Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default That should not happen should it?

Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not drain off.
Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The common drain point
is the hopper and as I have left my steps at work and I cannot get up there
for a look. It's not that cold is it?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not drain off.
Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The common drain point
is the hopper and as I have left my steps at work and I cannot get up there
for a look. It's not that cold is it?

If one of the taps was dripping for an extended period the external
hopper could well block with ice.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not drain
off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The common
drain point is the hopper and as I have left my steps at work and I
cannot get up there for a look. It's not that cold is it?

Thinks ARW deep in thought - how can I blame the f***ing apprentice for that
one?

Just wash your hands of the whole thing then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not drain off.
Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The common drain point
is the hopper and as I have left my steps at work and I cannot get up
there for a look. It's not that cold is it?

--
Adam

2 + 2 = frozen up.
HTH
(Happy to help).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/13 19:09, ARW wrote:
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not drain off.
Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The common drain point
is the hopper and as I have left my steps at work and I cannot get up there
for a look. It's not that cold is it?

yes. It is

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/01/13 19:09, ARW wrote:
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not
drain off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The
common drain point is the hopper and as I have left my steps at
work and I cannot get up there for a look. It's not that cold is it?

yes. It is

******* plastic bag blocking the hopper. Just borrowed some steps from the
neighbours.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/13 19:09, ARW wrote:
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not
drain off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off. The
common drain point is the hopper and as I have left my steps at
work and I cannot get up there for a look. It's not that cold is it?

yes. It is

******* plastic bag blocking the hopper. Just borrowed some steps from the
neighbours.

The apprentice must know where you live...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/01/13 19:09, ARW wrote:
Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not
drain off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off.
The common drain point is the hopper and as I have left my
steps at work and I cannot get up there for a look. It's not
that cold is it?
yes. It is

******* plastic bag blocking the hopper. Just borrowed some steps
from the neighbours.

The apprentice must know where you live...

Had he learnt anything then he would know that you should use expanding
foam.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:36:10 -0000, ARW wrote:

Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not
drain off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off.

******* plastic bag blocking the hopper. Just borrowed some steps from
the neighbours.

How does that stop the pipes draining into the hopper and the hopper then
overflowing?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:36:10 -0000, ARW wrote:

Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not
drain off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off.

******* plastic bag blocking the hopper. Just borrowed some steps from
the neighbours.

How does that stop the pipes draining into the hopper and the hopper then
overflowing?

Keeps the hopper full overnight so it can freeze and then that blocks the
pipe? (Assuming the ends of the pipes are below the top of the hopper - if
they end above it, I can't see how it would (not) work either.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:12:26 +0000, Alan Braggins wrote:

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:36:10 -0000, ARW wrote:

Just washed my hands at the bathroom sink. The water would not drain
off. Just tried the bath, the water would not drain off.

******* plastic bag blocking the hopper. Just borrowed some steps from
the neighbours.

How does that stop the pipes draining into the hopper and the hopper
then overflowing?

Keeps the hopper full overnight so it can freeze and then that blocks
the pipe? (Assuming the ends of the pipes are below the top of the
hopper - if they end above it, I can't see how it would (not) work
either.)

Just had a blocked bathroom sink. Bath draining all right, hopper clear.
I had forgotton that (for some strange reason) the sink outlet pipe goes
all the way down to the drain where the hopper's pipe empties. Think one
of the kids left a tap slightly on last night. Ran hot water down the
bath and it got warm enough to clear it without getting hands dirty!