Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reduce water pressure to mixer shower head? (combi system)..

Hi all,

I have a combi system (newly installed). The shower head I use is fed by
the flexi-hose outlet centrally on the bath's mixer taps unit (pretty
common setup). What is the best (cheap) way to reduce the pressure of the
hot water that arrives at the shower head?

The obvious answer would be: Simply use the taps on the mixer. The trouble
is, the pressure then changes too wildly; it is all too easy to misjudge
it, sending a very powerful jet water spray, which can dislodge the shower
head and spraying hot water averywhere. I suppose some kind of fine-tuning
tap on the shower head itself would be ideal, but I've never seen such a
shower head.

Another answer might be to add in-line stop cocks that could be set to the
desired apeture, but this would reduce the flow of hot water too much for
bath-filling purposes.

Anyone suggest any better ways?

TIA

PK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil K" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a combi system (newly installed). The shower head I use is fed by
the flexi-hose outlet centrally on the bath's mixer taps unit (pretty
common setup). What is the best (cheap) way to reduce the pressure of the
hot water that arrives at the shower head?

Change the shower head to a higher pressure/adjustable one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 11:30, Phil K wrote:
Hi all,

I have a combi system (newly installed). The shower head I use is fed by
the flexi-hose outlet centrally on the bath's mixer taps unit (pretty
common setup). What is the best (cheap) way to reduce the pressure of the
hot water that arrives at the shower head?...

Which one do you want, best or cheap? The best way is a pressure
reducing valve, but they will probably set you back at least £35.

http://www.honeywellukwater.com/prod...ducing-valves/

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Assuming you have both hot and cold at mains pressure, then a shower
head that can accept pressure reducing discs will help. It drops the
output pressure somewhat, and also makes the control from the taps a bit
more responsive.

Some of these are marketed as water saving shower heads.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

Assuming you have both hot and cold at mains pressure, then a shower
head that can accept pressure reducing discs will help. It drops the
output pressure somewhat, and also makes the control from the taps a bit
more responsive.

Some of these are marketed as water saving shower heads.

Thank you. That looks worth a try!

Thanks to the other responees too.

PK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 14:14, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

As I've metioned in previous threads, a coin with a hole drilled through
it and trapped where the shower hose screws onto the valve works very well.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 23:14, SteveW wrote:
[...]

That is essentially all the pressure reducing discs in the commercial
offerings are... (well several holes of various sizes anyway)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote in
:

As I've metioned in previous threads, a coin with a hole drilled
through it and trapped where the shower hose screws onto the valve
works very well.

SteveW

What a great idea! And why didn't I think of that? What size of hole is a
good bet?

The only problem I fear, is that if the flow-rate of water through the
mixer unit isn't more than a certain amount, the plunger doesn't stay
pulled-up (the plunger that diverts the water into the shower hose instead
of the taps, that is).

PK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2012 17:48, Phil K wrote:
SteveW wrote in
:

As I've metioned in previous threads, a coin with a hole drilled
through it and trapped where the shower hose screws onto the valve
works very well.

SteveW

What a great idea! And why didn't I think of that? What size of hole is a
good bet?

When we did it, the water pressure was incredible (to the extent of
being painful to take a shower) and a 3mm hole sufficed, but I expect
that your pressure won't be as high as that, so you'll probably need a
larger hole. You can just drill one and open it out with successive
drills until the flow is right.

The only problem I fear, is that if the flow-rate of water through the
mixer unit isn't more than a certain amount, the plunger doesn't stay
pulled-up (the plunger that diverts the water into the shower hose instead
of the taps, that is).

Well it'll only cost you 5 pence to try

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote in
:

When we did it, the water pressure was incredible (to the extent of
being painful to take a shower) and a 3mm hole sufficed, but I expect
that your pressure won't be as high as that, so you'll probably need a
larger hole. You can just drill one and open it out with successive
drills until the flow is right.

The only problem I fear, is that if the flow-rate of water through
the mixer unit isn't more than a certain amount, the plunger doesn't
stay pulled-up (the plunger that diverts the water into the shower
hose instead of the taps, that is).

Well it'll only cost you 5 pence to try

Too true! Thanks for your help...

My mains water pressure is way higher than I need too (even for filling a
bath). Can anyone tell me: If I reduce the pressure by adjusting the mains
stopcock, will that create any issues for the combi boiler? I.e., does a
combi need any specific minimum mains water input pressure?

PK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil K wrote:

My mains water pressure is way higher than I need too (even for filling a
bath). Can anyone tell me: If I reduce the pressure by adjusting the mains
stopcock, will that create any issues for the combi boiler? I.e., does a
combi need any specific minimum mains water input pressure?

PK

That will not reduce the pressure - only the max flow.

You need a pressure reducing valve for that - and if you say drop it to 4bar
you should be OK for most applications without it being thunderously
powerful.

eg

http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/Altecnic...sure-Reducing-
Valve-15mm.html

You can get them in 22mm also.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

My mains water pressure is way higher than I need too (even for
filling a bath). Can anyone tell me: If I reduce the pressure by
adjusting the mains stopcock, will that create any issues for the
combi boiler? I.e., does a combi need any specific minimum mains
water input pressure?

PK

That will not reduce the pressure - only the max flow.

Thanks; I see what you mean. Now I am wondering if it is reduced flow or
reduced pressure that I need.

PK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil K wrote:

Tim Watts wrote in
:

My mains water pressure is way higher than I need too (even for
filling a bath). Can anyone tell me: If I reduce the pressure by
adjusting the mains stopcock, will that create any issues for the
combi boiler? I.e., does a combi need any specific minimum mains
water input pressure?

PK

That will not reduce the pressure - only the max flow.

Thanks; I see what you mean. Now I am wondering if it is reduced flow or
reduced pressure that I need.

PK

What's your problem, specifically? Too much violence in the tap water, eg
sink splashback - or are you worried about the bath overflow not coping with
a tap left on?

There are also flow reducers which can be fitted in place of isolator valves
- you would usually do this on a per-outlet basis.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

What's your problem, specifically? Too much violence in the tap water,
eg sink splashback - or are you worried about the bath overflow not
coping with a tap left on?

The former. The water pressure (and flow rate) at the shower head is way
too powerful - say, if the mixer taps are inadvertently opened too much
(even slightly). It can dislodge the shower head from its holder, sending
water spraying everywhere, putting the bathrooms chipboard floor at risk of
damage (even though it is covered with self-adhesive tiles.

I guess the mixer taps are fairly high-geared, so that opening a tap to
full-on is quick to do (say, when one wants to fill a bath). (Not so useful
when trying to fine-tune the water heat & flow rate for showering
purposes!)

I preferred the pressure & flow rate as it was before, when it was gravity-
fed from an immersion heater in the loft. Yes, it was measley, but it was
sufficient.

There are also flow reducers which can be fitted in place of isolator
valves - you would usually do this on a per-outlet basis.

Thanks. Ideally, I think I need something that goes between the mixer unit
and the shower head. That way, I won't reduce the flow rate for thos
impatient beggars wot want to run a bath! Hopefully the e-on "flow
regulator" (reducing higher flows of water to a constant 7.6 litres per
minute) I've ordered with prove the pancea...

PK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

What's your problem, specifically? Too much violence in the tap water,
eg sink splashback - or are you worried about the bath overflow not
coping with a tap left on?

The former; not the latter. I have solved it, using a small coin with a
small hole drilled in it, as SteveW so helpfully suggested! It works
perfectly! (Thanks, Steve!)

PK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2012 12:14, Phil K wrote:
Tim Watts wrote in
:

What's your problem, specifically? Too much violence in the tap water,
eg sink splashback - or are you worried about the bath overflow not
coping with a tap left on?

The former; not the latter. I have solved it, using a small coin with a
small hole drilled in it, as SteveW so helpfully suggested! It works
perfectly! (Thanks, Steve!)

Happy to help.

SteveW

Oil combi - Mixer shower Ziggur UK diy 5 October 4th 07 10:50 PM
combi boiler/mixer shower/water regs Redeye UK diy 3 May 5th 06 12:25 PM
Shower head busted off with water pressure! [email protected] UK diy 3 September 2nd 05 12:17 PM
Device to reduce the cold water pressure to a shower? Mike Barnard UK diy 5 October 8th 04 10:35 AM
Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM