Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Twitter rules

https://support.twitter.com/articles...-twitter-rules

Copyright: We will respond to clear and complete notices of alleged
copyright infringement. Our copyright procedures are set forth in the
Terms of Service.

Spam: You may not use the Twitter service for the purpose of spamming
anyone. What constitutes “spamming” will evolve as we respond to new
tricks and tactics by spammers. Some of the factors that we take into
account when determining what conduct is considered to be spamming
If you have followed a large amount of users in a short amount of
time;
If you have followed and unfollowed people in a short time period,
particularly by automated means (aggressive follower churn);
If you repeatedly follow and unfollow people, whether to build
followers or to garner more attention for your profile;
If you have a small number of followers compared to the amount of
people you are following;
If your updates consist mainly of links, and not personal updates;
If you post misleading links;
If a large number of people are blocking you;
The number of spam complaints that have been filed against you;
If you post duplicate content over multiple accounts or multiple
duplicate updates on one account;

Worth a look if people object to it and then they can report
https://support.twitter.com/groups/3...pam-on-twitter

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 02/01/2013 10:42, mogga wrote:
https://support.twitter.com/articles...-twitter-rules

Copyright: We will respond to clear and complete notices of alleged
copyright infringement. Our copyright procedures are set forth in the
Terms of Service.

If your updates consist mainly of links, and not personal updates;

Make you wonder what would happen if we all altered our salutation lines
such that instead of starting off with the traditional "On date and
time person wrote:" with say:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Twitter
On date and time person wrote:

the ****ter space would rapidly fill with nothing but links ;-)

However, that did get me thinking.... (its ok I was sitting down)

Is there any value to us in creating our own ukdiy twitter feed? We have
loads of decent articles that we could post links to.

It would probably boost traffic to our FAQ and WIKI sites - which may
encourage more people to contribute content.

Yes - I think it would be valuable. I modiled my sig for this group alone
(yes, I know it's lots of lines, but I'll stand by that)

****ter is used for serious purposes[1] - I feed my systems announcements
from a blog to both RSS and ****ter. It gives people a choice and once set
up it is near zero maintenance.

[1] Southeastern Trains users rely on it as other source of info are
rubbish. Southeastern themselves will not lower themselves to using it but
National Rail do feed out localised tweets regarding network problems.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 15:18, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

But "inaneness" is a valid word!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

No, in all my applications.

Not in Turnpike either:-)

*perceieved* looks a bit odd as well. Perhaps it is to catch both
options?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it out
;-

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it out
;-

I hate Twitter, but daily more and more companies are using Twitter
instead of emails, my bank The Halifax being one.

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it out
;-

Oi! I am being a *spelling nazi* - not a grammar nazi. :-)

Your mistake, as I see it, was the extra "n" in the word as you typed
it. Take that out and it is a word.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it
out ;-

Oi! I am being a *spelling nazi* - not a grammar nazi. :-)

Now you're just being a lexicology nazi ;-

Your mistake, as I see it, was the extra "n" in the word as you typed
it. Take that out and it is a word.

I have, just for you And I turned the spell checker on too.

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 15:10, Tim Watts wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

However, that did get me thinking.... (its ok I was sitting down)

Is there any value to us in creating our own ukdiy twitter feed? We have
loads of decent articles that we could post links to.

It would probably boost traffic to our FAQ and WIKI sites - which may
encourage more people to contribute content.

Yes - I think it would be valuable. I modiled my sig for this group alone
(yes, I know it's lots of lines, but I'll stand by that)

So the second question would then be, say we do drive extra traffic,
should we seek to monetise it ourselves? (product deal links to
suppliers etc). And if we do, what should we do with the money?

(Monthly competition - win a new tool etc? - some of the other DIY sites
do similar)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Yes - I think it would be valuable. I modiled my sig for this group alone
(yes, I know it's lots of lines, but I'll stand by that)

Is your sig block copyrighted, or can we use the gist of it (without
your personal stuff) ?.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:18:23 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Tim, keep 'inaneness', just spell it correctly. Likewise 'perceived',
i before e except after c.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 18:50, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

A lot of medical words have changed spelling over the past years. For
example, sulfate is now accepted! Some of the DYS- words are now
sometimes/often/always DIS- words.

Mind, far, far more occurrences of dyslexia than dislexia.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it
out ;-

Oi! I am being a *spelling nazi* - not a grammar nazi. :-)

Now you're just being a lexicology nazi ;-

Your mistake, as I see it, was the extra "n" in the word as you typed
it. Take that out and it is a word.

I have, just for you And I turned the spell checker on too.

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

Can you do "perceieved" now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 19:38, Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:18:23 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Tim, keep 'inaneness', just spell it correctly. Likewise 'perceived',
i before e except after c.

Did you see QI?

That rule (so they claimed) is literally more honoured in the breach
than the observance. So no longer taught in schools. (Mind a lot of the
words had *CIE but not as a simple "see" sound within a word such as I
have always taken as implicit to the rule - things like specie, lacie, etc.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

My purpose in life is to give all people with an eye for good ENglish, eye-
ache.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Yes - I think it would be valuable. I modiled my sig for this group alone
(yes, I know it's lots of lines, but I'll stand by that)

Is your sig block copyrighted, or can we use the gist of it (without
your personal stuff) ?.

Adrian

Help yourselves

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

time person wrote:" with say:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Twitter
On date and time person wrote:

the ****ter space would rapidly fill with nothing but links ;-)

However, that did get me thinking.... (its ok I was sitting down)

Is there any value to us in creating our own ukdiy twitter feed? We have
loads of decent articles that we could post links to.

It would probably boost traffic to our FAQ and WIKI sites - which may
encourage more people to contribute content.

But who would actually 'follow' such a feed?

I'm inclined to think the biggest effect could be attracting spammers to
the newsgroup...

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it
out
;-

I hate Twitter, but daily more and more companies are using Twitter
instead of emails, my bank The Halifax being one.

To do what, exactly?

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

time person wrote:" with say:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Twitter
On date and time person wrote:

the ****ter space would rapidly fill with nothing but links ;-)

However, that did get me thinking.... (its ok I was sitting down)

Is there any value to us in creating our own ukdiy twitter feed? We have
loads of decent articles that we could post links to.

It would probably boost traffic to our FAQ and WIKI sites - which may
encourage more people to contribute content.

But who would actually 'follow' such a feed?

twits, mainly.

I'm inclined to think the biggest effect could be attracting spammers to
the newsgroup...

no. just twits. Harry was getting lonely..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).
To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

snip

I am reading this in Free Agent 1.0, and there's no fancy
right-clicking dictionary facility here.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Yes - I think it would be valuable. I modiled my sig for this group alone
(yes, I know it's lots of lines, but I'll stand by that)

Is your sig block copyrighted, or can we use the gist of it (without
your personal stuff) ?.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Oh no, not another one! Too many posters think they can change the
world by appending their posts with unfunny sayings or long
declarations. It's difficult to pick out actual posts amongst all the
repeated full quotes and irrelevant guff.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/13 19:38, Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:18:23 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Tim, keep 'inaneness', just spell it correctly. Likewise 'perceived',
i before e except after c.

except when it doesn't sound like the sea.

rein
reign
weird
seine
neigh
deity
deism
theism
seize
...etc etc..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/13 19:42, Bill Taylor wrote:

Can you do "perceieved" now

better than you can anyway

PERCEIVED

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/13 19:55, Tim Watts wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

My purpose in life is to give all people with an eye for good ENglish, eye-
ache.

After I-pod, came I phone, and, finally I-ache.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave W
writes
Oh no, not another one! Too many posters think they can change the
world by appending their posts with unfunny sayings or long
declarations. It's difficult to pick out actual posts amongst all the
repeated full quotes and irrelevant guff.

If people used :

a. a proper sig separator (dash dash space) (yours is just dash dash)
b. decent software

then the sig block would only be seen in the original posting.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 22:06, Adrian wrote:
In message , Dave W
writes
Oh no, not another one! Too many posters think they can change the
world by appending their posts with unfunny sayings or long
declarations. It's difficult to pick out actual posts amongst all the
repeated full quotes and irrelevant guff.

If people used :

a. a proper sig separator (dash dash space) (yours is just dash dash)
b. decent software

then the sig block would only be seen in the original posting.

Indeed. TB renders anything below a sig separator in a mid grey so its
less "visible" when reading, and trims it completely when replying.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so
that's probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

My purpose in life is to give all people with an eye for good
ENglish, eye- ache.

After I-pod, came I phone, and, finally I-ache.

*tsk*. iPod, iPhone and, presumably iAche (if you're going to be
consistent). ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Tim+ wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so that's
probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

My purpose in life is to give all people with an eye for good ENglish, eye-
ache.

Does that include Bob ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 02/01/13 19:42, Bill Taylor wrote:

Can you do "perceieved" now

better than you can anyway

PERCEIVED

"I" before "e" except after "c" unless you have too many "e"s to spare

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 00:19:34 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Tim+ wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so
that's probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

My purpose in life is to give all people with an eye for good ENglish,
eye-
ache.

Does that include Bob ?

Only me. Everyone else gets eyes ache.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

I do suffer from "typing dislexia" (right letters, wrong order) so
that's probably a good thing...

Hmm... I'm having trouble rearranging "dislexia" into "dyslexia" (or
perhaps you're toying with us). ;-)

Tim

My purpose in life is to give all people with an eye for good ENglish,
eye-
ache.

Does that include Bob ?

Only me. Everyone else gets eyes ache.

I blame Dennis (a nickname), my physics teacher. I was good at English
before that. Bloody good physics teacher though...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2013 00:21, geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 02/01/13 19:42, Bill Taylor wrote:

Can you do "perceieved" now

better than you can anyway

PERCEIVED

"I" before "e" except after "c" unless you have too many "e"s to spare

Good Scrabble approach.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

time person wrote:" with say:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Twitter
On date and time person wrote:

the ****ter space would rapidly fill with nothing but links ;-)

However, that did get me thinking.... (its ok I was sitting down)

Is there any value to us in creating our own ukdiy twitter feed? We have
loads of decent articles that we could post links to.

It would probably boost traffic to our FAQ and WIKI sites - which may
encourage more people to contribute content.

But who would actually 'follow' such a feed?

twits, mainly.

****s, surely
(c) David Cameron, 2012

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:03:27 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/01/13 19:42, Bill Taylor wrote:

Can you do "perceieved" now

better than you can anyway

PERCEIVED

Missed the quotes then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it
out

Eff all to do with grammar. Not everyone is using a Macintosh. What he
proposes only works on a Mac.

Install WordWeb and a Ctrl+Right click will.
http://wordweb.info/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or
innaneness.

Change "innaneness" (which is not a word) to "inanity" (which is).

To see this, double-click on the word in question to highlight it,
right-mouse on the word, and select "Look up in dictionary".

Only in your newsreader.

I don't care - I 'll get the popcorn while you grammar nazis battle it
out

Eff all to do with grammar. Not everyone is using a Macintosh. What he
proposes only works on a Mac.

Install WordWeb and a Ctrl+Right click will. http://wordweb.info/

You're assuming that anyone not using a Mac is using Windows.