Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Winch or Hoist

following on from recent post on using a Winch.

I am going to be fitting a winch/hoist at far end of garage bolted to a
frame fixed to concrete floor.

As I have mains power thought it would make sense to use something like
this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QRWHR..._df_B002QRWHRO

I know normally they would be fitted 'above' with a vertical drop
........ but can anybody think of a reason why I could not fit
horizontally to give pull parallel to floor ?

Or do I need to use this type ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Champion-Ele..._sim_sbs_diy_2

If the latter then I would also need to add a 12V battery ... I'm
guessing making a DC psu that can handle the amperage and maintain 12V
would not be an easy option.

It is rated at either 66A or 84A depending on version I bought ....
(I'll pitch a separate post on this)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2012 19:53, Rick Hughes wrote:
following on from recent post on using a Winch.

I am going to be fitting a winch/hoist at far end of garage bolted to a
frame fixed to concrete floor.

As I have mains power thought it would make sense to use something like
this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QRWHR..._df_B002QRWHRO

I know normally they would be fitted 'above' with a vertical drop
....... but can anybody think of a reason why I could not fit
horizontally to give pull parallel to floor ?

The Silverline hoist looks pretty good value to me. (At that price I
would be even less inclined to reach underneath a load than I would
normally). Obviously you have to be careful not to pull at much of an
angle, although you could install fixed "guides" instead of a fairlead
to restrain the feed direction to the pulley. This probably has the
cheapest (and least flexible) type of wire rope, so it will tend to
"birdcage" off the pulley if there isn't a constant load on it. That's
one of the reasons for the red weight just above the hook (not just to
trip the overheight limit switch).

I expect the hoist will run quite a bit faster than the winch (noting
its lower pull rating).

The winch is probably a better solution, in truth. But as you say, you
have the problem of the cost of a power supply (see my resp to your
other post)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

How far do you want to move the boat using the winch/hoist? The cheaper
mains model will only move it 5 metres[1] if you double it up to get a
250Kg pull. Is that enough?

[1] At a time. You could, of course use an intermediate rope which you
keep shortening - and run the hoist out again to get multiple 5 metre
steps - but that would be a right pain
--
Cheers,
Roger

powering a 12v 1HP winch Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 36 August 16th 13 12:25 PM
Hoist /Winch ... what do you think? Osprey UK diy 26 November 10th 12 06:08 PM
winch or hoist bob UK diy 2 August 6th 10 09:05 PM
Harbor Freight winch vs. McMaster winch, and wire rope Ignoramus9168 Metalworking 18 December 1st 07 06:03 AM
where is the right type of winch? Jimi Home Repair 3 October 13th 07 12:06 PM