Jim

Default Tiles on plasterboard

I have a new kitchen to install an, obviously, wife doesn't like the tiles
the previous owner had. I removed 1with a thin blade scraper and found that
the removal caused serious damage to the plasterboard. Anyone know of a
better way to do this ?

Benjamin Aldred

"Jim" (remove $ ) wrote in message
I have a new kitchen to install an, obviously, wife doesn't like the tiles
the previous owner had. I removed 1with a thin blade scraper and found

that
the removal caused serious damage to the plasterboard. Anyone know of a
better way to do this ?

Score them all with a good hand held tile cutter then tap them with a hammer
to get them to break in bits. They should peel off a lot easier that way.
Or tile straight on top of them after you've cleaned all the grease off and
scratched the surfaces to key the new adhesive in.

andrewpreece

"Benjamin Aldred" wrote in message

"Jim" (remove $ ) wrote in message
I have a new kitchen to install an, obviously, wife doesn't like the

tiles
the previous owner had. I removed 1with a thin blade scraper and found

that
the removal caused serious damage to the plasterboard. Anyone know of a
better way to do this ?

Score them all with a good hand held tile cutter then tap them with a

hammer
to get them to break in bits. They should peel off a lot easier that way.
Or tile straight on top of them after you've cleaned all the grease off

and
scratched the surfaces to key the new adhesive in.

I've tried banging thin scraper blades down behind them, and cracking them
in situ then removing the bits. Severe plasterboard damage was always the
result. Sorry!

Andy

Angela

"Jim" (remove $ ) wrote in message
I have a new kitchen to install an, obviously, wife doesn't like

the tiles
the previous owner had. I removed 1with a thin blade scraper and

found
that
the removal caused serious damage to the plasterboard. Anyone

know of a
better way to do this ?

Score them all with a good hand held tile cutter then tap them with

a hammer
to get them to break in bits. They should peel off a lot easier

that way.
Or tile straight on top of them after you've cleaned all the grease

off and
scratched the surfaces to key the new adhesive in.

When I had my kitchen retiled the tiler said that getting tiles of
plasterboard is impossible without a lot of damage, he just tiled
over the old ones and you would never know.

Angela

BillR

"Jim" (remove $ ) wrote in message
I have a new kitchen to install an, obviously, wife doesn't like
the tiles the previous owner had. I removed 1with a thin blade
scraper and found that the removal caused serious damage to the
plasterboard. Anyone know of a better way to do this ?

Score them all with a good hand held tile cutter then tap them with
a hammer to get them to break in bits. They should peel off a lot
easier that way. Or tile straight on top of them after you've
cleaned all the grease off and scratched the surfaces to key the new
adhesive in.

When I had my kitchen retiled the tiler said that getting tiles of
plasterboard is impossible without a lot of damage, he just tiled
over the old ones and you would never know.

Angela

This is often the case and depends a lot on the orig adhesive used.
Luckily it often is rubbish "fix & grout" if done by an amateur, so isn't
too bad.
I've had very good results with SDS drill with tile-removing bit.
You wouldn't believe how fast it is and often the tiles come off whole...
I just did a bathroom where the tiles were put on properly and it had no
trouble there either.
You tend to get more adhesive left on the wall with this method which
requires separate scraping but at least the wall isn't damaged.

The Natural Philosopher

Jim wrote:

I have a new kitchen to install an, obviously, wife doesn't like the tiles
the previous owner had. I removed 1with a thin blade scraper and found that
the removal caused serious damage to the plasterboard. Anyone know of a
better way to do this ?

Not really. Skim the board and re-tile.
Doesn't have to be that good.

Plasterboard Over Tiles Nibs UK diy 7 November 10th 03 09:23 PM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM
Small ensuite shower room - mosaic tiles pros & cons SC UK diy 6 August 21st 03 11:45 AM
When laying floor tiles, what size will give the best illusion of space? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 August 13th 03 12:05 AM
removing tiles from plasterboard fireblade UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:09 AM