Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealed lead-acid battery charging - LT3652 alternatives

I need to build a charger for a small sealed lead-acid battery (12V,
2.3Ah, C/20) and was tempted to use the LT3652 until I realised it isn't
available in a pin'ed DIL package. Is there anything with similar
function that a hobbyist can deal with?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:23:18 +0000, unknown wrote:

I need to build a charger for a small sealed lead-acid battery (12V,
2.3Ah, C/20) and was tempted to use the LT3652 until I realised it
isn't available in a pin'ed DIL package.

You can get small boards for surface mounting ordinary SM stuff on that
bring the connections out to wire holes or onto pins. I don't know if
such things are available for that type of package(*1). The soldering
isn't difficult, clean and flux with a paste flux(*2), fix the chip in
place with tape or a blob of glue, have a little bit of solder on your
hot iron and quickly run it along the exposed conections. There are
YouTube videos showing this technique.

(*1) Looks like they probably are, is there something suitable here
(there seems to be an awful lot of variants):

http://www.proto-advantage.com/store...Path=2200_2202

(*2) I used a non-acid plumbers flux as that is what I had. Washed the
board well afterwards to remove an residue.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:08:48 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

If you cant wait for another order, its possible to just solder strands of wire to each pin on an SMD, and when soldering to a board leave the leads long enough that the joints don't remelt.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 19:57, wrote:
[...]

Thanks all, but from a quick look at the datasheet I think the UC3906
will do what I want and is available in DIL16.