Junior Member

Default towerstat rf turning off before set temp reached

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help me? I have had a towerstat rf transmitter and receiver on a potterton combi boiler for past 4 years. I've never had a problem before, then a few months ago I noticed that the heating is switching off before reaching the set desired temperature.The fan symbol, however stays on.

I have changed the batteries, and still I am having the same problem. After reading through the manual, it states that if someone in the next house has the same transmitter/receiver, this can interfere with/control mine,however I do not believe my only neighbour has this.

Could a wireless router interfere with the RF signals being sent between the transmitter/receiver?, although I have had a router for years and not had a problem previously.

The red led light on the receiver never turns to green, even when the heating is actually on, and I have read that it should be green?

I also thought that there may be a problem with a discrepancy between the dip switches in the receiver and transmitter, thereby making the temp switch off before reaching the set temp,however the fan symbol stays on beyond the heating going off....

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what is causing this problem, could you please reply to this post, I would be very grateful for any advice at this stage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Julie Emery wrote:

[...]

The RF frequency used by your stat is radically different from that used
by your router so possibly not a culprit.
Skimming through the manual I see there is a 'Span' function which it
the difference between the on and off temperatures - have you maybe
accidentally alter this setting?
It does look as if you should see some green led activity. The manual
says that if the green does not come on then you have insufficient
signal. Have you moved anything in the house (mainly large and metallic)
after which you had the problem? Like a filing cabinet, metal framed
furniture or a fridge/cooker/dish washer etc.

Just a few thoughts

Good Luck

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Julie Emery Julie.Emery
scribeth thus

[...]

AFAIR these units work in the 434 MHz band which is a long way removed
from wi-fi and wireless routers etc which almost without exception at in
the 2.4Ghz band. A few use the 5 Ghz allocation tho these are quite
rare.

I would imagine that the unit is faulty if no one else at all is using
it, 434 MHz that is, and there should be differing codes for these units
as they can and do get used in close proximity to each other..

It might be that its being interfered with a TETRA system which uses 395
odd these can put out strong signals which will cause a problem for lo
power devices like these.

Have any or are there any mobile phone towers close by?.

However I'd put money on a duff unit tho its hard to say which unit is
at fault....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/13 17:40, Julie Emery wrote:

[...]

Then you have a problem.

I would suggest proceeding as if it were freshly installed. Fit new
batteries to the sender if its battery powered, and follow instructions
on how to set it up and test it, and if it still don't work replace it all.

I also thought that there may be a problem with a discrepancy between
the dip switches in the receiver and transmitter, thereby making the
temp switch off before reaching the set temp,however the fan symbol
stays on beyond the heating going off....

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what is causing this problem, could
you please reply to this post, I would be very grateful for any advice
at this stage.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:40:51 +0000, Julie Emery wrote:

Could a wireless router interfere with the RF signals being sent
between the transmitter/receiver?,

Not likely. Have you bought (or your neighbour(s) bought) any other
wireless/cordless stuff recently? Sockets or lights that you can switch
on/off or dim remotely. Alarm system?

Though from what others have said it looks like a weak signal move the
stat nearer the receiver and see if you can get a green light.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Julie Emery" wrote in message

[...]

I can't say for certain but I believe that my Worcester Digistat notes the
rise-rate and extrapolates. It then guesses when it can remove the call for
heat leaving the residual rad heat to reach set-point. Does your temp
actually reach the set-point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2013 17:40, Julie Emery wrote:

The red led light on the receiver never turns to green, even when the
heating is actually on, and I have read that it should be green?

There is red AND green light on my Towerstat receiver, mounted one above
the other with no gap between the two lights.

The red light is ALWAYS on if there is mains power to the
receiver/boiler and the green light comes on when the boiler is
providing heat. From a distance the green light may be hard to see as
the red light dominates.

There may be a lag of around 30/60 seconds between the "fan" symbol on
the thermostat coming on and the boiler firing up, and then the green
light turns on. It's the boiler firing that causes the green light to
come on, not necessary the "fan" symbol on the thermostat.

I also thought that there may be a problem with a discrepancy between
the dip switches in the receiver and transmitter, thereby making the
temp switch off before reaching the set temp,however the fan symbol
stays on beyond the heating going off....

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what is causing this problem, could
you please reply to this post, I would be very grateful for any advice
at this stage.

Why not dismount the transmitter and take it to the receiver to see if
the green light comes on with a distance of a few feet between
transmitter and receiver?

The thermostat may still be calling for heat but the boiler has been
turned off by its own timer control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 January 2013 22:35:41 UTC, alan wrote:

The red light is ALWAYS on if there is mains power to the

receiver/boiler and the green light comes on when the boiler is

providing heat. From a distance the green light may be hard to see as

the red light dominates.

There may be a lag of around 30/60 seconds between the "fan" symbol on

the thermostat coming on and the boiler firing up, and then the green

light turns on. It's the boiler firing that causes the green light to

come on, not necessary the "fan" symbol on the thermostat.

I doubt that, the green light on the receiver merely signifies "the call for heat" by the thermostat (and proves the wireless link is working). It does NOT mean that the boiler is running....merely it has been "called to run"

I also thought that there may be a problem with a discrepancy between

the dip switches in the receiver and transmitter, thereby making the

temp switch off before reaching the set temp,however the fan symbol

stays on beyond the heating going off....

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what is causing this problem, could

you please reply to this post, I would be very grateful for any advice

at this stage.

Why not dismount the transmitter and take it to the receiver to see if

the green light comes on with a distance of a few feet between

transmitter and receiver?

The thermostat may still be calling for heat but the boiler has been

turned off by its own timer control.

in most usual set ups that would also mean that the red led on the receiver would be off, assuming the receiver is wired "normally" into the wiring centre of the heating system...

OP - do all the leds on the receiver go OFF when the heating is usually OFF?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/13 12:13, Jim K wrote:
On

The thermostat may still be calling for heat but the boiler has been

turned off by its own timer control.

in most usual set ups that would also mean that the red led on the receiver would be off, assuming the receiver is wired "normally" into the wiring centre of the heating system...

OP - do all the leds on the receiver go OFF when the heating is usually OFF?

they do on mine. But there is no standard.

red indicates fault. flashing red indicates another fault.
green indicates call for heat.
and mine aint te same as the OPs./

Jim K

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 13:05:21 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

they do on mine. But there is no standard.

wot I said

red indicates fault. flashing red indicates another fault.

green indicates call for heat.

and mine aint te same as the OPs./

mmm - how wonderfully irrelevant then...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Is the pump still running? If so the boiler thermostat could be turning just
the boiler off.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Julie Emery
writes

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help me?

You're on diybanter, you're beyond help

--
geoff

towerstat rf erry UK diy 1 August 30th 10 09:43 PM
Question: Temp reached by black anodized aluminum in direct sun Jon Anderson Metalworking 31 January 25th 08 12:19 AM
Towerstat RF yshaikh01 UK diy 4 December 26th 06 04:57 PM
furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached [email protected] Home Repair 7 October 3rd 06 03:58 PM
furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 2nd 06 09:51 PM