Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rewiring a vintage (?) lamp

A relative gave me a flaky table lamp to look at. It turns out that
it had a blown lamp & a loose connection in the lampholder. It also
had a semi-antique MK plug & zipcord (single-insulated 2-core flex),
which I said needed replacement.

http://www.ducksburg.com/diy/lamp-old-cable.jpg

The whole thing consists of alternating pieces of glass & plastic,
topped with a switched BC lampholder, all held together with a steel
tube threaded at both ends, with a nut on the bottom (inside the base)
& a knurled nut on top with an external thread that the lampholder
screws onto.

http://www.ducksburg.com/diy/lamp-bottom.jpg

http://www.ducksburg.com/diy/lamp-side.jpg

http://www.ducksburg.com/diy/lamp-top.jpg

In one of my boxes of crap^W surplus parts I found a double-insulated,
two-core flex cable that would fit through the pipe, but I'm concerned
about the lack of earthing on the pipe, the possibility that the
pipe's edges might damage the cable (at either end). (When the whole
thing is assembled, the only exposed metal is the nut & the end of
pipe in the base.)

Suggestions? (I doubt this is a valuable antique, so "chuck it
because it can't be done right" is a possible answer.)

Thanks,
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:32:22 +0000, Adam Funk
wrote:

[...]

replace the plastic lampholder with a brass one, which will have an
earth terminal, and use 3 core flex

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Assuming the tube has enough clearance for that ccable. I am sure I've seen
similar lamps with some kind of gunge, maybe silicon in the bottom of that
tube so the two core cannot get near the edge of the tube, kind of like a
diy grommet!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 11, 2013 10:32:22 PM UTC, Adam Funk wrote:

[...]

If you're going to fit double insulated cable, the metal tube shouldn't need earthing, as long as the detailing's ok at the top it'll be class II. If the detailng's wrong, ie a stray flex end could touch the tube, the 2 flex ends can generally be tied together to solve the issue.

You may be able to get a small clamp inside the lampholder at the top, perhaps a cable tie if the flex is fitted in such a way that it doesn't rotate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-12, Brian Gaff wrote:

Assuming the tube has enough clearance for that ccable. I am sure I've seen
similar lamps with some kind of gunge, maybe silicon in the bottom of that
tube so the two core cannot get near the edge of the tube, kind of like a
diy grommet!

I don't think 3-core flex will fit through the tube or through the
notch in the side of the base (not clear in the photos) that lets the
base sit flat on a table if you pass the flex out the right way.

Rewiring an Anglepoise lamp PeterC UK diy 18 February 20th 10 05:22 PM
? on rewiring lamp. J.Lef Home Repair 18 January 22nd 08 03:09 AM
rewiring a UV strip lamp on garden pond filter taylerlee UK diy 3 May 15th 06 08:37 AM
Stereo indicator lamp, vintage receiver mc Electronics Repair 12 January 3rd 06 10:15 PM
AC polarity - Lamp rewiring Darro Home Repair 3 March 3rd 05 02:29 AM