Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exterior "stain" finish - what's any good?

In 1980 I would have sworn by Sadolin PX65.

Unsurprisingly, the old adage "Sadolin poisons the world" seems to have
caught up and it doesn't exist anymore.

I need:

1) Exterior grade;

2) Microporous - as in easily overcoatable, not forming a thick surface film
like paint.

3) Coloured - dark brown, exact shade not important.

It's for gutterboard and soffits and window frames - mixture of red cedar
(which needs no real protection, so just to match the colour) and treated
softwood (for colour and protection).

The only product I "know" is the Ronseal stuff, but I'm not convinced it's
the best for the job...

Cheers!

Tim

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2012 12:08, Tim Watts wrote:
In 1980 I would have sworn by Sadolin PX65.

Unsurprisingly, the old adage "Sadolin poisons the world" seems to have
caught up and it doesn't exist anymore.

I need:

1) Exterior grade;

2) Microporous - as in easily overcoatable, not forming a thick surface film
like paint.

3) Coloured - dark brown, exact shade not important.

It's for gutterboard and soffits and window frames - mixture of red cedar
(which needs no real protection, so just to match the colour) and treated
softwood (for colour and protection).

The only product I "know" is the Ronseal stuff, but I'm not convinced it's
the best for the job...

Cheers!

Tim

I've been using Sadolin's "Extra Durable Woodstain" occasionally for a
couple of years. It's oil-based and fairly smelly, so hopefully fairly
durable when used outdoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WetClay wrote:

I've been using Sadolin's "Extra Durable Woodstain" occasionally for a
couple of years. It's oil-based and fairly smelly, so hopefully fairly
durable when used outdoors.

Thanks - that looks good. I'll try the Rosewood colour - as that's what my
uPVC windows are coloured as - and the ali windows are dark brown
powdercoat.

At the mo there is some horrible maroon coloured crap everywhere.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WetClay wrote:

I've been using Sadolin's "Extra Durable Woodstain" occasionally for a
couple of years. It's oil-based and fairly smelly, so hopefully fairly
durable when used outdoors.

From their website:

"Alkyd resin, dissolved in dearomatised white spirit."

Sounds not woofty