Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default An immaculate, perfectly safe electrical installation...

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

Or Pakistan. [Googles]. No, you're right, it's India. The Telephone sign
is in Hindi.

joy....
how is their nuclear programme going these days?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 2012-12-01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

Or Pakistan. [Googles]. No, you're right, it's India. The Telephone sign
is in Hindi.

joy....
how is their nuclear programme going these days?

Is the photo (hopefully!) giving a false impression of how close that is
to the ground? I see some strands of barbed wire(?) which would only be
worth having if they stopped people climbing up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the photo (hopefully!) giving a false impression of how close that is
to the ground? I see some strands of barbed wire(?) which would only be
worth having if they stopped people climbing up.

I don't think so. Look at the seats on the chairs, the camera height
can't be much above them. The bare terminals might be 2m above the ground?

I guess the HT connections are on the other side of the transformer, so
maybe 3m above ground level?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 12:08, Dom Ostrowski wrote:

Is the photo (hopefully!) giving a false impression of how close that is
to the ground? I see some strands of barbed wire(?) which would only be
worth having if they stopped people climbing up.

I don't think so. Look at the seats on the chairs, the camera height
can't be much above them. The bare terminals might be 2m above the ground?

I guess the HT connections are on the other side of the transformer, so
maybe 3m above ground level?

Maybe it's isolated for work and there is normally some covering. I see
there is what looks like a laddered chair at the back.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

I agree - as it happens I was in India myself a few weeks ago, and was
sufficiently impressed with the incoming electrics at one place we
stayed, to record for posterity:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/614/img0038gm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/5971/img0037ez.jpg
(FYI - deliberately large images to facilitate zooming in)

These were taken at ground level, and there was absolutely nothing to
prevent anybody getting right up close. Couldn't understand how this
lot works when it rains? (And when it rains out there, it RAINS)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot60
scribeth thus
[...]

Wasn't it Prince Philip who once said, as only he can..

"Looks like an Indian electrician did that"

When observing some dodgy workmanship;?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the
word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

Or Pakistan. [Googles]. No, you're right, it's India. The Telephone sign
is in Hindi.

joy....
how is their nuclear programme going these days?

Is the photo (hopefully!) giving a false impression of how close that is
to the ground? I see some strands of barbed wire(?) which would only be
worth having if they stopped people climbing up.

It is to tangle them up in their death throes so they know who done it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

On the bright side, it must be so much easier to work on than if it were
stuck at the top of a pylon ;-)

(wonder if one could locate it in google earth?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On the bright side, it must be so much easier to work on than if it
were stuck at the top of a pylon ;-)

ISTM there are many other benefits: easy access for jump leads to the
tuktuk; infrastructure ready should electric vehicles take off;
Darwinian selection;.......

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Lobster davidlobsterp
escribió:

I agree - as it happens I was in India myself a few weeks ago, and was
sufficiently impressed with the incoming electrics at one place we
stayed, to record for posterity:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/614/img0038gm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/5971/img0037ez.jpg

Holy ****.

Wouldn't like to be too close when that rotten crossmember gives way in
the first pic.

Was that live? The devices fixed to the crossmember in the first pic
(the HT side) look like they could be fuseholders, and the fuses are
absent.

Looks like the second pic shows the LT side. I like the way someone's
tapped off it with a bit of black flex or T&E - on the unfused side!

(FYI - deliberately large images to facilitate zooming in)

cheers for those. Added to my collection of wiring horrors

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

Lots of interesting pictures in Jeffl!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

Or Pakistan. [Googles]. No, you're right, it's India. The Telephone sign
is in Hindi.

It could be Solihull...

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Lobster wrote:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/614/img0038gm.jpg

Was that live? The devices fixed to the crossmember in the first pic
(the HT side) look like they could be fuseholders, and the fuses are
absent.

Look closer ... someone has wound some wire between the fuse holder
terminals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy
Burns escribió:

Look closer ... someone has wound some wire between the fuse holder
terminals.

eep. So they have!

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bill Wright
escribió:

Lots of interesting pictures in Jeffl!

Sure are.

The Beirut Telco ones are hilarious:

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Bei...lco/index.html

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Lobster davidlobsterp
escribió:

I agree - as it happens I was in India myself a few weeks ago, and was
sufficiently impressed with the incoming electrics at one place we
stayed, to record for posterity:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/614/img0038gm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/5971/img0037ez.jpg

Holy ****.

Wouldn't like to be too close when that rotten crossmember gives way in
the first pic.

The interesting thing is that the upper assembly (all 6 insulators) looks a
bit like it used to be an isolator assembly - the sort you use a long pole
to ping open or closed - they would have had some metal gubbings in the
middle and probably an insulated linkage across the bottom to operate them
as a single unit.

Still - at least the assembly is fused now...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 12:36, SteveW wrote:
On 01/12/2012 12:08, Dom Ostrowski wrote:

Is the photo (hopefully!) giving a false impression of how close that is
to the ground? I see some strands of barbed wire(?) which would only be
worth having if they stopped people climbing up.

I don't think so. Look at the seats on the chairs, the camera height
can't be much above them. The bare terminals might be 2m above the
ground?

I guess the HT connections are on the other side of the transformer, so
maybe 3m above ground level?

Maybe it's isolated for work and there is normally some covering. I see
there is what looks like a laddered chair at the back.

I thought there ought to be a cover, but I can't see any attachment points.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Bill Wright
escribió:

Lots of interesting pictures in Jeffl!

Sure are.

The Beirut Telco ones are hilarious:

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Bei...lco/index.html

Nice.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 1, 10:02*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

--
*(\_/)
(='.'=)

They have instantaneous electric showers allover South America on the
shower head. They are controlled by an open knife switch which can
only be reached when standing in the shower. There is usually an
injunction (in Spanish) to remember to turn the water on before
closing the switch.
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&t...,r:9,s:0,i:114

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 17:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

The EXIF information indicates it came from a Ricoh camera in 2005 - a
trip through photoshop would normally strip that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 18:38, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/12/2012 17:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

The EXIF information indicates it came from a Ricoh camera in 2005 - a
trip through photoshop would normally strip that.

Its easy enough to put exif info in, its not exactly intended to be a
security key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 01/12/2012 17:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

The EXIF information indicates it came from a Ricoh camera in 2005 - a
trip through photoshop would normally strip that.

I've seen enough photos from India to believe this could be credible...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 17:46:08 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the
word "WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

If you mean the overhead wires, then if you **** about with the levels
the information's mostly there - I think it may just be the way light is
hitting them. I'm not certain about the red/yellow/blue wires though;
some of the edges look a little suspect.

If it is a fake then it's been done pretty well - and given some of the
other 'street level' wiring photos I've seen it could well be genuine.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 17:46:08 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

If you mean the overhead wires, then if you **** about with the levels
the information's mostly there

Could just be over exposure in that area.

I'm not certain about the red/yellow/blue wires though;
some of the edges look a little suspect.

I doubt a jpg straight from a camera would have an alpha channel, this
one does, which would be dead handy if you wanted to shoop it!

The dodgy bits are where a blue wire passes by the left shoulder of the
bloke in the shop, and a red wire in front of his right shoulder, shadow
and reflection angles seem inconsistent too.

I suspect the pole exists in that condition, but nowhere near those
shops, and maybe not so close to the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote:
On 01/12/2012 18:38, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/12/2012 17:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

The EXIF information indicates it came from a Ricoh camera in 2005 - a
trip through photoshop would normally strip that.

Its easy enough to put exif info in, its not exactly intended to be a security key.

What are the grey horizontal stripes behind the seated man but in front of
the blue cable?

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2012 13:32, Nige Danton wrote:
What are the grey horizontal stripes behind the seated man but in front of
the blue cable?

And in the top right corner there are three wires leading out of
picture. At least, one of them leads out of picture, the other two fade
out of existence. And the three that lead over the telephone sign seem
transparent in spots.

The base of the RH pole is clearly in sunlight, and the shadow matches
the shadows in the background. Why aren't there any sings of sunlight
on the transformer or wires?

Must have taken along time to do.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
On 01/12/2012 10:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/electrical-safety.jpg

I particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of
the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word
"WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and
pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

From the way the wires fade out I would say its a photoshop job.

You should get out more Den, to India perhaps?.

And don't forget to take your Brownie box...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2012 20:30, Andy Champ wrote:
On 02/12/2012 13:32, Nige Danton wrote:
What are the grey horizontal stripes behind the seated man but in
front of
the blue cable?

And in the top right corner there are three wires leading out of
picture. At least, one of them leads out of picture, the other two fade
out of existence. And the three that lead over the telephone sign seem
transparent in spots.

The left most of them is there - but mostly lost in jpeg artefacts - if
you play with the contrast and brightness enough you can see the track
of the wire. The right most of them is simply "burnt out" (in
photographic terms rather than electrical).

The base of the RH pole is clearly in sunlight, and the shadow matches
the shadows in the background. Why aren't there any sings of sunlight
on the transformer or wires?

There is.. Look at the yellow wire just below the bottom right hand edge
of the transformer - near the red printed notice. The sheath of that is
clearly in inlight. As is the right hand side of the big grey cable that
passes under it from left to right then drops down. The same is true for
the large grey cables that loop around on the lsft of the picture.

Must have taken along time to do.

I can't see any evidence of it being altered.

More to the point, why would you suspect its altered? There are plenty
of similar photos about that show similar installations - in fact its
remarkably similar in many respects to substation photo of Lobster's
that he posted earlier. e.g.:

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/5971/img0037ez.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 22:10:49 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I can't see any evidence of it being altered.

I'm not convinced about the red wire where is crosses over the seated
mans white clothing and the blue wire seems very translucent to the left
of his ear.

The sunlight thing, weel the sun is not onto the face we can see it's
slighly behind. The face of the righthand leg is not sun lit.

Oh just spotted something else a bit strange. The first red wire from the
left where it disappears behind the blue doesn't seem quite right and
there is a similar red spoldge nesr the right arm of the chair. That
could be the jpeg compression and the moire patterning from the detail of
the chair back having an argument though.

TBH I wouldn't be at all surprised at it being genuine.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2012 22:37, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 22:10:49 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I can't see any evidence of it being altered.

I'm not convinced about the red wire where is crosses over the seated
mans white clothing and the blue wire seems very translucent to the left
of his ear.

Its not helped by the wires themselves being dirty in places. The main
difficulty is there is so much JPEG compression that you are losing much
of the detail.

The sunlight thing, weel the sun is not onto the face we can see it's
slighly behind. The face of the righthand leg is not sun lit.

Oh just spotted something else a bit strange. The first red wire from the
left where it disappears behind the blue doesn't seem quite right and
there is a similar red spoldge nesr the right arm of the chair. That
could be the jpeg compression and the moire patterning from the detail of
the chair back having an argument though.

There is an equal measure of green as well though, and it occupies a
number of compression cells in that area.

TBH I wouldn't be at all surprised at it being genuine.

It hardly seems extreme enough to make it worth faking.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 01:01, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

The top of the building is all washed out too, and it looks like it
should be in shadow. Maybe its a triangular building?

People fake stuff like that just to say they can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2012 22:10, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Ah, but maybe that was faked too!?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 09:21:11 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

People fake stuff like that just to say they can.

Why the **** would anyone bother? To show the dangerous state of
electrical sub-stations in some parts of the world? Simply not worth
the trouble, as thousands of undoctored photographs attest to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
[...]

Indeed why would anyone bother to fake what's all too gen in countries
like that. Parts of Africa aren't that different .. where they have got
power that is; !...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
[...]

Dennis.. Go out on a bright day and take some pix of wires up in the sky
and see how they do fade out. Or go on Google maps and using the map
viewer look up in most areas and see power and phone lines disappear
against the brighter sky...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
On 03/12/2012 13:57, tony sayer wrote:

Dennis.. Go out on a bright day and take some pix of wires up in the sky
and see how they do fade out. Or go on Google maps and using the map
viewer look up in most areas and see power and phone lines disappear
against the brighter sky...

They don't fade out like that on any pictures I take, well not unless I
want them to.
Its not as though the wires go off into the sun as can be seen by the
shadows.

You must have an amazing camera den!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 20:10, tony sayer wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
On 03/12/2012 13:57, tony sayer wrote:

Dennis.. Go out on a bright day and take some pix of wires up in the sky
and see how they do fade out. Or go on Google maps and using the map
viewer look up in most areas and see power and phone lines disappear
against the brighter sky...

They don't fade out like that on any pictures I take, well not unless I
want them to.
Its not as though the wires go off into the sun as can be seen by the
shadows.

You must have an amazing camera den!...

You must have a cr@p one, try putting it on auto if its too difficult
for you.