Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vice jaw replacement compatability

Hi All
I have several big & old Engineer's vices and want to whittle down
'the collection'. One is a Record No. 3 (4") vice which I'd like to keep,
partly for sentimental reasons (it belonged to my late father).

There is a small chip at the corner of one of the jaws. I see that you
can get replacement jaws of an alternative make (eg Irwin), but I've seen
nothing about compatability.

Any clues if it is possible to put the Irwin Jaws on a Record vice?

Thanks
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 November 2012 19:16:19 UTC, The Night Tripper wrote:
Any clues if it is possible to put the Irwin Jaws on a Record vice?

Irwin bought Record, so there's a good chance they're just the same.

Otherwise live with the chip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Andy

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sunday, 18 November 2012 19:16:19 UTC, The Night Tripper wrote:
Any clues if it is possible to put the Irwin Jaws on a Record vice?

Irwin bought Record, so there's a good chance they're just the same.

I didn't know that - thanks.

Otherwise live with the chip.

either that, or I can swap jaws between vices (TBC). It depends what I
want to end up with...

Thanks
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 7:16*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * I have several big & old Engineer's vices and want to whittle down
'the collection'. One is a Record No. 3 (4") vice which I'd like to keep,
partly for sentimental reasons (it belonged to my late father).

There is a small chip at the corner of one of the jaws. I see that you
can get replacement jaws of an alternative make (eg Irwin), but I've seen
nothing about compatability.

Any clues if it is possible to put the Irwin Jaws on a Record vice?

* * Thanks
* * J^n

You don't need a new jaw.
Fix the chip with electric weld and smooth with Angle Grinder.
There are special hard welding rods for this sort of thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Nov 19, 9:29*am, harry wrote:

You don't need a new jaw.
Fix the chip with electric weld and smooth with Angle Grinder.
There are special hard welding rods for this sort of thing.

And the assumptions this makes are [left as an exercise to the
reader] ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2012 15:18, jkn wrote:
On Nov 19, 9:29 am, harry wrote:

You don't need a new jaw.
Fix the chip with electric weld and smooth with Angle Grinder.
There are special hard welding rods for this sort of thing.

And the assumptions this makes are [left as an exercise to the
reader] ...

Takes a lot of skill because they are hard... :-)

--
Rod