.
Ta
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/13 17:34, A.Lee wrote:
I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.
The throuble is, the movement doesnt work.
Has anyone a recommendation for someone who could have a look, and
hopefully repair it?
It's a H.Samuel make with Acme Lever movement. Similar are available on
ebay etc, but would be nice if I could save this one.
I'm in the Midlands, but being as it is a small item, posting it would
not be difficult.

http://www.chealwatch.com/
I've used them a couple of times, excellent service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

There used to be a regular one in this newsgroup, but his name escapes me.
Maybe someone else can remember?

Kevin Poole?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

There used to be a regular one in this newsgroup, but his name escapes me.
Maybe someone else can remember?

Kevin Poole?

That's the badger! Couldn't remember the name...

He's been seen in here in the last month

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , A.Lee
escribió:

I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.
The throuble is, the movement doesnt work.
Has anyone a recommendation for someone who could have a look, and
hopefully repair it?

Watchcraft
47 Seaview Rd, Wallasey, Merseyside, CH45 4QW
Tel: 0151 630 1355

On of the old-style watch repairers, has been in business for years.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.

Just out of interest, what's the attraction of a pocket watch? I believe
that they've been superseded by wrist-watches, or in the case of today's
yoof, mobile phones. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:51:08 +0000, Tim+
wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.

Just out of interest, what's the attraction of a pocket watch? I believe
that they've been superseded by wrist-watches, or in the case of today's
yoof, mobile phones. ;-)

I wear a wris****ch. I have to keep taking it off whenever I make
vetinarian-stylee internal examinations of musical instruments and
during the rest of the day it gets scratched, scraped and abraded
away. I used to have a pocket watch which stayed clean and bright and
useful but I can't remember what became of it. Anyway: what are these
"mobile phones" of which you speak? Something you hang over a baby's
crib?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket
watch.

Just out of interest, what's the attraction of a pocket watch? I
believe that they've been superseded by wrist-watches, or in the
case of today's yoof, mobile phones. ;-)

I wear a wris****ch. I have to keep taking it off whenever I make
vetinarian-stylee internal examinations of musical instruments and
during the rest of the day it gets scratched, scraped and abraded
away. I used to have a pocket watch which stayed clean and bright and
useful but I can't remember what became of it. Anyway: what are these
"mobile phones" of which you speak? Something you hang over a baby's
crib?

Nick

An unnecessary device that ensures that, wherever you are, you are
still tied to the rest of the world wanting to communicate with you.
There is no peace once you acquire one, unless you strictly ration the
amount of time it is energised.
It has a use, though, in that it encourages dim people to walk into
stationary lamp-posts, thereby hopefully landing them in hospital for a
period of time.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:56:31 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , A.Lee
escribió:

I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.
The throuble is, the movement doesnt work.
Has anyone a recommendation for someone who could have a look, and
hopefully repair it?

Watchcraft
47 Seaview Rd, Wallasey, Merseyside, CH45 4QW
Tel: 0151 630 1355

On of the old-style watch repairers, has been in business for years.

I've been in there (with a late friend of mine). They're real "old
school".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Apellation
Controlee writes

I've been in there (with a late friend of mine). They're real "old
school".

Yep. Been in a few times. Grumpy old bugger but knows his stuff.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
writes

It has a use, though, in that it encourages dim people to walk into
stationary lamp-posts, thereby hopefully landing them in hospital for a
period of time.

and on YouTube, alongside the cat videos and pr0n.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:03:04 +0000
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Davey
writes

It has a use, though, in that it encourages dim people to walk into
stationary lamp-posts, thereby hopefully landing them in hospital
for a period of time.

and on YouTube, alongside the cat videos and pr0n.

It's better seen in the flesh and metal, though! Just stand by the side
of a busy city street, and wait for a while. If it isn't a
lamp-post, it will be another zombie-like pedestrian, or occasionally
even a moving vehicle, varying from stroller to lorry.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:15:44 AM UTC, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:03:04 +0000

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Davey

writes

It has a use, though, in that it encourages dim people to walk into

stationary lamp-posts, thereby hopefully landing them in hospital

for a period of time.

and on YouTube, alongside the cat videos and pr0n.

It's better seen in the flesh and metal, though! Just stand by the side

of a busy city street, and wait for a while. If it isn't a

lamp-post, it will be another zombie-like pedestrian, or occasionally

even a moving vehicle, varying from stroller to lorry.

Also you get to hear details of thier sex life and if you wait long enough they;ll provide their telephone number and postal address then their credit card number.
What I find most amusing is when they ring up a say I'm on the bus and give a location which they are't at they'd just hope to be at that location at that time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Don't be so free and easy with the number.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
[...]

I not only don't give out the number to anybody except close family
and neighbours, I leave the device switched off unless I want to use it,
or I am out and the wife might need to call me in emergency. This has
never happened, so is not a problem.
It's everybody else who seems to have a need to always be talking to
somebody, even if they are trying to talk to a shop assistant at the
same time.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2013 06:36, D.M.Chapman wrote:
escribió:

There used to be a regular one in this newsgroup, but his name escapes me.
Maybe someone else can remember?

Kevin Poole?

That's the badger! Couldn't remember the name...

blush
Strictly clocks, I'm afraid. My rule of thumb is that it must have a
pendulum, so I don't even do small clocks. Not even my own - I've got
two wrist watches waiting for attention, since a friend who I used to
pass watch enquiries onto rather selfishly died young. Owed me a few
drinks or a watch service, too, for all the work I sent him...

It's not a thriving business. "Ordinary" old clocks, even late 18th
century and newer grandfather clocks, are worth no more than they were
25 years ago, and people don't want to pay a couple of hundred pounds to
have, say, a mantel clock repaired that's only worth 50 quid when it's done.

--
Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I've just, after many months, found a reasonable priced pocket watch.

Just out of interest, what's the attraction of a pocket watch?

One needs something in ones waistcoat pocket, with the silver chain
clipped onto the other pocket.
Jesus, yoof of today have no idea of style!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2013 12:30, Davey wrote:

It's everybody else who seems to have a need to always be talking to
somebody, even if they are trying to talk to a shop assistant at the
same time.

....or to their GP during a consultation, as Dr SWMBO informs me

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:57:52 +0000
Lobster wrote:

On 31/01/2013 12:30, Davey wrote:

It's everybody else who seems to have a need to always be talking to
somebody, even if they are trying to talk to a shop assistant at the
same time.

...or to their GP during a consultation, as Dr SWMBO informs me

I hope she treats them accordingly, ie by ignoring them while they are
ignoring her?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On 31/01/2013 12:30, Davey wrote:

It's everybody else who seems to have a need to always be talking to
somebody, even if they are trying to talk to a shop assistant at the
same time.

...or to their GP during a consultation, as Dr SWMBO informs me

I hope she treats them accordingly, ie by ignoring them while they are
ignoring her?

Nah, because that's just the sort who'd put in an complaint, which would
have to be put through the Official Complaints Procedure, which at best
would cost the practice hours of work-time and a lot of stress to resolve.

Or they could just go to and spin a yarn to the local press, who would
lap it up; and due to patient confidentiality issues etc the practice
would not even be able to comment. Happens.
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On 31/01/2013 12:30, Davey wrote:

It's everybody else who seems to have a need to always be talking to
somebody, even if they are trying to talk to a shop assistant at the
same time.

...or to their GP during a consultation, as Dr SWMBO informs me

I hope she treats them accordingly, ie by ignoring them while they are
ignoring her?

Nah, because that's just the sort who'd put in an complaint, which would
have to be put through the Official Complaints Procedure, which at best
would cost the practice hours of work-time and a lot of stress to resolve.

Or they could just go to and spin a yarn to the local press, who would
lap it up; and due to patient confidentiality issues etc the practice
would not even be able to comment. Happens.

What a dismal scenario.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On 31/01/2013 12:30, Davey wrote:

It's everybody else who seems to have a need to always be talking to
somebody, even if they are trying to talk to a shop assistant at the
same time.

...or to their GP during a consultation, as Dr SWMBO informs me

I hope she treats them accordingly, ie by ignoring them while they are
ignoring her?

Nah, because that's just the sort who'd put in an complaint, which would
have to be put through the Official Complaints Procedure, which at best
would cost the practice hours of work-time and a lot of stress to resolve.

Or they could just go to and spin a yarn to the local press, who would
lap it up; and due to patient confidentiality issues etc the practice
would not even be able to comment. Happens.

What a dismal scenario.

And one of the reasons that SWMBO and her colleagues repeat the "only
4,456 days left until we can retire" mantra to each other every morning
--
David

Ever wonder what to do with an old watch? Joe Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 July 23rd 12 12:09 PM
Watch box Bigpole Woodworking 1 August 28th 06 07:58 PM
Watch out watch out theres a bodger about! tarquinlinbin UK diy 3 November 12th 05 07:25 PM
Any repairers near Parramatta,nsw Australia here that want to have a look at an amp :D ? bytraper Electronics Repair 0 October 1st 05 10:02 AM
Where do prof. repairers get parts? James Sweet Electronics Repair 9 September 21st 04 04:16 PM