Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS drills around £100?

My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 19:51, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I don't reckon you would go far wrong with that Bosch. Dunno about
Sparky, Drivel thinks they are great, which puts me off.

ITS London have some good deals on (prices are + VAT)
http://www.its.co.uk/Power-Tools/Drills-SDS-.htm

The Hitachi's are cheap, if they are as good as my 18v Hitachi SDS I'd
be well pleased.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

I bought the Bosch, or one just like it a few months ago. Truly
excellent compared to my old Dewalt 18V sds drill.

However, I was drilling a 107mm core through brick on Friday, and it
took an age, as the drill hasnt enough power. The clutch kept
slipping/clicking, indicating that the drill thought it had jammed,
when, in fact it was just drilling a large, deep hole.
It did get through eventually, and any other hole has been fine, it is
common for me to drill 22mm holes through double skin brick, and no
problems there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:51:38 PM UTC, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks

like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a

ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),

then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 )..

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with

my hard-earned?

Cheers

I got this one, although mine is all grey, but the controls are the same.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/195538

I think is something quite good and rebadged - it had good review at the time.
I have had it about 8 years, no problems at all, dropped it from about 15 feet onto its side and no damage !
I don't think it has much of a clutch though, and I notice Wickes has a Makita for less money.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 19:51, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I would take serious note of the weight difference. Only if I felt I
really needed the extra power of the Sparky would I consider it further.
There again, I am an occasional user and that extra weight would not be
welcome to my arms. You might be muscle-man!

I got a cheapie Lidl one. And, given the price, very impressed. It spent
several hours the other day running full pelt with a pump attached.
Didn't even get slightly warm. But am sure that the Bosch would be a
much nicer beast to use.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 19:51, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I don't reckon you would go far wrong with that Bosch. Dunno about
Sparky, Drivel thinks they are great, which puts me off.

ITS London have some good deals on (prices are + VAT)
http://www.its.co.uk/Power-Tools/Drills-SDS-.htm

The Hitachi's are cheap, if they are as good as my 18v Hitachi SDS I'd
be well pleased.

THanks TMH. That site's quite tempting: A Makita for only another 20.
Likewise, the Hitachi looks good. Choices choices huh? The only
downside is that it will take a few days to arrive and I'm hoping to
finish the little rewire job I'm doing tomorrow.

It's been such a long time since I cut out bricks for a socket back box
that the last one I did was by hand and it took forever (didn't have an
SDS then). This afternoon I drilled half a dozen holes then chiselled
out with the SDS and each one took just a few minutes. Pretty
impressive.....until it went phut, of course!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 20:16, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

That is a little bit of a concern, as a new outlet for the upstairs bog
is on the horizon, which will require the same exercise. Perhaps the
fact you got there in the end says that it is pretty much up to the job,
taken gently?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

I got this one, although mine is all grey, but the controls are the same.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/195538

I think is something quite good and rebadged - it had good review at the time.

Badged Kress I think. Pretty good kit - I've got one.

http://goo.gl/9bTZm

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 20:30, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

I wonder if they'd let me do that drop test on a few in the shop?
Sounds like a useful property in a tool.
More importantly, one of the reviews says it comes with a 5 year
guarantee. If that's the case it could be a good reason to buy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 12 January 2013 19:51 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I've got a Hitachi 2.4kg similar to this:

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/4....4%20Kg%20240v

Been quite impressed - it was more efficient that an old 8kg ALDI jobbie
(chisled faster, due I guess to better action, but could not go as long
before getting hot).

For "regular" work, it is good.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 20:50, GMM wrote:
On 12/01/2013 20:16, A.Lee wrote:
GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967
).

[...]

To be fair, even my 780W Makita needs to take it slow on 107mm cores.
Its not lack of power, but just the point the clutch lets go.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Its a Kress - not bad, but not as good a deal as it once was.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:49:07 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

No, it seems like the price of "pro" makes like Makita / Ryobi etc. has come down in the last few years.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 21:47, John Rumm wrote:

To be fair, even my 780W Makita needs to take it slow on 107mm cores.
Its not lack of power, but just the point the clutch lets go.

In the past couple of week I used my 2k Dewalt for a 110mm hole in 10
inches brick/plaster and had the clutch protection cut in a few times.
Easily solved by withdrawing the core bit back a bit and then going back
in. I think the main problem was that the mainly soft bricks had very
hard bits, as seen today while chiselling out (with the drill) a few of
the same type of brick. Sometimes it was like a knife through butter and
at other times the it was hard work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 19:51, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Cheers

I don't reckon you would go far wrong with that Bosch. Dunno about
Sparky, Drivel thinks they are great, which puts me off.

My Neighbour has that Bosch drill, I borrow it frequently ... good bit
of kit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Look at max diam though .... 22mm

For the WC pipe ... you would be better to hire a machine * diamond core
drill for the job.
I did when I wanted to put Gas Flue in .... Local Hire shop does 1/2
day hire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GMM GlMiMa-AT-
yahoo.co.uk@?.? scribeth thus
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

Simple answer get a Makita .. and thats it.

Best tool I've ever bought .. drilled god alone knows how many holes and
the chisel attachment .. almost demolished houses with that:!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:38:11 -0800 (PST) Sm_jamieson wrote :
No, it seems like the price of "pro" makes like Makita / Ryobi etc.
has come down in the last few years.

A number of people on our renovate forum have expressed the view that
Makita quality is not what it was

http://www.renovateforum.com/f216/ma...roblem-107806/

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ll-230v/92967)..

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I don't reckon you would go far wrong with that Bosch. *Dunno about
Sparky, Drivel thinks they are great, which puts me off.

ITS London have some good deals on (prices are + VAT)http://www.its.co.uk/Power-Tools/Drills-SDS-.htm

The Hitachi's are cheap, if they are as good as my 18v Hitachi SDS I'd
be well pleased.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Sparky comes from the same place as Bosch. The DIY version. Been OK
with me.

I have had a few SDS drills.
The el cheapos won't stand continuous use but are OK if used for five
min and given a rest to cool off.

They are poor on demolition work but as good as the expensive ones for
drilling subject to power and weight.

So it depends on how you intend to use it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/13 19:51, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I bought a Bosch GBH2-24DFR in 1999, and it's had periods of extremely
hard use/abuse - probably the best value I've had from any tool.
Recently used to drive a 150mm core cutter (OK the clutch cut in too
often, but it still went through 400mm solid brick). I've also torn up
concrete laden with flints. But in its main job - driving 22 and 32mm
SDS bits through masonry, it's brilliant.

It has had one strip-down/rebuild (by me) when the drill/hammer/chisel
selector switch got dodgy - but never needed any spares.

If you can afford the extra, some Bosch SDS models have interchangeable
SDS and 3-jaw chucks - extremely useful IME.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 10:56, Dom Ostrowski wrote:
But in its main job - driving 22 and 32mm
SDS bits through masonry, it's brilliant.

32mm? 'kinell. What's the application?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 10:56, Dom Ostrowski wrote:
But in its main job - driving 22 and 32mm
SDS bits through masonry, it's brilliant.

32mm? 'kinell. What's the application?

I mostly use it for making big holes.

Actually I can't remember what I originally bought it for, but several
times I've drilled through masonry, and lined the hole with plastic
overflow or barrier pipe. Then run multiple cables through, with room to
add another cable in future if necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 22:56, Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

That with SDS masonry bit though and not a core bit... You can also
usually get a bit more out of them than the official spec that needs to
be a tad conservative.

For the WC pipe ... you would be better to hire a machine * diamond core
drill for the job.
I did when I wanted to put Gas Flue in .... Local Hire shop does 1/2
day hire

OOI, What did they charge for the half day?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tony Bryer
scribeth thus
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:38:11 -0800 (PST) Sm_jamieson wrote :
No, it seems like the price of "pro" makes like Makita / Ryobi etc.
has come down in the last few years.

A number of people on our renovate forum have expressed the view that
Makita quality is not what it was

http://www.renovateforum.com/f216/ma...roblem-107806/

Seems by the look of it there're making some stuff now in China ...

However I've just bought a Makita 4350CT jigsaw the 720 watt one and
it's made in the UK of all places!..

Its from what I've used it for thus far a fine unit, feels very solid
and "industrial" certainly better then the Bosch one it replaces.

The only thing I can fault it on is the case is a bit on the flimsy
side that could have been better.

Maybe there trying to compete on price and thats probably not the way to
go....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 4:53 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tony Bryer
scribeth thus

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:38:11 -0800 (PST) Sm_jamieson wrote :
No, it seems like the price of "pro" makes like Makita / Ryobi etc.
has come down in the last few years.

A number of people on our renovate forum have expressed the view that
Makita quality is not what it was

http://www.renovateforum.com/f216/ma...roblem-107806/

Seems by the look of it there're making some stuff now in China ...

However I've just bought a Makita 4350CT jigsaw the 720 watt one and
it's made in the UK of all places!..

where from & how much plse?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Jim K scribeth thus
On Jan 13, 4:53 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tony Bryer
scribeth thus

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:38:11 -0800 (PST) Sm_jamieson wrote :
No, it seems like the price of "pro" makes like Makita / Ryobi etc.
has come down in the last few years.

A number of people on our renovate forum have expressed the view that
Makita quality is not what it was

http://www.renovateforum.com/f216/ma...roblem-107806/

Seems by the look of it there're making some stuff now in China ...

However I've just bought a Makita 4350CT jigsaw the 720 watt one and
it's made in the UK of all places!..

where from & how much plse?

Jim K

http://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/

Excellent prices and service!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 19:51, GMM wrote:
My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks
like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a
ton ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-...00-240v/87453),
then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bpr...ill-230v/92967 ).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with
my hard-earned?

Cheers

I don't reckon you would go far wrong with that Bosch. Dunno about
Sparky, Drivel thinks they are great, which puts me off.

ITS London have some good deals on (prices are + VAT)
http://www.its.co.uk/Power-Tools/Drills-SDS-.htm

The Hitachi's are cheap, if they are as good as my 18v Hitachi SDS I'd
be well pleased.

Just to follow up: I grabbed the Bosch from Screwfix on Sunday as I had
to get on with things. At first go, it seems pretty good, with plenty
of punch for a lightweight SDS and looks quite solidly built.

A couple of trivial niggles were that one of the clips on the case lost
a bit of plastic catch when I first opened it (that might have been
because of the way it was closed previously - Screwfix always open the
to check the content) but it still seems to close OK. Also, I can't see
any indication of the 3-year Bosch warranty that Sfx claim in their
advertising. Will ask them when I'm next there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 21:10, GMM wrote:
3-year Bosch warranty

Have a look he

http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb.../warranty.html

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 21:13, polygonum wrote:
On 15/01/2013 21:10, GMM wrote:
3-year Bosch warranty

Have a look he

http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb.../warranty.html

"Registration within 4 weeks of purchase. The term of the warranty or
service begins on the date of purchase. More information can be found in
the relevant warranty conditions or terms and conditions of participation."

So I strongly suggest you do NOT leave it until next time you happen to
be in SF.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 21:10, GMM wrote:
3-year Bosch warranty

Have a look he

http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb.../warranty.html

"Registration within 4 weeks of purchase. The term of the warranty or
service begins on the date of purchase. More information can be found in
the relevant warranty conditions or terms and conditions of participation."

So I strongly suggest you do NOT leave it until next time you happen to
be in SF.

Thanks for that. Though I'm sure I shall be there very soon, now I know
what to do and will deal with it tonight. A pity it's not mentioned
anywhere with the drill, though I probably should have thought to look
it up myself...

Sds drills at B&Q Peter smith UK diy 14 September 17th 09 03:19 PM
SDS drills: 2kg or 6kg? Stephen[_2_] UK diy 9 June 16th 08 12:49 PM
SDS drills PJK UK diy 42 July 11th 05 02:20 PM
Oil Rig Drills [email protected] Metalworking 29 June 1st 05 07:10 AM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM