Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Heated towel rail in bathroom, builder told me never to switch it off

....as it also functions as a safety device if the boiler overheats.

This is the one "radiator" in the house that does not have a TRV.

Several other residents with the same CH system were told the same.

I can't find anything on the internet,

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:39:17 +0000, MM wrote:

...as it also functions as a safety device if the boiler overheats.

This is the one "radiator" in the house that does not have a TRV.

Several other residents with the same CH system were told the same.

I can't find anything on the internet,

MM

You wouldn't want a situation where all your rads were shut off and
there was zero flow through the boiler. Sometimes there is a dedicated
bypass to prevent this. In your case the towel rail serves this
purpose.

It is also normal practice not to put a TRV on the rad heating the
area where a thermostat lives.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:39:17 +0000, MM wrote:

...as it also functions as a safety device if the boiler overheats.

This is the one "radiator" in the house that does not have a TRV.

Several other residents with the same CH system were told the same.

I can't find anything on the internet,

MM

I vaguely recall reading that if all rads have a TRV, and they all go
closed, your boiler could be fired up with nowhere to go.

I've got 2 towel rads, and reused a rad from the bathroom in the porch
which doesn't have a TRV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:39:17 +0000, MM wrote:

...as it also functions as a safety device if the boiler overheats.

This is the one "radiator" in the house that does not have a TRV.

Several other residents with the same CH system were told the same.

I can't find anything on the internet,

MM

Google "CH bypass valve" for a basic idea of the situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:47:39 +0000, Ericp
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:39:17 +0000, MM wrote:

...as it also functions as a safety device if the boiler overheats.

This is the one "radiator" in the house that does not have a TRV.

Several other residents with the same CH system were told the same.

I can't find anything on the internet,

MM

Google "CH bypass valve" for a basic idea of the situation.

Ah, good one! Thanks.

MM

Heated Towel Rail cook!e UK diy 3 June 3rd 12 07:13 PM
Element for Heated Towel Rail Endulini UK diy 2 March 20th 12 12:24 AM
Heated Towel Rail billy1 UK diy 3 June 10th 07 05:28 PM
Heated towel rail Totally clueless UK diy 22 May 31st 07 11:01 PM
Heated towel rail valves? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 April 13th 06 09:23 AM