Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default subsidised loft insulation report

Just had loft insulated for 99 pounds. It was worth it, just !

The loft had been boarded between the binders (about half the loft area), then just ceiling joists to the end walls.

So, they fitted 100mm between the joists and 200mm across the joists in the unfloored area, which is what I'd expect.
But in the middle area they only put down 200mm (maybe they assumed there was already some under the boarding), although as its slatted, you can see there isn't. And the trouble is the scored "earthwool" insulation tends to gape easily, so there were lots of gaps, including around any woodwork in the loft that was in the way. Very poorly done in the little gable over the bay windows.
And a gap left around the edges to maintain ventilation was rather enthusiastic, especially the roof has barely any soffit, no edge ventilation and tiles without felt.

Well, I knew what they were obviously going to do from the rolls the one guy asked the other one to bring up, as he asked for far to few rolls of 100mm stuff, and it sounded like they were short of it (on the first job of the morning !?). It so happened I had some rolls of 170mm insulation left over from the extension roof that needed to be used up or thrown away, so I layed this over the middle section and pushed a bit down toward the eves.

At the end I asked him if he had laid the same amount across the whole floor and he looked slightly shifty and said yes !
He then seemed surprised that I was paying for the job, so perhaps he went away feeling a bit like a cowboy. But more likely all the jobs are done in a slightly slapdash way.

Also, just replacing a rather forlorn bag of insulation stapled to the back of the loft hatch with some left over celotex !

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/01/2013 12:25, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

I got mine done about 6 months ago (Scotland) loft + cavity wall for
free. About 2 weeks ago a guy appeared at the door asking if he could
check the work, he is bringing them back out to put a couple of roof
vents in, insulate the cold water tank and insulate the hatch which
apparently they should have done at the time.
Pleasantly surprised considering it was free that they are actually
checking up on the work done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:28:02 PM UTC, ss wrote:
[...]

That should be fun, since I have modified what they have done !
The original form says that "their technicians" have to check the work before and after, but nobody checked before.
My next job is to put up some shelves on the big 9" gable wall for most of the original storage, and I think a storage platform will go in for the few heavier items (an oil-filled radiator and a large tent).
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had to leave my hatch uninsulated due to the ladder being very close to
it when its closed from below. Its one of those pantographic folding
ladders attached to the side but lays across the door.
Shame that.

Brian

Email:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 14, 3:28*pm, ss wrote:
[...]

Nothing is free. Someone is paying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/01/2013 20:45, harry wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

Not sure of the exact detail but I get for free and the companies tot up
the green energy savings and sell them to large indudtrial businesses
who can buy them then pollute like F...
The things a scam from beginning to end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:00:21 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
We had to leave my hatch uninsulated due to the ladder being very close to

it when its closed from below. Its one of those pantographic folding

ladders attached to the side but lays across the door.

Shame that.

Ah, my hatch opens upwards. Do most loft ladder setups work with a downwards opening door?
I suppose you could insulate the hatch on the underside, but it would obviously protrude from the ceiling.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 01:33:14 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson wrote:

On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:00:21 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
We had to leave my hatch uninsulated due to the ladder being very close to

it when its closed from below. Its one of those pantographic folding

ladders attached to the side but lays across the door.

Shame that.

Ah, my hatch opens upwards. Do most loft ladder setups work with a downwards opening door?
I suppose you could insulate the hatch on the underside, but it would obviously protrude from the ceiling.
Simon.

The ones that I've installed/used do. Mine is a retrofit to give a good size
(it would just take an 8x4 sheet with careful handling and enough bods to
keep it away from the roof) and the toes of my shoes (47) touch the hatch,
so insulation isn't an option.
I asked in here about an isulationg cover and got some ideas but nobody
posted any tuits. Perhaps in the warmer weather...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:23:29 PM UTC, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Could you have an insulated flap on top of the hatch that somehow moves out of the way when the flap is opened ?
Or how about a string pulled from below that drags a blanket of insulation over the hatch ?
And so on ...
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 16:32, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Easier to convert to a drop down flap I would have thought

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:32:47 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Could you have an insulated flap on top of the hatch that somehow moves out of the way when the flap is opened ?
Or how about a string pulled from below that drags a blanket of insulation over the hatch ?
And so on ...

http://www.spray-insulation.ie/attic_tent.htm

http://tinyurl.com/attic-stairway-insulator

http://tinyurl.com/cornings-glass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:59:20 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

[...]

Not when it has a triple-thickness ladder on it!
I could use the insulated box suggestion as it's easy to drop the hatch. go
up the ladder and then move the cover back. My only though, for a quick,
cheap, easy answer that would have some useful effect is to use a cheap TOG
13 duvet. That should be big enough to cover the whole area and drape down
to the floor in the loft and, in most cases, could be shoved out of the way
by whatever I'm carrying up there.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Could you have an insulated flap on top of the hatch that somehow moves out of the way when the flap is opened ?
Or how about a string pulled from below that drags a blanket of insulation over the hatch ?
And so on ...

http://www.spray-insulation.ie/attic_tent.htm

http://tinyurl.com/attic-stairway-insulator

http://tinyurl.com/cornings-glass

Some good ideas there, thank you. I'd DIM of course as the cost to buy would
outway the saving in cost of energy (upstairs is only about 14 - 15 deg. C).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:05:34 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

Some good ideas there, thank you. I'd DIM of course as the cost to buy would
outway the saving in cost of energy (upstairs is only about 14 - 15 deg. C).

I just glued 100mm of polystyrene sheet to my loft hatch and sealed
the seating rim with draught excluder plus devised a tension strap
from curtain spring to hold it down tight. I'm thinking of a more
permanent arrangement, akin to over-centre buckles, etc.
It's surprising what a difference it made, as sitting under it, I was
aware of a slight draught - that's totally gone now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some good ideas there, thank you. I'd DIM of course as the cost to buy would
outway the saving in cost of energy (upstairs is only about 14 - 15 deg. C).

I just glued 100mm of polystyrene sheet to my loft hatch and sealed
the seating rim with draught excluder plus devised a tension strap
from curtain spring to hold it down tight. I'm thinking of a more
permanent arrangement, akin to over-centre buckles, etc.
It's surprising what a difference it made, as sitting under it, I was
aware of a slight draught - that's totally gone now.

I'd love to put insulation on the hatch but there is a space of about 50mm
and my feet take up all of that, so the insulation has to be over the ladder
and not under it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

loft insulation Janice UK diy 0 January 17th 08 12:42 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
Subsidised cavity wall insulation - good value? Rich UK diy 16 November 2nd 05 10:11 AM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
Loft Insulation Dean Richard Benson UK diy 192 February 6th 04 03:31 PM