Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default email ... mmmm

I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Posted to uk.d-i-y

London2013 wrote

I think it might be time soon to go ONLINE with emails

A lot have done that. I don’t myself for most stuff.

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

That was one of the reasons for moving to Win7, no regrets.

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Windows Live Mail 14.*, not the latest version, works
very much like OE and can import OE's emails.

Its much better than the versions after that because
does quote usenet, the later ones don’t.

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE or hotmail/yahoo
accounts

gmail can import that stuff.

mmm , how best to move forward ?

I'd go WLM 14.* and did.

gmail is a pretty decent online option and has
a very decent spam filtering system, but it perves
on the contents of your emails which aint to my
taste for the email that matters.

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 01:58, London2013 wrote:
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

WLM will pickup your mail accounts as will thunderbird.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

London2013 wrote:
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Either go for Outlook and use an IMAP server, keeping your e-mails on a
remote server, use Outlook and a POP server, keeping your e-mails on
your local machine. Or switch to Thunderbird. and use a POP server. You
can then use any OS you wish, as even TB on Linux can access TB
mailboxes generated by the Windows version. TB can also easily import
e-mails from Outlook and Outlook Express.

Switch to Firefox as your browser, it's more used nowadays than IE
anyway.and sites are now more likely to work correctly with FF than IE.
Forefox is also cross platform, and my copy automatically updates itself
every few days with no problems.

If you think 50K of e-mails is a problem, you'd panic looking at my 2.1
Gigabytes of stored e-mails....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know lots of us in the same boat. I understand that there is still life
left in xp yet though, I have tried live mail 2009 and Firefox for the web.
this seems to work fine, but the problem with live mail is that they have
dropped the identities so all emails sit in one tree and message rules then
need very careful setting up as its easy to move emails to a completely
different account unless you specify that it should only apply to one.
Messy. Thunderbird I find counter intuitive as well. If you don't mind
paying and a versio exists for newer versions of windows, the portable
progrm pimmy is quite nice but dont' think it does news.
As for the client in win 8 don't know enough about it.

Actually when you say IE 8 uis not supported, what you really mean is that
googles sites are trying to get folk to use Chrome so they can track them
eeven n more, by making ie 8 not work on ytheir pages. it siilly as its easy
enough to support it in myview.

Brian

Email:

"London2013" wrote in message
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
London2013 wrote:
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old browser

Firefox.

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Thunderbird.

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 10:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could I put a word in for Seamonkey, as it basically integrates Firefox with
Thunderbird and I've seen a portable version of it knocking around.

Brian

I have always wondered why anyone wants to mix-up mail/news and
browsing? Really don't understand why Thunderbird wants to open web
pages either - as far as I am concerned, two separate functions, two
separate apps, please.

Perhaps you do have a specific reason, Brian. Does it make life easier
for you?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/13 01:58, London2013 wrote:
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

NOOOO!

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Is that all? I've got 3.2GB of oldemails..

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

either Thunderbird or build your own home server and put IMAP onto it.

Just cant figure it out , so many options

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 09/01/2013 10:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could I put a word in for Seamonkey, as it basically integrates
Firefox with
Thunderbird and I've seen a portable version of it knocking around.

Brian

I have always wondered why anyone wants to mix-up mail/news and
browsing? Really don't understand why Thunderbird wants to open web
pages either - as far as I am concerned, two separate functions, two
separate apps, please.

My experience of Thunderbird is that it sends the URL to your default
browser to open when you click on the link in an e-mail or news message.

There are also portable versions of Thunderbird and Firefox available.

I've tried Seamonkey. When it refused to import my Firefox preferences
or read my Firefox profile, that was the end of that.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 12:02, John Williamson wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 09/01/2013 10:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could I put a word in for Seamonkey, as it basically integrates
Firefox with
Thunderbird and I've seen a portable version of it knocking around.

Brian

I have always wondered why anyone wants to mix-up mail/news and
browsing? Really don't understand why Thunderbird wants to open web
pages either - as far as I am concerned, two separate functions, two
separate apps, please.

My experience of Thunderbird is that it sends the URL to your default
browser to open when you click on the link in an e-mail or news message.

There are also portable versions of Thunderbird and Firefox available.

I've tried Seamonkey. When it refused to import my Firefox preferences
or read my Firefox profile, that was the end of that.

For some reason, some links open within Thunderbird, but some hop over
to Firefox. Maybe, if I could be bothered, I'd work out why. Not a
mega-problem, simply a bit odd IMHO.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 01:58, London2013 wrote:
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

FWIW I still use Thunderbird and the ISP's email. Wife has been using
gmail for a considerable time with no obvious problems. Bought a
chromebook to share a couple of weeks ago and now can hardly get my
hands on it.

Domestically, the only thing I find really useful about having a local
collection of emails is to search for stuff in my "online shopping"
folder in case I want to place a repeat order. I'm sure TB is safe for
years to come.

My "work" emails are away on secure servers, but at least I know where
they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 01:58, London2013 wrote:

I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

There are pros and cons - and personal perspectives will have as much
influence again.

Some folks rave about moving to cloud storage since it takes it "out of
their hands", and others are fearful of it for exactly the same reason.

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

IE8 is old, but there are plenty of better and current browsers you can
run so its not in itself an issue. XP however is becoming more of a
problem - so for most semi serious users its probably going to need to
go some time this year.

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Thunderbird will suck that lot up and hold it in a more accessible form.
Also if you create IMAP accounts for it to access as well, you can
simply drag and drop old email onto IMAP servers if you want.

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

gmail is also quite good at integrating with other mail platforms. It
can read external POP mail boxes for example, and also make its own mail
store accessible via POP/IMAP

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Where are your emails safest? Do you have a (working and tested) backup
regime for your systems?

Do you need concurrent access to emails from multiple platforms (phone,
desktop, laptop etc?)

How good is your broadband?

What volume of mail do you handle a day?

All these will influence your choice...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 10:55, polygonum wrote:
On 09/01/2013 10:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could I put a word in for Seamonkey, as it basically integrates
Firefox with
Thunderbird and I've seen a portable version of it knocking around.

Brian

I have always wondered why anyone wants to mix-up mail/news and
browsing?

Its possibly partly historical. Users who came from Netscape and later
the Mozilla integrated comms suites may be more comfortable that way. On
the less powerful machines of the time, having one less significant
program open and running all the time just for email made some sense.
Also the ability to be reading an email and immediately pop open a full
browser window was particularly quick and easy.

Really don't understand why Thunderbird wants to open web
pages either - as far as I am concerned, two separate functions, two
separate apps, please.

TB ought not open a web page unless you click on a web link in an email.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 14:07, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Yes - a link in an email is what I meant. But why sometimes within T/B,
and sometimes not? As I say, if I cared that much I'd work out why.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 1:46*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I took it to mean clasic start, as stated:

http://www.classicstart8.com/

Not exactly hard to find via Google.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 8:00*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
On 09/01/2013 13:46, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

ITYAC.

So you recomended one thing http://www.classicstart8.com/ but actualy
meant something completely different.

Typical Dennis.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 9:43*am, John Williamson
wrote:
London2013 wrote:
I think it might be time soon
to go ONLINE with emails

XP nearing end of life with no more updates\and
no more updates for IE8 , so sites alrady arguing
its an old broweser

Thing is , 5 email accounts ,OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and ten years circa 50k worth of emails

Some email adresses are personal domians , not LIVE
or hotmail/yahoo accounts

mmm , how best to move forward ?

Just cant figure it out , so many options

Either go for Outlook and use an IMAP server, keeping your e-mails on a
remote server, use Outlook and a POP server, keeping your e-mails on
your local machine. Or switch to Thunderbird. and use a POP server.

I use Thunderturd and IMAP, inbox on the server and move the files I
want to keep to local folders.

You
can then use any OS you wish, as even TB on Linux can access TB
mailboxes generated by the Windows version. TB can also easily import
e-mails from Outlook and Outlook Express.

Be aware that ThunderTurd will only import from Outlook if Outlook is
running on the machine. It cannot import directly from .pst. So make
sure you do it before losing Outlook.

Switch to Firefox as your browser, it's more used nowadays than *IE
anyway.and sites are now more likely to work correctly with FF than IE.
Forefox is also cross platform, and my copy automatically updates itself
every few days with no problems.

If you think 50K of e-mails is a problem, you'd panic looking at my 2.1
Gigabytes of stored e-mails....

I can beat that at work, but only until the new mandatory 3 year
retention policy kicks in.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

London2013 wrote:

[...]

My gmail is
37% full
Using 3.8 GB of 10.1 GB
6002 emails, oldset post is from 2004

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2013 12:51, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 9, 1:46 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I took it to mean clasic start, as stated:

http://www.classicstart8.com/

Not exactly hard to find via Google.

Could be - there are others as well.

http://www.classicstartmenu.com/index.html
http://www.startmenux.com/index.html
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Perhaps Win 8 SP1 will add it back as an option!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2013 12:52, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 9, 8:00 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
On 09/01/2013 13:46, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

ITYAC.

So you recomended one thing http://www.classicstart8.com/ but actualy
meant something completely different.

Typical Dennis.

MBQ

Well anyone can make an error.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes
wrote:
On 09/01/2013 13:46, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

ITYAC.

So you recomended one thing http://www.classicstart8.com/ but actualy
meant something completely different.

Typical Dennis.

MBQ

Well anyone can make an error.

Where's the nurburgring, dennis ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 5:31*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/01/2013 12:51, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 9, 1:46 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I took it to mean clasic start, as stated:

http://www.classicstart8.com/

Not exactly hard to find via Google.

Could be - there are others as well.

http://www.classicstartmenu.com/inde...oducts/start8/

Perhaps Win 8 SP1 will add it back as an option!

It's not as if you really need it, anyway. It was the slickest Windows
install I've ever done and I'm getting used to the new interface quite
quickly.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2013 07:49, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:31 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/01/2013 12:51, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 9, 1:46 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2013 07:48, dennis@home wrote:

Win 8 is only £25 as a download from M$ until the end of Jan.

Price is rumoured to triple or quintuple after then end of Jan BTW!

It can be made to look like XP/7 using "classic start".

ITYM Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I took it to mean clasic start, as stated:

http://www.classicstart8.com/

Not exactly hard to find via Google.

Could be - there are others as well.

http://www.classicstartmenu.com/inde...oducts/start8/

Perhaps Win 8 SP1 will add it back as an option!

It's not as if you really need it, anyway. It was the slickest Windows
install I've ever done and I'm getting used to the new interface quite
quickly.

Yup true of most things...

The contrast between the classic and the new desktops does seem rather
jarring though. I need to try it on a multi monitor setup really.

--
Cheers,

John.

Can you believe this email geoff UK diy 49 December 11th 10 11:54 PM
Way OT - I got email from the FBI! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 May 26th 10 11:35 PM
Email [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 12th 08 12:02 AM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK diy 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
Lost my all my email and change of email addy Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 August 14th 03 11:30 PM