Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gazz Gazz is offline

Default DPF

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 31/12/2012 08:11, harry wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters.
If you have a diesel car might be of interest.
http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Dies...FW_KtAodxwEAJw

Only an arsehole would advocate something that is harmful to others.

Why, a DPF dosent magically collect the particulates forever, it just holds
them untill you do a long enough journey, then the ecu 'regenerates' it,
Which is done by firing the injectors when the exhaust valve is open,
raising the EGT to burn the blocked filter free....

All it's doing is dumping the particulates in one go every so often,

Pain in the arse things DPF's, on my car i have one, the earleir model has
the exact same engine, just minus the DPF, as a result my car struggles to
do more than 75mpg (of an 85 claimed by the dealer, i usually see 68 -
73mpg..... 75mpg was attained on a long run in germany)
The earlier models did 85 - 95mpg no probs, and quite often would just nudge
the 100mpg barrier,

Then there's the 7 or 8 bhp lost due to the DPF,

And the most annoying thing i found, i can't run my car on bio-diesel, due
to the DPF regen cycle, as diesel gets into the oil due to bore wash, and
the bio-diesel can't evaporate out of the engine oil like dino-diesel does,

So i've been thinking of doing the DPF delete mod on my car, and running on
bio-diesel, which apparantly produces much less particulates anyway,
hopefully i'd get the extra mpg as well as costing a little less to re-fill
each time.