Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine misbehaving

I have had a Bosch Logixx 1600rpm washing machine for the last 7.5
years. It has been used, on average, around 4-6 times a week during that
time, without any issues.

Over the last couple of months it started to make very loud noise when
spinning - the faster the spin, the louder the noise. Was thinking about
doing something about it, but haven't got around to it yet... We usually
ran it as we leave the house, or when going to bed, so haven't had a
chance to pay this too much attention.

This morning I notice that the sound has changed, and is now much
louder. It also seems, although I may be mistaken, that there is
something broken inside. I am no expert, but if I had to hazard a guess
then I would say that it sounds as if there are some (large?) fragments
of something spinning inside when on full speed??? Hope that makes sense.

Is it worth investigating or, considering the age of the machine, just
accept defeat and order a new one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe spake thus:

[...]

There could be something - coins, buttons or whatever - in between the
outer and inner drum.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2013 11:33, Scion wrote:
JoeJoe spake thus:

[...]

Doesn't sound like that - much more like something very large...

How easy is it to verify your suggestion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I think that I would either investigate thoroughly or stop using the
machine NOW, bearing in mind
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/drama_...eld_1_62 3907

There's just so much energy stored in a spinning washing machine .....

I suppose that it depends a bit where the machine is situated and what
would be damaged if the machine disintegrates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like the drum bearings have gone, try and check if there is any play
in the drum. They can be run in this condition for quite a while (if you can
put up with noise!) but will eventially throw off the belt and/or damage
water drain connections and leak. Drum bearings is a major job not worth
doing on cheap makes but maybe for Bosch.

Otherwise it could be your dampers are knackered and so its running out of
balance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-11, Mitch wrote:

Sounds like the drum bearings have gone, try and check if there is any play
in the drum. They can be run in this condition for quite a while (if you can
put up with noise!) but will eventially throw off the belt and/or damage
water drain connections and leak. Drum bearings is a major job not worth
doing on cheap makes but maybe for Bosch.

Otherwise it could be your dampers are knackered and so its running out of
balance.

In one of our previous machines (Bosch or Hotpoint, I can't remember
which one or exactly how long ago), one of the springs that hold the
drum in place broke: that made a bit of noise & you could tell from
looking inside that it was wonky. The replacement spring was a cheap
part but I could not manage to pull the drum up high enough to hook
the new one in place (I tried various combinations of ropes, wedges,
levers, & even a car jack), so I ended up paying the local shop to
send someone round to install it too. I wasn't there when they did,
but I'm told it took two reasonably tough-looking guys a bit of effort
to hook it in place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:58:37 +0000, GB wrote:

I think that I would either investigate thoroughly or stop using the
machine NOW, bearing in mind
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/

drama_as_washing_machine_explodes_in_hatfield_1_62 3907

I wonder how many people have actually heard a bomb going off in order to
be able to make a comparison like that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

I probably wouldn't want to stand right next to one when it self
destructs, but that report was bordering on the hysterical - thought it
was a spoof publication at first!

Got to wonder what broke though, there are plenty of Youtube videos
showing rocks etc thrown into a spinning machine and none of them appear
to have been come apart to to that extent...

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/01/2013 14:48, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:58:37 +0000, GB wrote:

I think that I would either investigate thoroughly or stop using the
machine NOW, bearing in mind
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/

drama_as_washing_machine_explodes_in_hatfield_1_62 3907

I wonder how many people have actually heard a bomb going off in order to
be able to make a comparison like that?

Heard, or heard and survived, or heard and survived with hearing
sufficiently intact to be able to tell whether the next bang is comparable?

Yes, these newspaper articles always exaggerate, but I have seen
pictures of broken worktops, and the article above shows tiles smashed
off the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/01/2013 15:03, Lee wrote:
I probably wouldn't want to stand right next to one when it self
destructs, but that report was bordering on the hysterical - thought it
was a spoof publication at first!

Got to wonder what broke though, there are plenty of Youtube videos
showing rocks etc thrown into a spinning machine and none of them appear
to have been come apart to to that extent...

Some Indesits (I think) had the concrete ballast come loose, and they
caused reasonably extensive damage when they failed. There must be an
awful lots of kinetic energy in a drum full of washing rotating at
1400-1600 RPM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:48:05 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:58:37 +0000, GB wrote:

I think that I would either investigate thoroughly or stop using the
machine NOW, bearing in mind http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/

drama_as_washing_machine_explodes_in_hatfield_1_62 3907

I wonder how many people have actually heard a bomb going off in order
to be able to make a comparison like that?

We hear quite a few in Herne Bay - but not so many lately, thinking of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jan, 13:42, Adam Funk wrote:
On 2013-01-11, Mitch wrote:
[...]

I had the same problem with a Hotpoint. Had to call a guy in. He had a
long thin leather string that he put through the eyelet on the drum
together with the bottom of the spring and then just lifted it up and
hooked the spring in the top of the casing. Took him all of 5 mins.

Merry Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:20:23 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

How easy is it to verify your suggestion?

Easy: take flashlight, stick head in drum, shine through holes and look for
bits...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 10:30*am, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

First thing to checki s that a nail or bit of wire is not stuck in one
of the holes in the inner drum. Just open the door and run your
fingers around the inside, not missing anywhere.

On two occasions now I have found a nail out of my pocket stuck
through one of these holes.

Also make sure there is no tub bearing ply by trying to wiggle the
inner drum up and down.
Changing a bearing is no big deal, you can DIY easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-11, Mitch wrote:
Sounds like the drum bearings have gone, try and check if there is any play
in the drum. They can be run in this condition for quite a while (if you can
put up with noise!) but will eventially throw off the belt and/or damage
water drain connections and leak. Drum bearings is a major job not worth
doing on cheap makes but maybe for Bosch.

Otherwise it could be your dampers are knackered and so its running out of
balance.

In one of our previous machines (Bosch or Hotpoint, I can't remember
which one or exactly how long ago), one of the springs that hold the
drum in place broke: that made a bit of noise & you could tell from
looking inside that it was wonky. Â*The replacement spring was a cheap
part but I could not manage to pull the drum up high enough to hook
the new one in place (I tried various combinations of ropes, wedges,
levers, & even a car jack), so I ended up paying the local shop to
send someone round to install it too. Â*I wasn't there when they did,
but I'm told it took two reasonably tough-looking guys a bit of effort
to hook it in place.

I had the same problem with a Hotpoint. Had to call a guy in. He had a
long thin leather string that he put through the eyelet on the drum
together with the bottom of the spring and then just lifted it up and
hooked the spring in the top of the casing. Took him all of 5 mins.

Hmm, it was probably the (older) Hotpoint. I'm pretty sure I tried
something like that! Oh well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2013 20:04, harry wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that.
Had a look inside - nothing visible/obvious.
Tried to rotate the drum manually - makes a real unhappy noise... Sounds
a bit like a combination of a bent (does it have one?) slipping +
something grinding against me inside.

Does it make sense?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-11, JoeJoe wrote:

On 11/01/2013 20:04, harry wrote:

First thing to checki s that a nail or bit of wire is not stuck in one
of the holes in the inner drum. Just open the door and run your
fingers around the inside, not missing anywhere.

On two occasions now I have found a nail out of my pocket stuck
through one of these holes.

Also make sure there is no tub bearing ply by trying to wiggle the
inner drum up and down.
Changing a bearing is no big deal, you can DIY easily.

Thanks for that.
Had a look inside - nothing visible/obvious.
Tried to rotate the drum manually - makes a real unhappy noise... Sounds
a bit like a combination of a bent (does it have one?) slipping +
something grinding against me inside.

Does it make sense?

There might be a foreign object between the inner & outer drums. ISTR
once getting one out by disconnecting the drain-out from the outer
drum & feeling in the hole while turning the inner drum slowly until I
found the object.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2013 10:30, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

It can probably be fixed - and the bits are not that expensive if you do
it yourself, but it may not be economical if you have to pay someone to
do it.

You should STOP USING IT until you have determined the cause of the noise.

Open the door and rotate the drum by hand. What sort of noise does it
make? If there's a metal object from an item of clothing between the
inner and outer drum, you'll hear it sliding around - but it won't be
that loud. If it's a creaking noise or a constant growl, you need to
investigate further.

You should be able to remove a panel from the back of the machine,
revealing a large pulley with the drive belt round it. Get someone to
hold the pulley as tightly as possible (and/or fit the transit bolts to
prevent the outer drum from moving) and see whether you can rock the
inner drum relative to the outer drum. If you CAN, either the bearings
are VERY worn or the spider is broken. [The spider is a 3-legged affair
which connects the back of the inner drum to the rotation shaft]. In
either case, the machine will have to be dismantled in order to replace
the bearings and/or spider. There are lots of videos on you-tube showing
you how to do this.

If one or more legs of the spider IS broken, it's very dangerous -
because it's only a matter of time before the other legs break. If the
final one breaks when the drum full of washing is spinning at 1600 rpm,
you'll not want to be around!

My old Zanussi started getting very noisy when spinning. When I finally
investigated, I found that TWO of the three spider legs were cracked
right through. I dread to think what would have happened if the third
one had gone - and my machine only spun at 1000 RPM.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2013 22:19, Adam Funk wrote:
On 2013-01-11, JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Had another listen when spinning. I don't think there is a foreign
object there. It simply does not spin smoothly/quietly, and makes a sort
of a grinding noise, even when spun very slowly by hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-11, JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Sounds very much like the bearings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think that I would either investigate thoroughly or stop using the
machine NOW, bearing in mind
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/drama_...eld_1_62 3907

Christ, what a hysterical account.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JoeJoe
writes
On 2013-01-11, JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Have you had the back off and as previously suggested make a visual
inspection of suspension and any ballast?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11.01.2013 23:48, JoeJoe wrote:
Had another listen when spinning. I don't think there is a foreign
object there. It simply does not spin smoothly/quietly, and makes a sort
of a grinding noise, even when spun very slowly by hand.

If you try a Google search for "washing machine sound", you will be
surprised to see how much help is available for this.
By fine-tuning you search, you may find a video that solves exactly your
problem.

My machine just stopped. I opened it and found that one of the
dampers was loose. I managed to fasten it, and after that the machine
was OK. Modern washing machine has a small brain, but do not have
communication skills to tell you exactly where it hurts.
--
jo
"We should never so entirely avoid danger as to appear

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2013 09:20, Jo Stein wrote:
On 11.01.2013 23:48, JoeJoe wrote:
Had another listen when spinning. I don't think there is a foreign
object there. It simply does not spin smoothly/quietly, and makes a sort
of a grinding noise, even when spun very slowly by hand.

If you try a Google search for "washing machine sound", you will be
surprised to see how much help is available for this.
By fine-tuning you search, you may find a video that solves exactly your
problem.

My machine just stopped. I opened it and found that one of the
dampers was loose. I managed to fasten it, and after that the machine
was OK. Modern washing machine has a small brain, but do not have
communication skills to tell you exactly where it hurts.

Cheers for that.

Decided to run it again yesterday and have a listen. During fast spin
(1600rpm) it made a horrible grinding noise (could be heard very loudly
on other side of the house, some 15m away, with two closed doors along
the way). Stopped it, and there was a faint (burnt?) smell in the
utility room...

As the machine has done approx one washing/day over 7.5 years, we
decided that it was time for a new one.

Just ordered an 8kg Samsung one - was never aware that they were doing
them (or just badging someone else's), but the 5 year part+labour
warranty + reviews on Amazon were the clinchers.

Thanks again for all the useful advice - always happy to learn something
new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 11, 2013 3:14:44 PM UTC, GB wrote:

Some Indesits (I think) had the concrete ballast come loose, and they
caused reasonably extensive damage when they failed.

The concrete isn't rotating, so has zero kinetic energy. If anything, it'll act as containment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/01/2013 22:57, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Friday, January 11, 2013 3:14:44 PM UTC, GB wrote:

Some Indesits (I think) had the concrete ballast come loose, and they
caused reasonably extensive damage when they failed.

The concrete isn't rotating, so has zero kinetic energy. If anything, it'll act as containment.

They, in that sentence, refers to 'Indesits'.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
My old Service simply emitted a nasty electrical burning smell, a small phut
and blew the breaker.

Its ****ed

(motor or heating element)

--
geoff

oil/grease on washing from the washing machine Dave UK diy 7 January 10th 11 05:15 PM
washing machine [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 9th 07 06:24 PM
washing machine steve20 Home Repair 1 September 29th 06 04:05 PM
Which Washing Machine ?? Tim.. UK diy 42 August 25th 06 06:46 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM