Posted to uk.d-i-y
taylerlee

Default rewiring a UV strip lamp on garden pond filter

Can anyone help?. Went to do the pre summer check on my garden pond
filter and found that the water level in the container had gone above
the UV lamp and rest of the electrics. Everything bar the housing for
the strip lamp, a bit of wire and the terminals for the lamp ends
required replacing. Bought a new 17" 25w UV strip lamp, after a lot of

trouble eventually got a ballast correct for the lamp. Replaced the
starter housing and starter. Wired it up as I thought I had dismantled
the old one and you guessed it, it wont work.

I will now try to explain my wiring in the hope someone can spot my
mistake. I have a 240V supply with a 5amp fuse(new). I connected the
earth wire to the metal base plate to which I have also attached the
ballast and starter holder. The live is attached to left side of
ballast. There are two wires on each of the end terminals of the strip
light. For description purposes I will say wire 1 from the left side
terminal is connected to the left side of the ballast in the connector
just above the incoming live. Wire 2 from the left strip lamp terminal
is connected to the right side of the ballast. Wire 1 from the right
side strip light terminal is connected to the starter, wire 2 from that

side is connected to the incomming neutral.

My thoughts are that I should probably have a wire from the starter
going to both ends of the strip light not just one but I am at the
guessing stage.

I am now desperate as the water is going greener as the sun goes
brighter!

I have tried to obtain advice from another DIY group and got nothing
helpfull so I am hoping this group is up to the task!

thanks Taylerlee

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

taylerlee pretended :
The live is attached to left side of
ballast. There are two wires on each of the end terminals of the strip
light. For description purposes I will say wire 1 from the left side
terminal is connected to the left side of the ballast in the connector
just above the incoming live. Wire 2 from the left strip lamp terminal
is connected to the right side of the ballast. Wire 1 from the right
side strip light terminal is connected to the starter, wire 2 from that
side is connected to the incomming neutral.

By default there should be a diagram on the ballast.

The usual circuit is:-

1. Live to ballast.
2. Other connection on ballast to one connection, at one end of tube.
3. Neutral to a connection at opposite end of tube.
4. Starter should be connected between the two remaining wires, which
should be one from each end of the tube.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
taylerlee

Thanks Harry will have a look in the morning and let you know how I go
on.
regards Taylerlee

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
taylerlee pretended :
The live is attached to left side of
ballast. There are two wires on each of the end terminals of the strip
light. For description purposes I will say wire 1 from the left side
terminal is connected to the left side of the ballast in the connector
just above the incoming live. Wire 2 from the left strip lamp terminal
is connected to the right side of the ballast. Wire 1 from the right
side strip light terminal is connected to the starter, wire 2 from that
side is connected to the incomming neutral.

By default there should be a diagram on the ballast.

The usual circuit is:-

1. Live to ballast.
2. Other connection on ballast to one connection, at one end of tube.
3. Neutral to a connection at opposite end of tube.
4. Starter should be connected between the two remaining wires, which
should be one from each end of the tube.

There's a picture he
http://members.misty.com/don/f-lamp.html#wd0

Note that being a US site (120V mains), most of the diagrams
are not relevant to the UK, but that first one is correct.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green Naugahyde Home Repair 17 December 20th 17 07:34 PM
Usual water filter rootep Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 07:38 AM
Sears Refrigerator side by side - water filter - scam? harold balls Home Repair 25 September 18th 05 10:45 AM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP UK diy 4 August 28th 05 05:05 PM
OT Filter question Jim C Roberts Metalworking 10 June 29th 04 02:48 PM