Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decorators daily rates?

I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any money
in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a better
overall deal working for McDonalds.

Is this just a local thing? What are rates like elsewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any
money in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a
better overall deal working for McDonalds.

Is this just a local thing? What are rates like elsewhere?

Are they proper businesses or just people working for cash in hand? Do they
do 8 hours work every day?

BTW the minimum wage of £6.19 x 8 = £49.52 is not a take home pay of £49.52

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any
money in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a
better overall deal working for McDonalds.

Is this just a local thing? What are rates like elsewhere?

Are they proper businesses or just people working for cash in hand? Do
they do 8 hours work every day?

BTW the minimum wage of £6.19 x 8 = £49.52 is not a take home pay of
£49.52

Meds is a southerner :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any money
in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

In Leicester:
Painters, £80/day is typical, £100 if they are quick at it.
Proper decorators, then £120, but so much competition around that I dont
think many actually get that.

TBH, it isnt a really skilled job (yes, I know there is a difference
between a trained painter and a labourer), but anyone can emulsion walls
and get a reasonable result, so the lower end of the market is going to
be inhabited by lower wages.
Anyone any good will want to do a quality job, and wont charge £70/day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any money
in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a better
overall deal working for McDonalds.

I suppose that it depends if the alternative is nothing.

As SE you aren't going to get anything off the dole and I personally doubt
that a 30-something turning up at McDs would get the job.

If you can keep yourself fully "employer" at that rate you can turn-over
15K, and I doubt that the tax-man will see much of that.

And I bet that they aren't insured either

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote

I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any money
in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a better
overall deal working for McDonalds.

But don't get to work for themselves.

Is this just a local thing? What are rates like elsewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote

I don't do a lot of decorating for clients, doesn't seem to be any money
in it.

I tend to do those 'little jobs', last thing I painted was a 10 x 8
kitchen ceiling & that was part of a list of other jobs.

Locally I've found decorators with a daily rate of £70!

How can you run a business at those rates?

Minimum wage for an 8 hour day is almost £50, so they could get a better
overall deal working for McDonalds.

But don't get to work for themselves.

Is this just a local thing? What are rates like elsewhere?

RU an Australian prick?

Got the decorators in.... Charlie UK diy 18 October 6th 11 03:26 PM
Decorators Caulk? mo UK diy 32 March 29th 10 06:29 PM
Home Decorators Collection brooklyn sual Home Repair 1 December 3rd 08 01:30 PM
Home Decorators Collection jek[dot]don Home Repair 3 November 19th 08 12:08 AM
decorators rates dave manchester UK diy 0 February 26th 05 08:32 PM