Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default advice on draughtproofing skirtings?

I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year. One potential problem I see
is that is it not usual to `tuck` the carpet under the skirting board
when fitting, if this is the case then would I be causing a future
issue, or should I refrain from draught proofing and presume the carpet
will draughtproof for me?

Any thoughts on this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year. One potential problem I see
is that is it not usual to `tuck` the carpet under the skirting board
when fitting, if this is the case then would I be causing a future
issue, or should I refrain from draught proofing and presume the carpet
will draughtproof for me?

Any thoughts on this.

Don't see it being aproblem. Most fitted carpets will stop that type of
draught even just butting up - but running some sealant around or stuffing
some tissue in won;t do any harm that I can see.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most carpet fitters are not quite that accurate, they just bang down those
grippers and stretch it to be right up to the dge and then bash it down on
the grippers with that thingy I forgot the name of.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
ss wrote:

I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year. One potential problem I see
is that is it not usual to `tuck` the carpet under the skirting board
when fitting, if this is the case then would I be causing a future
issue, or should I refrain from draught proofing and presume the carpet
will draughtproof for me?

Any thoughts on this.

Don't see it being aproblem. Most fitted carpets will stop that type of
draught even just butting up - but running some sealant around or stuffing
some tissue in won;t do any harm that I can see.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year. One potential problem I see
is that is it not usual to `tuck` the carpet under the skirting board
when fitting, if this is the case then would I be causing a future
issue, or should I refrain from draught proofing and presume the carpet
will draughtproof for me?

Any thoughts on this.

When I moved in to my first home, the fitted carpets which were only
a few years old (although crap quality for the most part) were dark
around the edges where air passed through the gap and the carpet
filtered out the dust.

When I replaced the carpets, I first ripped out the originals, and
painted the skirting with gloss paint, and deliberately spilled the
gloss paint a couple if inches onto the floorboards. When the gloss
had fully dried (takes quite a while), I bought a wide roll of good
(expensive) sellotape, and taped along all the joins between the
skirting and the floorboards, and the tape stuck very well to the
new gloss paint. The tape comes up the skirtingboards by the
thickness of the carpet and underlay, so even though transparent,
it's not visible above the carpet. It goes along the floor enough
to be trapped under the grippers. This stops any air passing
through the carpet around the edges of the room, and 25 years
later, there is no dark staining around the edge of the room.
Even if the sellotape has come unstuck (which it almost certainly
has by now), there's still no air path through the carpet edge,
although the effectiveness of draughtproofing may reduce a little
bit.

Make sure you get a good thick tape, and you get it right into
the corner, so it's not broken by stretching the carpet onto
the grippers.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:44:31 +0000, ss wrote:

I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year.

I wouldn't put anything that will glue the skirting to the floor in the
gap. Tightly rolled newspaper or suitable bit of rolled packing foam.

As others have said the carpet will stop most of the draft but depending
on where that air is coming from you can end up eith dirty edges to the
carpet from the fine muck carried an trapped. Dark carpet not a problem
of course...

A fitted carpet is stretched onto the gripper spaced less than the
thickness of the carpet from the skirting then the edge trimmed and a
bolster used to push the carpet into the gap it's not really tucked under
the skirting more tightly butted against it.

http://www.hammondhill.co.uk/store/gripper_rods.jpg

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

[...]

I also had the dirty edge problem in my first house and resolved never
to have it happen again. I have used folded newspaper - made into a
narrow "V" shaped strip and pushed into the gap. I have also used
expanding foam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 28/12/2012 09:57, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Dave wrote in
ll.co.uk:

[...]

Thanks to all for the replies some good ideas that should help
draughtproof. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:44:31 +0000, ss wrote:

I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year. One potential problem I see

I asked the same question here recently. Following recommendations
used decorators caulk. It made a big difference. As far as I'm
concerned, especially with very price of energy, the more draught
proofing the better. Decorators caulk made a pretty much 100 per cent
draught proof seal round all my skirting boards - not much else would.
The difference in temperature is very noticeable. I'll do other rooms
when time permits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/12/2012 20:08, Simon Cee wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:44:31 +0000, wrote:

I want to draughtproof the skirtings, mainly any gaps between the floor
and skirtings, I was going to use clear caulk for this job BUT as the
floors is a cheap wooden tile overlay stuff I will be carpeting on top
of this, probably around May time next year. One potential problem I see

I asked the same question here recently. Following recommendations
used decorators caulk. It made a big difference. As far as I'm
concerned, especially with very price of energy, the more draught
proofing the better. Decorators caulk made a pretty much 100 per cent
draught proof seal round all my skirting boards - not much else would.
The difference in temperature is very noticeable. I'll do other rooms
when time permits.

Thanks for that Simon it gives me more incentive to get on and do the
job sooner rather than later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/12/2012 20:42, ss wrote:
[...]

Moving on slightly where can I get clear caulk as this would probably be
better than white, screwfix etc just appear to do mostly white.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 29/12/2012 20:42, ss wrote:
[...]

Toolstation do a very good clear one

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe.../sd2350/p71855

However, I think that I'm with the others who suggest that 'sticking' the
skirting to the floor is not such a good idea. Depending on what the floor
is made of, there could be a significant amount of forwards and backwards
movement from expansion and contraction. I actually did what you are
proposing between the skirting and a floating laminate floor in one of my
bathrooms, and the movement was enough to break the caulk seal in a few
months. In my conservatory, which has a suspended chipboard floor with a
laminate on top, there was a substantial draught from the gap. I cured this
completely by using strips cut from a thin sheet of polystyrene - I think it
was actually laminate floor underlay - and squashing these into the gap. I
used a lolly stick to do the final 'poking'.

Arfa