Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "The Garage" on "Quest" Channel

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a load
of cowboys!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a load
of cowboys!

It is a made up 'entertainment' show. Watch it, expecting rubbish, and
you'll be happy.

Ever watched 'Storage Hunters"? Saw a few of those, and the 2 blokes
make good money out of what they buy, - why do people leave such good
stuff in a lock-up?
Then you see another series, and it's a bloke and woman rather than the
2 blokes They buy the exact same stuff, and sell it to the exact same
dealers afterwards. So clearly,someone has been round buying stuff from
secondhand dealers, putting it in store, failing to pay the rent, then
this lucky couple come along and get the lot at a bargain price, and,
amazingly, the TV cameras are there again.

Or, it is all made up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:58:02 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a load
of cowboys!

It is a made up 'entertainment' show. Watch it, expecting rubbish, and
you'll be happy.

Ever watched 'Storage Hunters"? Saw a few of those, and the 2 blokes
make good money out of what they buy, - why do people leave such good
stuff in a lock-up?
Then you see another series, and it's a bloke and woman rather than the
2 blokes They buy the exact same stuff, and sell it to the exact same
dealers afterwards. So clearly,someone has been round buying stuff from
secondhand dealers, putting it in store, failing to pay the rent, then
this lucky couple come along and get the lot at a bargain price, and,
amazingly, the TV cameras are there again.

Or, it is all made up.

I like 'Reality TV' - it's fantastic!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These should really be called re enactment tv. I will give them the benefit
of the doubt that what happened did in fact happen to someone somewhere but
with reshoots and all that its all a bit folse to the ears.
Its one step back from a colgate advert way of working.

Brian

Email:

.. .

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2012, you wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a
load of cowboys!

The episode I saw had them repairing an old Mini. It wouldn't start so they
ordered a new distributor (they had already fitted a new coil). Guess what
- it still didn't start!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/12 17:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a load
of cowboys!

I watched it with sub-titles because I couldn't understand what they
were saying. Is it just me or are the sub-titles on Freeview several
minutes behind the pictures?

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:59:59 PM UTC, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/11/12 17:43, DerbyBorn wrote:

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a load

of cowboys!

I watched it with sub-titles because I couldn't understand what they

were saying. Is it just me or are the sub-titles on Freeview several

minutes behind the pictures?

I think on some programmes they use some sort of real-time subtitles, whether it is a person or a computer I'm not sure. If you watch the news, there are some real howlers that suggest it is done on an a phonetic basis. I was sitting watching this whilst waiting for new tyres to be fitted (to my car). Sometimes the subtitles were still for the previous report ! I'm not sure what happens at the end of the programme.
However, if the programme was made with subtitles available as part of the production process, these will be in time with the pictures.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
sm_jamieson writes

I think on some programmes they use some sort of real-time subtitles,
whether it is a person or a computer

The best uncorrected one I have seen recently was on a cookery program,
"Come dine with me," where they stated that they were cooking "crap" I
think that from the images shown that it should have been "crab", but
who knows? Maybe they were correct.

I'm not sure. If you watch the news, there are some real howlers that
suggest it is done on an a phonetic basis. I was sitting watching this
whilst waiting for new tyres to be fitted (to my car). Sometimes the
subtitles were still for the previous report ! I'm not sure what
happens at the end of the programme.
However, if the programme was made with subtitles available as part of
the production process, these will be in time with the pictures.
Simon.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-01, alan wrote:

It much the same as the UK antique programmes which show that it's very
hard to buy anything from the "trade" that can make a profit in an
auction.

That's because it's the wrong way round. The correct business model is
to buy at auction and sell retail.

Or to buy at auction and sell at another auction in another town. You
need to know what sells where
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/12 16:15, sm_jamieson wrote:
I watched it with sub-titles because I couldn't understand what they

were saying. Is it just me or are the sub-titles on Freeview several

minutes behind the pictures?

I think on some programmes they use some sort of real-time subtitles, whether it is a person or a computer I'm not sure. If you watch the news, there are some real howlers that suggest it is done on an a phonetic basis. I was sitting watching this whilst waiting for new tyres to be fitted (to my car). Sometimes the subtitles were still for the previous report ! I'm not sure what happens at the end of the programme.
However, if the programme was made with subtitles available as part of the production process, these will be in time with the pictures.
Simon.

I'm familiar with what you're saying. These are definitely
post-production sub-titles which have got a long way out of sync.

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 30, 2012 6:58:02 PM UTC, A.Lee wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

Ever watched 'Storage Hunters"? Saw a few of those, and the 2 blokes

make good money out of what they buy, - why do people leave such good

stuff in a lock-up?

I thought the storage company had paid for the series to persuade gullible Americans to pay good money for dank sheds full of abandoned tat that the 'winner' will then have to pay to dump.

They had one 'character' explaining his bidding strategy of bidding on lockers he didn't want so that his competitors would have to pay more. Utter nonsense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Onetap writes
DerbyBorn wrote:

Ever watched 'Storage Hunters"? Saw a few of those, and the 2 blokes

make good money out of what they buy, - why do people leave such good

stuff in a lock-up?

Quite possibly they died and no one knew that they rented a locker, or
as in at least one case on the show, it was rented by criminals to use
as an office.

I thought the storage company had paid for the series to persuade
gullible Americans to pay good money for dank sheds full of abandoned
tat that the 'winner' will then have to pay to dump.

Undoubtedly!! :-)

They had one 'character' explaining his bidding strategy of bidding on
lockers he didn't want so that his competitors would have to pay more.
Utter nonsense.

I've used this tactic at a number of auctions, it takes a bit of time to
get to know peoples reactions and tell tail signs of their intentions,
but once figured out it can be a useful method of getting them to spend
out before the end of the auction. Only useful of course if the lots
that you want are near to the end!

Failing that the tactic of putting in a higher than requested bid can
stop a few people in their tracks, mainly it is down to bull sh1t and
luck though.

First rule of bidding, do not show emotion. Second rule, stick to the
first rule, no matter how much you want something.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2012 12:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
On 30 Nov 2012, you wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a
load of cowboys!

The episode I saw had them repairing an old Mini. It wouldn't start so they
ordered a new distributor (they had already fitted a new coil). Guess what
- it still didn't start!

I find it strange the garage name is "English Mechanics" and it's owned
by a Scot ... obvioulsy quite happy to sell his heritage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find it a bit odd you're replying to a 4 month old thread

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2013 19:17, Jim K wrote:
I find it a bit odd you're replying to a 4 month old thread

Jim K

Only showed up for me today,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Make that 16month old.