Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triphosphor Fluorescent Tube

I have 2 geartrays on the kitchen cupboard tops running 58w T8 1500mm tubes and when one tube failed I replaced both with triphosphor ones and now I find that they take about a minute to come up to full brilliance.
The old tubes were fully bright as soon as you turned them on so I was wondering is this common with triphosphor tubes or do I need to replace the geartrays with new electronic ballasts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 12, 2012 4:57:27 PM UTC, Trevor Smith wrote:
I have 2 geartrays on the kitchen cupboard tops running 58w T8 1500mm tubes and when one tube failed I replaced both with triphosphor ones and now I find that they take about a minute to come up to full brilliance.

The old tubes were fully bright as soon as you turned them on so I was wondering is this common with triphosphor tubes or do I need to replace the geartrays with new electronic ballasts.

Its not normal. If you try a different tube you'll know where the fault is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Trevor Smith wrote:
I have 2 geartrays on the kitchen cupboard tops running 58w T8 1500mm
tubes and when one tube failed I replaced both with triphosphor ones and
now I find that they take about a minute to come up to full brilliance.

Something not right. I have tri-phosphor with electronic ballasts and they
are up to full brightness in about a second or two. They do a quite
pleasant fade up from zero - non of the flickering that older ballasts did.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have just tried one of the tubes in the fitting I have in the loft and it was full brightness virtually straight away so it must be the old geartrays that at fault.
I will have to change the ballasts in them, or put a pair of battens on the top of the cupboard

How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube? MM UK diy 85 March 28th 11 10:18 AM
Fluorescent tube Chokes Bob Minchin UK diy 3 December 4th 06 01:15 PM
Seek good-priced triphosphor fluorescent lights Andy UK diy 6 August 10th 06 09:09 PM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
price of a fluorescent tube. Mick UK diy 4 April 23rd 04 03:56 PM