Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a pantry.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has ever removed a block built pantry from a 1950's built
house/bungalow?

Are there any real problems I might encounter that I cant see?

I am hoping its just stuck in there in the corner but could it be built
through the floor or ceiling or anything? The floor is wooden floorboard btw
( including in the pantry).

I would like mine removed but "demolition man" is is worried it might bring
the walls down. I think its just two walls built on after the house was
put up. Its in the corner of the kitchen

Its a bug hole and a spider trap and cobweb trap and the shelves are so deep
and inaccessible it is no use. Was planning on getting big freezer for the
space. and I want it out really. ( old freezer has given up the ghost)

Also, there is a light switch on the one wall ( light in pantry). Its
original - would that pose a problem?

Thanks for all good advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart" wrote in message

[...]

Check the room above and see if there is anything being supported.

Many moons ago some friends and I removed a mid mounted pantry in a mates
house when doing a "Refurb".
2 brick walls between two rooms, light in the middle on ceiling. Bugger all
above supported
Isolated supply, removed light fitting, disconnected the cables and traced
from floor above where they terminated and removed.
Application of some 14lb sledge hammers and within 5 minutes the ensuing
pile of rubble and dust was being wheelbarrowed into the old pond at the end
of the garden by other willing volunteers.
4 beers each later me and a mate started on the upstairs ceilings too....
You can't stop an engineer on a mission with a sledge in his hand ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 7:48*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

No-one can say until the work commences or at least some plaster has
been stripped off the interior walls..
If the building was added on, and added on correctly, the blockwork
should have been "toothed" in to the existing.

If not, it will make demolition much easier.

Any services need to be removed before demolition starts.

If your "demolition man" doesn't know this, you need another one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 7:48 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Hi,

No-one can say until the work commences or at least some plaster has
been stripped off the interior walls..
If the building was added on, and added on correctly, the blockwork
should have been "toothed" in to the existing.

If not, it will make demolition much easier.

Any services need to be removed before demolition starts.

If your "demolition man" doesn't know this, you need another one.

My demolition man can make jobs where there are none ( just to prove to me I
should not ask him todo it). However, he is a good electrician and he has
sorted the switch this afternoon. All other wires it seems are on the back
wall and in the roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2012 07:48, sweetheart wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ever removed a block built pantry from a 1950's
built
house/bungalow?

Are there any real problems I might encounter that I cant see?

I am hoping its just stuck in there in the corner but could it be built
through the floor or ceiling or anything? The floor is wooden floorboard
btw ( including in the pantry).

I would like mine removed but "demolition man" is is worried it might
bring
the walls down. I think its just two walls built on after the house was
put up. Its in the corner of the kitchen

I've done exactly that when refurbishing an ex-council property in which
the pantry sounds just the same as yours. Pretty sure it would have been
an original feature of the house.

In my case, after careful investigation (including lifting the
floorboards from the room directly above the pantry) it emerged that the
pantry didn't have any structural input to the house (and the ceiling
joists ran right over it, not in contact with the blockwork at all) so
it was very straightforward to knock it down.

That said, there's certainly no guarantee that yours is the same so of
course you'll have to investigate thoroughly. But there's a good chance
it will be OK...

Also, there is a light switch on the one wall ( light in pantry). Its
original - would that pose a problem?

No, but the cables will need tracing back and isolating safely (above
the kitchen ceiling, presumably) before demolition starts.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/12/2012 09:51, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Can you check with a couple of neighbours and see if they have a ` pantry`
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/12/2012 09:51, Lobster wrote:
On 08/12/2012 07:48, sweetheart wrote:

Can you check with a couple of neighbours and see if they have a ` pantry`

No near neighbours. No neighbours with a bungalow like ours. Nearest were
1980 build. Ours was a one off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/12/2012 09:51, Lobster wrote:
On 08/12/2012 07:48, sweetheart wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ever removed a block built pantry from a 1950's
built
house/bungalow?

Are there any real problems I might encounter that I cant see?

Just to update this. Demolition man got the job done ( took him three days
to knock out all the blocks one by one with minimum damage. The blocks were
not hooked into the wall so relatively straightforward, except once he did
it I realized how much mould, damp and condensation there really was in
there - and now the wall is the major source of condensation in the kitchen.

I have to sort this problem with more than a dehumidifier!

Got the freezer in anyway .

OH is now suffering from lump hammer arm and rheumatism - maybe now he will
deal with the cold and damp issues instead of being " Mr. Eco"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has ever removed a block built pantry from a 1950's
built
house/bungalow?

Are there any real problems I might encounter that I cant see?

I am hoping its just stuck in there in the corner but could it be built
through the floor or ceiling or anything? The floor is wooden floorboard
btw ( including in the pantry).

Make a biggish hole in the ceiling near the top of the pantry wall and
have a look through. You'll be able to see if the masonry is supporting
the joists or if they just pass across. Double check that the end of the
joists in the external wall are properly located in the masonry.
Obviously you'll also be able to see if the pantry wall is supporting
anything on the floor above.

I would like mine removed but "demolition man" is is worried it might
bring
the walls down.

You need a better man.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Are you offering? I know my man can look for excuses, hence my questions -
anyway, he has started the job this afternoon ( but all thats gone so far
are the shelves. and door)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

sweetheart wrote:
[...]

I have just checked the building regs and pantrys are OK to be demolished no
matter what type of building you live in.

HTH

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:21:03 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

I have just checked the building regs and pantrys are OK to be demolished no
matter what type of building you live in.

What about bridge supports? Holds up a lot of bridges, yer pantry
does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
You don't specify house or bungalow so this may be useless
if I remove the wall from my small pantry in the corner of the kitchen
the stairs will fall down as the wall supports the header at one side.
But a simple hole in the pantry roof will confirm any doubts.
HTH
CJ

snip
I wonder if anyone has ever removed a block built pantry from a
1950's built house/bungalow?
snip

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

CJ wrote:
Hi
You don't specify house or bungalow so this may be useless
if I remove the wall from my small pantry in the corner of the kitchen
the stairs will fall down as the wall supports the header at one side.
But a simple hole in the pantry roof will confirm any doubts.
HTH
CJ

It's a bungalow - Sweetheart has nothing upstairs.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 10, 6:57 pm, "ARW" wrote:
CJ wrote:
Hi
You don't specify house or bungalow so this may be useless
if I remove the wall from my small pantry in the corner of the kitchen
the stairs will fall down as the wall supports the header at one side.
But a simple hole in the pantry roof will confirm any doubts.
HTH
CJ

It's a bungalow - Sweetheart has nothing upstairs.
--
Adam

hey!! don't forget the goats...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:57:11 +0000, ARW wrote:
It's a bungalow - Sweetheart has nothing upstairs.

She might end up with a visible pantry line, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

In which case just send someone up in the loft and look for the walls (or
lack of).
CJ