Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gridwatch query

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Are there any such sites for other countries?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
I use the UK Gridwatch site

Are there any such sites for other countries?

No sadly. I found a bit of data on Germany and Austria somewhere.

It simply was not real time or comprehensive enough to be usable.
Just some pretty Flash graphs showing how wonderful wind and solar were,
except at night when there was no solar, and in the cold still winter,
when there was no wind either.

But the UK is streets ahead in terms of reporting publicly interesting
information.

I WISH there was more.

I would LOVE to do a map of e.g. river levels for really good flood
indication..

there are thousands of radio sensors all along our rivers showing the
actual water level..but they are not available on line at all.

Likewise it would be really cool (sic!) to take amateur observation of
e,g. meteorological data and show rainfall sunfall and temperature maps
a LOT better than the very few public stations the met office has.

In fact so much Really Useful Data (RUD, as opposed to private data
which is all FUD) could be centralised and normalised and displayed in
this way...

As I say, find me a data source* and I will build the sites.

*online, real time, and at least available in some form of textual
format. I can't decipher graphs. Even less can I decipher flash movies..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

I would LOVE to do a map of e.g. river levels for really good flood
indication..

there are thousands of radio sensors all along our rivers showing the
actual water level..but they are not available on line at all.

The EA has a reasonably useful real-time river level site, and Q22 of
their FAQ implies they're working on making raw data available if you
want to try and do better,

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...s/default.aspx

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Kelley" wrote in message
TMC wrote:

I would LOVE to do a map of e.g. river levels for really good flood
indication..

there are thousands of radio sensors all along our rivers showing the
actual water level..but they are not available on line at all.

The EA has a reasonably useful real-time river level site, and Q22 of
their FAQ implies they're working on making raw data available if you want
to try and do better,

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...s/default.aspx

Simon.

Excellent link I can spend hours looking at this

some heavy rain would make it more interesting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Kelley wrote:
TMC wrote:

I would LOVE to do a map of e.g. river levels for really good flood
indication..

there are thousands of radio sensors all along our rivers showing the
actual water level..but they are not available on line at all.

The EA has a reasonably useful real-time river level site, and Q22 of
their FAQ implies they're working on making raw data available if you
want to try and do better,

One an always dop better.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...s/default.aspx

Hmm. I'll bookmark that.

The have actually dine a fair job when all is said and done but one
might do better..

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Simon Kelley wrote:
TMC wrote:

I would LOVE to do a map of e.g. river levels for really good flood
indication..

there are thousands of radio sensors all along our rivers showing the
actual water level..but they are not available on line at all.

The EA has a reasonably useful real-time river level site, and Q22 of
their FAQ implies they're working on making raw data available if you
want to try and do better,

One an always dop better.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...levels/default

.aspx

Hmm. I'll bookmark that.

The have actually dine a fair job when all is said and done but one
might do better..

Bit scary the low readings of the levels over most of the area, East
Anglia that is;!...

Simon.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes
I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

writes

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Server's been upgraded to a RasPi, hope you weren't planning on ordering
anything from Farnell today geoff? RS seem to be coping better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

geoff wrote:

writes

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Server's been upgraded to a RasPi, hope you weren't planning on ordering
anything from Farnell today geoff? RS seem to be coping better.

Yep - Farnel/Onecall are nearly dead. I had the login page up once just now
- but no more.

For a company that size whose website deals with a hell of a lot of traffic,
I'm quite surprised they managed to get "slashdotted" by one product!
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:24:34 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

geoff wrote:

writes

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Server's been upgraded to a RasPi, hope you weren't planning on
ordering anything from Farnell today geoff? RS seem to be coping
better.

Yep - Farnel/Onecall are nearly dead. I had the login page up once just
now - but no more.

For a company that size whose website deals with a hell of a lot of
traffic, I'm quite surprised they managed to get "slashdotted" by one
product!

It recovered, and I even managed to order a RP.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

geoff wrote:

writes

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Server's been upgraded to a RasPi, hope you weren't planning on
ordering anything from Farnell today geoff? RS seem to be coping
better.

Yep - Farnel/Onecall are nearly dead. I had the login page up once just
now - but no more.

For a company that size whose website deals with a hell of a lot of
traffic, I'm quite surprised they managed to get "slashdotted" by one
product!

It recovered, and I even managed to order a RP.

Lucky you! It's dead again.

RS have sold out already according to Twitter and are taking preorders...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:24:34 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Yep - Farnel/Onecall are nearly dead.

It recovered, and I even managed to order a RP.

Still down from here, I managed to re-load the "bones" of an old Farnell
page from my web history, html only, no images/css, most of the time
their server is just sending RST

Any one know the RS part number for a raspi? The search on their webpage
only brings up the "register your interest" page, which apparently is
the old page.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:24:34 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Yep - Farnel/Onecall are nearly dead.

It recovered, and I even managed to order a RP.

Still down from here, I managed to re-load the "bones" of an old Farnell
page from my web history, html only, no images/css, most of the time
their server is just sending RST

Any one know the RS part number for a raspi? The search on their webpage
only brings up the "register your interest" page, which apparently is
the old page.

It's quite refreshing that a piece of genuine technology is attracting the
same sort of interest as Paris Hilton's knickers would on ebay.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , TMC
writes
I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Yeah. BM reports went offline for 6 hours. No data.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
geoff wrote:

writes

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Server's been upgraded to a RasPi, hope you weren't planning on
ordering anything from Farnell today geoff? RS seem to be coping better.

Yes, I heard this from elsewhere, but I know we made an RS order without
problems (I was out doing a delivery run)

--
geoff

Ping TNP re gridwatch Mike Tomlinson UK diy 246 December 13th 11 12:37 AM
New gridwatch Andy Burns[_7_] UK diy 2 November 22nd 11 02:31 PM
New gridwatch The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 0 November 22nd 11 02:30 PM