Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

Default dab radio with extension speakers (rambling)

When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net is
good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is not
the best and football on 5live is not always broadcast on the net for
'legal reasons'.
My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with extension speakers, but
it's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get 5liveX.

I begrudge getting rid of my big (unpowered) speakers, but I cannot find a
dab radio or even a dab midi setup which uses them. Several dab radios have
earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that takes 'proper' speakers.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

Jim S wrote:

When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net is
good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is not
the best and football on 5live is not always broadcast on the net for
'legal reasons'.
My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with extension speakers, but
it's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get 5liveX.

I begrudge getting rid of my big (unpowered) speakers, but I cannot find a
dab radio or even a dab midi setup which uses them. Several dab radios have
earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that takes 'proper' speakers.

My (discontinued) Pure Evoke3 has separate headphone, SP/DIF and
line-out sockets, could you use the latter to feed an unused input to
your hi-fi?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:17:52 +0000, Jim S wrote:

My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with extension speakers,
butit's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get 5liveX.

What do you mean by "sometimes cuts out"?

Several dab radios have earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that
takes 'proper' speakers. Any ideas?

Has the FM/AM system got a line or aux in? Get a DAB radio with earphone
out and take that into the FM/AM systems line in. Set the volume on the
FM/AM set to normal, start with the DAB set turned down and increas it
until level is correct.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

"Jim S" wrote in message
When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net is
good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is not
the best and football on 5live is not always broadcast on the net for
'legal reasons'.
My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with extension speakers, but
it's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get 5liveX.

I begrudge getting rid of my big (unpowered) speakers, but I cannot find a
dab radio or even a dab midi setup which uses them. Several dab radios
have
earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that takes 'proper' speakers.
Any ideas?

If you want to use your big (unpowered) speakers then you need an amp.
Google for TA2020 amplifiers.

You should get one for about £20 from Amazon, or even less if you are
prepared to risk and wait for shipping from China.
[Just ordered
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00 but
it hasn't turned up yet so I cannot recommend it yet.]

Connect this up to your speakers.

Then get almost any DAB radio, and connect the headphone ouput to the RCA
inputs on the TA2020 amp.

Allegedly this should give you really good sound quality.

We used to play our Roberts (no relation) Gemini 49 (which has only one
speaker but outputs stereo through the headphone socket) through a midi hifi
and it sounded O.K. (the limiting factor was the poor DAB signal in our
area).

Now getting set to play Internet radio through the TA2020 amp and ceiling
speakers.
Just need to decide on the source component - probably a tablet.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net
is good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is
not the best and football on 5live is not always broadcast on the net
for 'legal reasons'. My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with
extension speakers, but it's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get
5liveX.

I begrudge getting rid of my big (unpowered) speakers, but I cannot find
a dab radio or even a dab midi setup which uses them. Several dab radios
have earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that takes 'proper'
speakers. Any ideas?

If your Hi-Fi has a spare input you could use a FreeView tuner for R5
live. You could buy a DAB tuner - but they are considerably more
expensive. FreeView tuners can be bought for about 20 quid. You'll likely
need to get an adaptor to get the audio from the SCART socket, though.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:29:17 +0000, Redrawn Buns wrote:

Jim S wrote:

When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net is
good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is not
the best and football on 5live is not always broadcast on the net for
'legal reasons'.
My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with extension speakers, but
it's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get 5liveX.

I begrudge getting rid of my big (unpowered) speakers, but I cannot find a
dab radio or even a dab midi setup which uses them. Several dab radios have
earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that takes 'proper' speakers.

My (discontinued) Pure Evoke3 has separate headphone, SP/DIF and
line-out sockets, could you use the latter to feed an unused input to
your hi-fi?

The hi-fi is on its last legs - hence the search.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk
http://geordiecamii.wordpress.com
http://geordiecam.wordpress.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
When I'm on the computer I listen to radio. Radioplayer through the net is
good, but the quality through my pc speakers (even with subwoofer) is not
the best and football on 5live is not always broadcast on the net for
'legal reasons'.
My best quality sound is from my fm/am hi-fi with extension speakers, but
it's old, sometimes cuts out and does not get 5liveX.

I begrudge getting rid of my big (unpowered) speakers, but I cannot find a
dab radio or even a dab midi setup which uses them. Several dab radios have
earphone jacks, but I have yet to find one that takes 'proper' speakers.
Any ideas?

I have a Hitachi AXM649U that i use as a DAB radio. It's a micro HiFi that,
apart from the terrible speakers is very good. DAB, FM, iPod dock, CD
Player and USB MP3 in a smallish package. It's this one:

http://reviews.comet.co.uk/0331-en_g...77/reviews.htm

Sadly I suspect not much chance of getting one via Comet. I have seen them
on Gumtree and eBay for about £100. The rave reviews are correct. The sound
quality is excellent and the amp will drive my passive Tannoy monitors at
decent levels.

Previously on eBay as 170931026410.

The speakers BTW are acceptable for a radio, just not audiophile quality.
It seems as if they were what Hitachi skimped on to produce the system at
the original price tag of £300.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

Well, if you have an aux socket on your hi fi, then surely one of the cheap
switches from cpc and a 3.5mm to phono lead will make most dab radios work
through the stereo.

Brian

"Jim S" wrote in message
[...]

From the laptop of

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:23:33 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well, if you have an aux socket on your hi fi, then surely one of the cheap
switches from cpc and a 3.5mm to phono lead will make most dab radios work
through the stereo.

Brian

The problem is with an aging hi-fi with perfectly good speakers. It's the
hi-fi that needs replacing.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk
http://geordiecamii.wordpress.com
http://geordiecam.wordpress.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
The problem is with an aging hi-fi with perfectly good speakers. It's the
hi-fi that needs replacing.

What make is it? If a decent one could likely be fixed for less cost than
buying comparable new.

--
*I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:58:04 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
The problem is with an aging hi-fi with perfectly good speakers. It's the
hi-fi that needs replacing.

What make is it? If a decent one could likely be fixed for less cost than
buying comparable new.

Technics, but then I would need a DAB tuner as well.
--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

Jim S wrote:
The problem is with an aging hi-fi with perfectly good speakers. It's
the hi-fi that needs replacing.

What make is it? If a decent one could likely be fixed for less cost
than buying comparable new.

Technics, but then I would need a DAB tuner as well.

Or a FreeView one as I suggested. They are cheap new - and you might even
find one for free on Freecycle.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

Jim S wrote:
The problem is with an aging hi-fi with perfectly good speakers. It's
the hi-fi that needs replacing.

What make is it? If a decent one could likely be fixed for less cost
than buying comparable new.

Technics, but then I would need a DAB tuner as well.

Or a FreeView one as I suggested. They are cheap new - and you might even
find one for free on Freecycle.

I have a cheap freeview tuner in the shed hooked up to a indoor aerial.
It has a built in amp and 2 speaker connectors and work great. Hooked
it up to a TV at first to tune it, and then noted the radio station down
.. I got it off freecycle as the picture was faulty now and then.

You can just get a normal Freeview box and chop a Scart lead down and
Identify the pins 1,3 and 4 for audio. Then solder on a 3.5mm jack or
RCAs or whatever audio in you kit needs.

Then again DABs are quite cheap now, but my DAB signal sucks here. YMMV

--
Regards
Camdor.