Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gridwatch news.

Tilbury biomass seems to be off line
But wind is actually producing something today.
And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life. We seem to
be dumping power to Irish Republic today.
Nuclear looks very sick though. Lot of reactors down at the moment.

This could be a tricky winter..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:40:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tilbury biomass seems to be off line

That's been chugging along at half a gigawatt for quite a while. Perhaps
they need to sweep the chimney? B-)

But wind is actually producing something today.

It's damn windy here, F7 to F8 with gusts to 50mph. Surprised that wind
hasn't had to shut down 'cause it's too windy.

And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life.

Where does that run from and to?

We seem to be dumping power to Irish Republic today.

We are nearly always sending power to the Irish.

Nuclear looks very sick though. Lot of reactors down at the moment.

It's dropped a couple of GW in the last few days.

This could be a tricky winter..

Did you spot the OCGT during the 1800 peak on, I think, Friday last week?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tilbury biomass seems to be off line
But wind is actually producing something today.
And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life. We seem to
be dumping power to Irish Republic today.
Nuclear looks very sick though. Lot of reactors down at the moment.

Wind has hit the 4.5 GW mark. That's the highest I've seen. Gonna have to
increase the scale on that gauge.

Whitelee wind farm next door to me has now started up some of the new 2 MW
turbines that they installed recently - and it's going like the clappers !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/12 15:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:40:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tilbury biomass seems to be off line

That's been chugging along at half a gigawatt for quite a while. Perhaps
they need to sweep the chimney? B-)

But wind is actually producing something today.

It's damn windy here, F7 to F8 with gusts to 50mph. Surprised that wind
hasn't had to shut down 'cause it's too windy.

And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life.

Where does that run from and to?

http://www.eirgridprojects.com/proje...nterconnector/

keep the light on in Dublin I think.

We seem to be dumping power to Irish Republic today.

We are nearly always sending power to the Irish.

But not the republic..

Nuclear looks very sick though. Lot of reactors down at the moment.

It's dropped a couple of GW in the last few days.

This could be a tricky winter..

Did you spot the OCGT during the 1800 peak on, I think, Friday last week?

I missed that, but its the second time his year then,. also the oil station.

I think we will need the bloody lot this winter
--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nuclear looks very sick though. Lot of reactors down at the moment.

That's usually when we get busy; but things seem to be a bit slack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tilbury biomass seems to be off line

Some should be coming back soon but they are up and down like a whores knickers

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/120352...rket-messages/

But wind is actually producing something today.

Looks out of window and sees hell freezing over

And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life.

Commissioning load, commercial operation isn't scheduled until the end of
January 2013.

We seem to
be dumping power to Irish Republic today.

500MW between the two interconnectors. It's significant for such a small island
but the only way to fully test an interconector is by reconfiguring the grid
both sides of the link and reducing or increasing generation at one or both
sides. Unusual in these circumstances to see both UK-IRL links having the same
direction of power flow though, export on one and import on another would go
some way to reducing the impact of any loss of generation, load or link. Maybe
the Irish are short on generation at the moment but the new interconnector was
intended to enable wind generation export from the Republic not for any UK
export or balancing around peak demand.

Nuclear looks very sick though. Lot of reactors down at the moment.

But apparently getting better quicker than expected with one possible exception

This could be a tricky winter..

Doesn't look like it to me. The minimum declared surplus this winter (week 50)
is around 12GW on 70GW availability for the same week. Take off the wind (6GW)
and there is still enough surplus for some export on the FR and NED
interconnectors with normal planned levels of spinning reserve. There is no
technical requirement for more than this, and there never was, even in the days
before wind, gas, solar, and privatisation came along.

The UK will be OK this winter but the lights might go out in Europe

But as the saying goes, your wind and solar may vary, but it'll always be
dragging its arse along the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:13:11 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:40:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And the Eirgrid east-west connector is showing signs of life.

Where does that run from and to?

Electrically from North of Dublin to West of Chester

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the excellent updates.. you ought to have a login on the site
to post messages up..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:37:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you spot the OCGT during the 1800 peak on, I think, Friday last
week?

I missed that, but its the second time his year then,. also the oil
station.

Oil doing 200 MW as I type and I see coal is down at least 2 to 3 GW all
today from where it has been (20 GW ish) during the day for quite a
while. Nuclear has come back a bit.

Current demand is 46.83 GW the 1800 peaks have been 50 GW recently where
is that 4+ GW going to come from gas & pumped & oil?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/12 16:28, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:37:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you spot the OCGT during the 1800 peak on, I think, Friday last
week?

I missed that, but its the second time his year then,. also the oil
station.

Oil doing 200 MW as I type and I see coal is down at least 2 to 3 GW all
today from where it has been (20 GW ish) during the day for quite a
while. Nuclear has come back a bit.

Current demand is 46.83 GW the 1800 peaks have been 50 GW recently where
is that 4+ GW going to come from gas & pumped & oil?

Looks like one coal plant or more is off for the weekend..that's normal.
In general without breaking the bank there's 22 coal, 20 gas 6 nuclear -
that's 48 before you even scratch around the rest.

And the rest? well there's 700MW of wood, 200MW+ of oil, similar OCGT so
that's another gig and a couple of gig of hydro/pumped. Esp. after all
this rain.. so 52 with no wind at all. Really you want to totally ignore
wind for available capacity, because you can't turn it on when you need it.

There's a bit of Irish OCGT too which reflects into lower drain to Ireland .

I've upped the wind meter to 5.5GW.

Gridwatch query TMC[_2_] UK diy 15 February 29th 12 11:34 PM
New gridwatch Andy Burns[_7_] UK diy 2 November 22nd 11 02:31 PM
New gridwatch The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 0 November 22nd 11 02:30 PM
IT News - Tech News - Search Engine News - Updates News Page O Rama Home Repair 1 April 23rd 06 04:13 PM