Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anti-creep mat

Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to
stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move
slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to
stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only
move slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

We had a couple of offcuts *edged* by J. Lewis. They wander several
inches per day.

I assume the carpet they lie on acts as a sort of ratchet.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 22:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes
Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool)
to stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only
move slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

We had a couple of offcuts *edged* by J. Lewis. They wander several
inches per day.

I assume the carpet they lie on acts as a sort of ratchet.

The mat is actually a properly made one - but I think you are right.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 21:45, polygonum wrote:
Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to
stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move
slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

Four screws through the carpet and into the floor. Four washers with one
edge sown to the underside of the mat. Hook the washers over the screw
threads.

That's how my parents first hall, stairs and landing carpet was fitted.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 November 2012 23:23:57 UTC, SteveW wrote:
On 28/11/2012 21:45, polygonum wrote:

Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to

stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move

slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,

underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

Four screws through the carpet and into the floor. Four washers with one

edge sown to the underside of the mat. Hook the washers over the screw

threads.

That's how my parents first hall, stairs and landing carpet was fitted.

SteveW

We had the same basic idea in the house I grew up in, except that dad used press-studs. Nowadays I guess it would be velcro.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 23:23, SteveW wrote:
On 28/11/2012 21:45, polygonum wrote:
Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to
stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move
slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

Four screws through the carpet and into the floor. Four washers with one
edge sown to the underside of the mat. Hook the washers over the screw
threads.

That's how my parents first hall, stairs and landing carpet was fitted.

My current house had all the fitted carpets installed like that (albeit
using nails rather than screws); in fact I took the last such carpet to
the dump last weekend, as it happens

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 9:45*pm, polygonum wrote:
Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to
stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move
slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

--
Rod

We have the same problem.
We have the double sided tape stuff.
If you use it, one important point I have discovered.
You have to stick it on in a place where you actually put your foot.
This keeps it stuck down. Otherwise it comes unstuck very quickly.

And some tape is a lot better than others. (ie stays stuck)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:45:10 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to
stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move
slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

Ikea STOPP

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80227877/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2012 13:35, The Other Mike wrote:
Ikea STOPP

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80227877/

I think that is intended to stop carpet slipping on hard floors.

I have a couple of rugs in the house that "walk". We put up with it
mostly, but the mat inside the front door walks toward the door. This
means that after a few ins and outs it actually catches in the door and
prevents closing. Of course as Sod's Law dictates that has to happen
when you are coming in loaded with several bags of shopping.

That mat is fix as others have recommended and is screwed down. I used
brass screws and cup washers so it does not look hiddeous.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 9:45*pm, polygonum wrote:
Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes,
underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

I can recommend what we got from a carpet shop. It comes as a thin
sheet which is slightly sticky to the touch on both sides, and
although it *can* be lifted and re-positioned after application they
recommend that you don't (presumably because it loses some
'stickiness'). It was expensive - and unfortunately I don't know what
it's called - but it's the only stuff I've ever tried which really
does stop a mat creeping across a carpet.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 29, 3:28*pm, Richard Russell wrote:
It was expensive - and unfortunately I don't know what it's called

Miraculously I've just found the original wrapper: it's called
'Multigrip', made in the USA but distributed in the UK by these
people:

http://www.hiltonbanks.com/

Comes as a 1.2m x 1.8m sheet that you cut to size, and then peel off
the backing.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2012 15:42, Richard Russell wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:28 pm, Richard Russell wrote:
It was expensive - and unfortunately I don't know what it's called

Miraculously I've just found the original wrapper: it's called
'Multigrip', made in the USA but distributed in the UK by these
people:

http://www.hiltonbanks.com/

Comes as a 1.2m x 1.8m sheet that you cut to size, and then peel off
the backing.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Thanks to all. I did not find anything convincing on eBay, Amazon,
general searches, etc. Found myself in a carpet shop today and saw
something very like what you describe. Bought some. Now got to take to
mother's house and see if it works!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:07:21 +0000, "Alan (BigAl)" wrote:

On 29/11/2012 13:35, The Other Mike wrote:
Ikea STOPP

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80227877/

I think that is intended to stop carpet slipping on hard floors.

It might be intended for that but it works with rugs on carpets. We found a
need to buy a new one every two or three years as it eventually loses its
stickyness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2012 16:01, The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:07:21 +0000, "Alan (BigAl)" wrote:

On 29/11/2012 13:35, The Other Mike wrote:
Ikea STOPP

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80227877/

I think that is intended to stop carpet slipping on hard floors.

It might be intended for that but it works with rugs on carpets. We found a
need to buy a new one every two or three years as it eventually loses its
stickyness.

We tried that (or maybe a previous incarnation) - found it got scruffled
up over time and stopped being effective. Thanks.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 29, 3:54*pm, polygonum wrote:
Bought some. Now got to take to mother's house and see if it works!

Ours says 'Guaranteed 5 years' but I rather suspect that doesn't mean
the mat is guaranteed not to move for five years!

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:54:43 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:
On 29/11/2012 15:42, Richard Russell wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:28 pm, Richard Russell wrote:

It was expensive - and unfortunately I don't know what it's called

Miraculously I've just found the original wrapper: it's called
'Multigrip', made in the USA but distributed in the UK by these
people:

http://www.hiltonbanks.com/

Comes as a 1.2m x 1.8m sheet that you cut to size, and then peel off
the backing.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Thanks to all. I did not find anything convincing on eBay, Amazon,
general searches, etc. Found myself in a carpet shop today and saw
something very like what you describe. Bought some. Now got to take to
mother's house and see if it works!

Applying a thin layer with a scraper, pushing it in somewhat, of a soft silicone should do the same thing for less.

NT