Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grab adhesives

Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY
emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had
been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble was
it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster ceiling and
access above would be tricky.
So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!
The replacement MK switch is a lot louder than the old one (also been
noted here), but feels tougher in its action and is good for 16A instead
of 6A according to the markings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2012 15:31, Part Timer wrote:
Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY
emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had
been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble was
it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster ceiling and
access above would be tricky.
So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!
The replacement MK switch is a lot louder than the old one (also been
noted here), but feels tougher in its action and is good for 16A instead
of 6A according to the markings.

Am I right? You stuck a pull switch up with Stixall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2012 15:31, Part Timer wrote:
Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY
emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had
been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble
was it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster
ceiling and access above would be tricky. So I returned to
Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives stocked, I
chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this group.
Certainly gets my vote! The replacement MK switch is a lot louder
than the old one (also been noted here), but feels tougher in its
action and is good for 16A instead of 6A according to the markings.

Something I will have to tackle soon - one of the two screws seems to be
failing to hold in its plasterboard plug. Can't remember what make our
switch is - not MK - and surprisingly much quieter than the one it
replaced. But your comment makes me wonder quite how much lighting you
have in there! I can't imagine needing more than 1 amp.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Part Timer wrote:
Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY
emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had
been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble
was it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster
ceiling and access above would be tricky.
So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!
The replacement MK switch is a lot louder than the old one (also been
noted here), but feels tougher in its action and is good for 16A
instead of 6A according to the markings.

FFS just get some screws long enough to hit the floor above. That's the way
to bodge it:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part Timer wrote:

Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY
emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had
been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble was
it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster ceiling and
access above would be tricky.

?

Will the not ush out of the way to accept new fixings in the same holes?

So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!
The replacement MK switch is a lot louder than the old one (also been
noted here), but feels tougher in its action and is good for 16A instead
of 6A according to the markings.

Yep - modern switches (MK at least) can be very noisy.

BTW Pink Grip is good too, though it does not have so much "grab" it's
bloody strong when it sets.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 31/12/2012 15:31, Part Timer wrote:
Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY
emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had
been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble was
it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster ceiling and
access above would be tricky.
So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!
The replacement MK switch is a lot louder than the old one (also been
noted here), but feels tougher in its action and is good for 16A instead
of 6A according to the markings.

Am I right? You stuck a pull switch up with Stixall?

Double sided sticky tape was good enough for Lesley Judd...

Besides, in 20 years, someone will come along and ask how to remove it and
Frank can lead a full chorus of

Angle Grinder!

;-

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31, 4:14*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Part Timer wrote:
[...]

I have one of those halogen desk top lamps (they were flogging them in
the local Lidl a few weeks ago -around the time I broke mine. £5:00.)
So I tried something of that sort (no idea what brand name.)

Work perfectly. Only I wish I had put extra ballast in there with it
along with the ballast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:31:53 PM UTC, Part timer wrote:

So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!

I just tried the £1 poundland version. It does work, but the amount of grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec 2012, 20:42, wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:31:53 PM UTC, Part timer wrote:
So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!

I just tried the £1 poundland version. It does work, but the amount of grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

NT

er... MS polymer adhesive for a £1 ? how big a tube?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am I right? You stuck a pull switch up with Stixall?

Either that or dismantling the old one and soaking the bits in WD40 ;-)
It hasn't parted company with the ceiling yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2012 15:37, polygonum wrote:
[...]

16A is MK's claim. I have 112W connected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 12:44:12 PM UTC, Jim K wrote:
On 31 Dec 2012, 20:42, wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:31:53 PM UTC, Part timer wrote:

So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!

I just tried the £1 poundland version. It does work, but the amount of grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

er... MS polymer adhesive for a £1 ? how big a tube?

Standard 380ml cart. Grab adhesives are acrylic, so cheap as chips.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec 2012, 20:42, wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:31:53 PM UTC, Part timer wrote:
So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives
stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this
group. Certainly gets my vote!
I just tried the £1 poundland version. It does work, but the amount of grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

er... *MS polymer adhesive for a £1 ? how big a tube?

Standard 380ml cart. Grab adhesives are acrylic, so cheap as chips.

NT

ah but Stixall isn't acrylic or chip cheap, v good stuff tho, you
should try it

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2013 19:21, Part Timer wrote:

Am I right? You stuck a pull switch up with Stixall?

Either that or dismantling the old one and soaking the bits in WD40 ;-)
It hasn't parted company with the ceiling yet.

I'm impressed!

Adhesives Jim Hawkins UK diy 2 November 11th 12 11:19 AM
Grab Adhesives Slider UK diy 1 August 5th 08 01:46 PM
best adhesives Chris Miller Home Repair 4 March 25th 08 02:38 AM
adhesives FAQ Dave Fawthrop UK diy 7 August 19th 06 12:04 PM
Adhesives Cicero UK diy 0 July 17th 06 09:58 AM