Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mosaic Tiles

I hate mosaics.

I detest mosaics.

They should be banned.

Have spent much of yesterday and today putting up a tiny border of
"header-stretcher bond" mosaics. First attempt, I found I could not get
them aligned and even - so took them down and soaked the drying adhesive
off. Tried again today and did manage eventually, but not before trying
to slide down the wall, wanting to be out of alignment in all three
dimensions (and maybe a few additional ones as well) and forming a step
from the other tiles (which are a different thickness), and generally
being sods.

Next time, if ever I am stupid enough to do any in the future, I shall
be very tempted to stick them onto a piece of horizontal plasterboard
(or other base) and then stick the whole board up. Or put them face down
and spread adhesive onto their backs and let it set. Or almost anything
than what I went through this time.

They do look nice. Only a few more to finish off tomorrow.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 22, 9:37*pm, polygonum wrote:
[...]

If they are square, you should be using spacers, keeps them in place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2012 08:42, harry wrote:
[...]

I was using spacers. But the individual mosaics had uneven sides so a
spacer which appeared OK on some of them was way wrong on another.
Second attempt used strips of cardboard which worked much better.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 23, 2012 8:46:06 AM UTC, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Individual mosaics are a pain. A good high grab adhesive is useful. You can push them in level using a board over the surrounding tiles, then shove in some spacers to keep them in place.
But it the adhesive is rubbish, they will slide all over the place.

My method for a net of mosaics (a different thing) is:
1. Do other tiling first and leave a gap for the mosaics.
2. "Hang" the net of mosaics from the tiles above using gaffer tape, so that the are in precise the correct place when pushed into the gap.
3. Fold them up and out of the way, holding with more gaffer tape.
4. Make a tool to scrape off a solid adhesive bed to just less that the depth of the mosaic tiles.
5. Fold the mosaics back down and push gently into the adhesive, leveling with the surrounding tiles using a flat board.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2012 09:12, sm_jamieson wrote:

Individual mosaics are a pain. A good high grab adhesive is useful. You can push them in level using a board over the surrounding tiles, then shove in some spacers to keep them in place.
But it the adhesive is rubbish, they will slide all over the place.

My method for a net of mosaics (a different thing) is:
1. Do other tiling first and leave a gap for the mosaics.
2. "Hang" the net of mosaics from the tiles above using gaffer tape, so that the are in precise the correct place when pushed into the gap.
3. Fold them up and out of the way, holding with more gaffer tape.
4. Make a tool to scrape off a solid adhesive bed to just less that the depth of the mosaic tiles.
5. Fold the mosaics back down and push gently into the adhesive, leveling with the surrounding tiles using a flat board.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Some of what you said has been useful in the finishing off
bits.

The additional factor which has made it extra-difficult was the need to
fix edging strips at the same time.

The hanging technique, whilst not easy with the precise arrangement I
have, did help a lot.

The mosaics are netted. But lots of factors have made them more
difficult than they might otherwise have been. There are at least four
different materials - each with their own porosity/absorption ranging
from zero (glass) to insta-dry clay.

And the adhesive I had was crap. Am sure that you sandcastles have more
tack than this garbage. And a mud-pie has less slip/slide/slump capacity.

--
Rod

Mosaic Tiles Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 5 March 12th 08 02:44 PM
mosaic shower base in mosaic tiles fredinstl Home Repair 1 January 3rd 08 02:11 AM
Mosaic tiles on sheets, How do I fix them? petercharlesfagg[_2_] UK diy 7 November 21st 07 06:46 PM
Mosaic Tiles alexbartman UK diy 4 April 19th 05 12:10 PM
fitting mosaic tiles? John Stumbles UK diy 2 May 19th 04 10:08 AM