Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Fiat Punto interim service cost?

We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot, no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost £185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:42:39 -0000, Jane wrote:

We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and
mot, no advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost £185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

£50 odd quid for the MOT, £10 + labour for the gaiter another £35? Leaves
£100 for service fluids, filters and labour, so about ball park. Service
for my car is £400.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 29, 8:42*pm, "Jane" wrote:
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot, no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost 185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Sounds about right.

Those headline figures of "£99 service" always have a little "From" in
front of them.

I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle you have to drive to actually
pay only 99 quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 8:42 pm, "Jane" wrote:
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot,
no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost 185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Sounds about right.

Those headline figures of "£99 service" always have a little "From" in
front of them.

I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle you have to drive to actually
pay only 99 quid.

Punto 1.2 2003, t hey quoted £60 for the service plus parts, final price
seemed inflated to me.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 4:55*pm, "Jane" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

On Nov 29, 8:42 pm, "Jane" wrote:

We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot,
no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost 185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Sounds about right.

Those headline figures of " 99 service" always have a little "From" in
front of them.

I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle you have to drive to actually
pay only 99 quid.

Punto 1.2 2003, t hey quoted 60 for the service plus parts, final price
seemed inflated to me.

What's the breakdown on the invoice? Were the gaiters the only "parts"
or where things like oil or pollen filters, brake pads, wiper blades
replaced as part of the service and MOT pre-check? What type of oil if
it was changed?

It could well be reasonable but there just isn't enough info to go on.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:42:39 -0000, Jane wrote:

We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and
mot, no advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost £185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

£50 odd quid for the MOT, £10 + labour for the gaiter another £35?

I better move to Yorkshire.

round ere, I doubt that you will get a labour bill for under 40 quid even if
it only takes then 5 minutes to fit the item in question

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2012 20:42, Jane wrote:
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot, no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost £185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Just paid £97 for a gaiter and an MOT, no service.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 29, 9:03 pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Service
for my car is £400.

don'cha know....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2012 16:55, Jane wrote:
"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 8:42 pm, "Jane" wrote:
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot,
no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost 185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Sounds about right.

Those headline figures of "£99 service" always have a little "From" in
front of them.

I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle you have to drive to actually
pay only 99 quid.

Punto 1.2 2003, t hey quoted £60 for the service plus parts, final price
seemed inflated to me.

Also the price you pay for parts will be full retail. I can get 5Ltrs
of fully synthetic oil for £20. How much do you think you were
charged? Do you even know what oil they used?

Why not invest the major part of the service costs and do it yourself,
after all this is a DIY newsgroup.

You can make tremendous savings. At the weekend I changed a
head-gasket; Head gasket was £7.50, yet if I took this to a garage I
doubt I'd get much change out of £200.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 10:03 pm, Fredxx wrote:
On 30/11/2012 16:55, Jane wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 8:42 pm, "Jane" wrote:
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot,
no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost 185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Sounds about right.

Those headline figures of " 99 service" always have a little "From" in
front of them.

I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle you have to drive to actually
pay only 99 quid.

Punto 1.2 2003, t hey quoted 60 for the service plus parts, final price
seemed inflated to me.

Also the price you pay for parts will be full retail. I can get 5Ltrs
of fully synthetic oil for 20. How much do you think you were
charged? Do you even know what oil they used?

synthetic? for a Fiat Punto?

Why not invest the major part of the service costs and do it yourself,
after all this is a DIY newsgroup.

You can make tremendous savings. At the weekend I changed a
head-gasket; Head gasket was 7.50, yet if I took this to a garage I
doubt I'd get much change out of 200.

how long did it take you though?
(and she claims to be a girl)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2012 16:55, Jane wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 8:42 pm, "Jane" wrote:
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot,
no
advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost 185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Sounds about right.

Those headline figures of " 99 service" always have a little "From" in
front of them.

I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle you have to drive to actually
pay only 99 quid.

Punto 1.2 2003, t hey quoted 60 for the service plus parts, final price
seemed inflated to me.

Also the price you pay for parts will be full retail. I can get 5Ltrs
of fully synthetic oil for 20. How much do you think you were
charged? Do you even know what oil they used?

synthetic? for a Fiat Punto?

At the same place semi-synthetic was more expensive! And why not?

Why not invest the major part of the service costs and do it yourself,
after all this is a DIY newsgroup.

You can make tremendous savings. At the weekend I changed a
head-gasket; Head gasket was 7.50, yet if I took this to a garage I
doubt I'd get much change out of 200.

how long did it take you though?

It took a day, which included drilling out some sheared bolts and
retapping the holes holding some body bits on. I've not done it before
on this car.

I actually find many jobs take less time than taking the car to the
garage and getting it back.

(and she claims to be a girl)

I thought sexism wasn't allowed as an excuse any more? I guess breaking
long nails still is!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jane" wrote in message
We've today just had the daughters car in for an interim service and mot,
no advisories and passed mot and one gaiter fitted to CV joint.

Total cost £185.00 in Yorkshire back street garage, does this sound
excessive?

Depends what they *actually* did !!

"interim service" - wipe the oil filter with a rag and put some oily marks
on the drivers seat ????