Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DPF

Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/12 12:58, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.

Like domestic solar panels?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw

you can also put sawdust in agearbox to stop it making a noise when you
come to sell it.....

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31, 12:58*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:

Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...er_Removal_DPF...

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.

Who's advocating it?
There are a lot of problems with DPF. They have been put out without
proper testing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.

Why, a DPF dosent magically collect the particulates forever, it just holds
them untill you do a long enough journey, then the ecu 'regenerates' it,
Which is done by firing the injectors when the exhaust valve is open,
raising the EGT to burn the blocked filter free....

All it's doing is dumping the particulates in one go every so often,

Pain in the arse things DPF's, on my car i have one, the earleir model has
the exact same engine, just minus the DPF, as a result my car struggles to
do more than 75mpg (of an 85 claimed by the dealer, i usually see 68 -
73mpg..... 75mpg was attained on a long run in germany)
The earlier models did 85 - 95mpg no probs, and quite often would just nudge
the 100mpg barrier,

Then there's the 7 or 8 bhp lost due to the DPF,

And the most annoying thing i found, i can't run my car on bio-diesel, due
to the DPF regen cycle, as diesel gets into the oil due to bore wash, and
the bio-diesel can't evaporate out of the engine oil like dino-diesel does,

So i've been thinking of doing the DPF delete mod on my car, and running on
bio-diesel, which apparantly produces much less particulates anyway,
hopefully i'd get the extra mpg as well as costing a little less to re-fill
each time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gazz" wrote:
[...]

Putting your implausible mpg figures aside, pouring more fuel in via the
main injectors is "old school" and newer cars have a bespoke injector just
upstream of the DPF which removes the risk of engine oil contamination.

I don't know where you buy your non-biodiesel. By EU law, all diesel
contains 7% biodiesel and has done so for several years now I believe.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 16:37, Gazz wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.

Why, a DPF dosent magically collect the particulates forever, it just
holds them untill you do a long enough journey, then the ecu
'regenerates' it,
Which is done by firing the injectors when the exhaust valve is open,
raising the EGT to burn the blocked filter free....

All it's doing is dumping the particulates in one go every so often,

It doesn't dump them as particulates. It dumps them as CO2 and water.
Both of these are somewhat safer than the particulates which are linked
to asthma, etc.

Pain in the arse things DPF's, on my car i have one, the earleir model
has the exact same engine, just minus the DPF, as a result my car
struggles to do more than 75mpg (of an 85 claimed by the dealer, i
usually see 68 - 73mpg..... 75mpg was attained on a long run in germany)
The earlier models did 85 - 95mpg no probs, and quite often would just
nudge the 100mpg barrier,

Then there's the 7 or 8 bhp lost due to the DPF,

Thats probably where your problem is.
You don't know how to drive for maximum economy and trying to get the
same performance as you had is costing you fuel.

So you have a cr@p supply of bio diesel.

So i've been thinking of doing the DPF delete mod on my car, and running
on bio-diesel, which apparantly produces much less particulates anyway,
hopefully i'd get the extra mpg as well as costing a little less to
re-fill each time.

Don't forget that it should fail the MOT if you do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2012 17:03, harry wrote:
On Dec 31, 12:58 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:

Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...er_Removal_DPF...

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.

Who's advocating it?
There are a lot of problems with DPF. They have been put out without
proper testing.

Indeed and people find themselves with large bills when their work
pattern changes and they are only doing short journeys, so the filter
clogs and has to be replaced.

With some manufacturers, they also need (dealer only) work to refill an
additive bottle and reset the management unit at regular intervals.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pain in the arse things DPF's, on my car i have one, the earleir model
has the exact same engine, just minus the DPF, as a result my car
struggles to do more than 75mpg (of an 85 claimed by the dealer, i
usually see 68 - 73mpg..... 75mpg was attained on a long run in germany)
The earlier models did 85 - 95mpg no probs, and quite often would just
nudge the 100mpg barrier,

Putting your implausible mpg figures aside, pouring more fuel in via the
main injectors is "old school" and newer cars have a bespoke injector just
upstream of the DPF which removes the risk of engine oil contamination.

Why implausible??
i get between 68 and 73mpg... calculated on fuel to fill up and miles
covered since last fill, that's a mix of driving, some round town to the
shops, some 20 mile round trips at 30 to 50mph on the ring road, plus either
a 45 mile round trip down the M1, or a 80 mile round trip along the A52
twice a week,
but i do just tootle along at 70 on the motorways,
the engine is only 800cc's mind, and 3 cylinders, and the whole car weighs
780 kilo's empty, so i imagine that helps,

the dpf on this engine starts a couple of inches after the turbo, so maybe
not much room for an exhaust injector, but yes a dedicated dpf burn off
injector in the exhaust would be nice, instead merc decided to use the 'fire
the main injectors on the exhaust stroke' trick instead,

I don't know where you buy your non-biodiesel. By EU law, all diesel
contains 7% biodiesel and has done so for several years now I believe.

Meh, bit of a difference between 7% and 100% tho,
last month i filled up in France, Belgium and Germany, so i wonder if any of
those still sells the full sulphur diesel, couldent tell ant performance
difference, but then again for more than half the trip i had 150 kilo's of
train and bus parts in the boot and cycle rack mounted back box...

was going to take the trailer, but the euro drain wanted double the solo car
rate, which is the same rate for upto 6 meter long cars,
my car is 2.6 meters long, plus a 2 meter trailer inc drawbar, so both
together are still shorter than most cars,

Still, it was nice to be able to use the free short car parking spaces in
Germany, but now we're really off topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gazz" wrote:
[...]

Well, okay, maybe not completely implausible then, but have you calibrated
your odometer? Unless you've done that any claims regarding consumption
will be a bit suspect.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:

Pain in the arse things DPF's, on my car i have one,

the engine is only 800cc's mind, and 3 cylinders, and the whole car weighs
780 kilo's empty

Hardly seems a typical car that would be bought as a motorway cruiser,
so fitting a DPF does seem to be asking for trouble ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Gazz wrote:

Pain in the arse things DPF's, on my car i have one,

the engine is only 800cc's mind, and 3 cylinders, and the whole car
weighs 780 kilo's empty

Hardly seems a typical car that would be bought as a motorway cruiser,
so fitting a DPF does seem to be asking for trouble ...

Except that diesel particulates probably cause more health problems in
cities, where this car is most likely to be used.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 7:53*am, Tim+ wrote:
"Gazz" wrote:
[...]

A few percent out at most. Stop wriggling FFS.

MBQ