Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remove fingerprints from Stainless Steel Cooker Hood

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2013 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

DRY Microfibre cloth works for stainless splashback here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:37:50 +0000, Dan
wrote:

On 22/01/2013 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

DRY Microfibre cloth works for stainless splashback here.

+1, it's what microfibre excel at.

Tho the poster said 'stain'...?
Sorry if you explained it before, but has it burned on somehow?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2013 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.
Seriously. It works.

My cooker hood came with one sample oil-impregnated cleaning cloth

http://neff-eshop.com/eshop/neff/gb/article311140.htm

At that price I didn't buy any more ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:00:28 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 1/22/2013 5:03 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 22/01/2013 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also
seems to have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Yes. It does.

The problem with abrasives is that they remove printed lettering on
yer SS finish.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 1/22/2013 5:03 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 22/01/2013 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also
seems to have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Yes. It does.

The problem with abrasives is that they remove printed lettering on
yer SS finish.

Baby oil isn't terribly abrasive :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:03:24 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Yes, it does.

But surely the Other Answer is also appropriate: WD40...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Yes, it does.

But surely the Other Answer is also appropriate: WD40...

Thomas Prufer

Or the *other* other answer - angle grinder .... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

.. .
wrote:

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Yes, it does.

But surely the Other Answer is also appropriate: WD40...

Thomas Prufer

Or the *other* other answer - angle grinder .... :-)

Arfa

Surely power washer...
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 22/01/2013 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Yep. We use soapy water followed by a microfibre cloth, and then finish off
with the baby oil on all our stainless steel splash-backs and extraction
hooding in our burger joint. However, I have to say that when I installed a
'stainless' chimney-style extractor in my kitchen at home, like the OP, I
struggled to remove the fingerprints from the work.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/13 21:25, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

We use Johnsons baby oil on our SS cooker. Forget where the idea came
from but it give a nice even finish with no fingerprints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/01/2013 22:11, pcb1962 wrote:
Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

They flippin are I had to move ours and wrapped in newspaper to protect
it then of course it was awkward to position while attaching nuts &
bolts to secure it.
So got a couple of marks where the tape was and a few fingerprints, it
doesnt come off with hot soapy water.

I will try the baby oil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:25:57 -0000, "Wesley" wrote:

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

We use Barkeeper's Friend on our stainless splashback, before
finishing off with a microfibre cloth.
Looks better if you 'lay off' as if you were painting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2013 05:59, Apellation Controlee wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:25:57 -0000, "Wesley" wrote:

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

We use Barkeeper's Friend on our stainless splashback, before
finishing off with a microfibre cloth.
Looks better if you 'lay off' as if you were painting.

Windolene is mostly fine chalk. If there's any texture or grain for it
to penetrate, it will. Great on glass but I've seen it leave a fine
deposit on other surfaces.
The trade uses tomato ketchup to clean s/s but that's mainly where hard
water is a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Right. I'm off to Boots for some baby oil :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2013 10:13, Wesley wrote:
Right. I'm off to Boots for some baby oil :-)

It'll look good at first but will accumulate grime
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-23, stuart noble wrote:
On 23/01/2013 05:59, Apellation Controlee wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:25:57 -0000, "Wesley" wrote:

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

We use Barkeeper's Friend on our stainless splashback, before
finishing off with a microfibre cloth.
Looks better if you 'lay off' as if you were painting.

Windolene is mostly fine chalk. If there's any texture or grain for it
to penetrate, it will. Great on glass but I've seen it leave a fine
deposit on other surfaces.
The trade uses tomato ketchup to clean s/s but that's mainly where hard
water is a problem.

Having had S/S faced appliances in a previous house, I'd never have it
again. I see little point in having a finish that is hard to keep clean
in a kitchen.

I also see no point in those worktops where you can't tell if it needs
cleaning or not. I'm sorry I ever got conned into getting rid of the
pale coloured one that showed every mark. Women just have to replace
everything it seems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes

Having had S/S faced appliances in a previous house, I'd never have it
again. I see little point in having a finish that is hard to keep clean
in a kitchen.

What he said.

Bought a big American style side-by-side fridge/freezer some years ago
with stainless steel doors. Big mistake. But agreed that baby oil
works.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2013 11:26, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Huge
writes

Having had S/S faced appliances in a previous house, I'd never have it
again. I see little point in having a finish that is hard to keep clean
in a kitchen.

What he said.

Bought a big American style side-by-side fridge/freezer some years ago
with stainless steel doors. Big mistake. But agreed that baby oil
works.

FWIW I had a Siemens SS dishwasher that had a 'no fingerprint' boast on
the marketing blurb - and it worked.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson :
Bought a big American style side-by-side fridge/freezer some years ago
with stainless steel doors. Big mistake. But agreed that baby oil
works.

We've had a biggish stainless-steel-doored fridge-freezer for 12 years
now. Yes it shows finger marks but a quick wipe over with a microfibre
cloth soon sorts it. I'd happily have another. Unless stainless steel
doors are not all the same? Ours have a distinctly brushed look,
definitely not a mirror finish.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:46:31 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Mike Tomlinson :
Bought a big American style side-by-side fridge/freezer some years ago
with stainless steel doors. Big mistake. But agreed that baby oil
works.

We've had a biggish stainless-steel-doored fridge-freezer for 12 years
now. Yes it shows finger marks but a quick wipe over with a microfibre
cloth soon sorts it. I'd happily have another. Unless stainless steel
doors are not all the same? Ours have a distinctly brushed look,
definitely not a mirror finish.

There are umpteen grades - perhaps variants would be a better term -
of so-called stainless steel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Mike Tomlinson :
Bought a big American style side-by-side fridge/freezer some years ago
with stainless steel doors. Big mistake. But agreed that baby oil
works.

We've had a biggish stainless-steel-doored fridge-freezer for 12 years
now. Yes it shows finger marks but a quick wipe over with a microfibre
cloth soon sorts it. I'd happily have another. Unless stainless steel
doors are not all the same? Ours have a distinctly brushed look,
definitely not a mirror finish.

Presumably they must do, I've never seen anyone whining about
stainless steel sinks being a problem with fingermarks and have
never even noticed any problem with my sinks in that regard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Apellation Controlee" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:25:57 -0000, "Wesley" wrote:

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

We use Barkeeper's Friend on our stainless splashback, before
finishing off with a microfibre cloth.
Looks better if you 'lay off' as if you were painting.

I use Betterware ss cleaner. No marks left after wiping dry with kitchen
paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lawrence
writes

"Apellation Controlee" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:25:57 -0000, "Wesley" wrote:

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also
seems to
have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

We use Barkeeper's Friend on our stainless splashback, before
finishing off with a microfibre cloth.
Looks better if you 'lay off' as if you were painting.

I use Betterware ss cleaner. No marks left after wiping dry with
kitchen paper.

Wouldn't have the faintest idea what to use - don't keep a dog ....
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:25:57 PM UTC, Wesley wrote:
Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to

have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

I still have lots of marks on mine from installation.
Fingerprints are grease, so washing up liquid should do it. Or white spirit.
Not tried it but by all reports baby oil works - I don't really like the idea of them squeezing babies though.
Simon.