Chris

Default Bus compatability

Does anyone know how compatable SATA (Serial ATA) is with standard
IDE/ATAPI? I'm looking to get a DVD ROM burner and it seems that SATA seems
to be a new bus standard. The only info I found was that the protocol
between SATA and ATAPI are similar and that SATA is much faster than ATAPI.
TIA,
Chris

--
Remove "NS" from the e-mail address to respond.
Norm Dresner

"Chris" wrote in message
. 97.133...
Does anyone know how compatable SATA (Serial ATA) is with standard
IDE/ATAPI? I'm looking to get a DVD ROM burner and it seems that SATA

seems
to be a new bus standard. The only info I found was that the protocol
between SATA and ATAPI are similar and that SATA is much faster than

ATAPI.
TIA,
Chris

Most of the newer SATA hard drives are being sold bundled with a SATA
controller card so there can't be too much compatibility or the
manufacturers would be packaging converters instead.

Your best source of information is the SATA organization at
http://www.sata-io.org/

Norm