Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "rear cable entry" outside lights

What's the correct way to mount a " rear cable entry" outside wall light when the existing cable is surface mounted?
Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:45:26 AM UTC, Jim K wrote:
What's the correct way to mount a " rear cable entry" outside wall light when the existing cable is surface mounted?

Cheers

Jim K

When I was considering something like this a while ago (I never got round to it) the ideas I mulled on we

1. Dig out some mortar and loop the cable behind, but whether that is possible depends on the location, size of fitting, bend radius of cable, etc.

2. Mount it on a thin box and make the connection in there (probably not pretty)

3. Cut a side entry hole and fit some type of rubber bush or grommet.

4. I've seen one mounted on two timber battens on the side of a barn which looked crap, but it was on a barn !

5. Move the cable (but that's not what you asked) !

I'm not sure what the "correct" or "standard" way is.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 02:39:53 -0800 (PST)
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

I am not a professional, but I did exactly 3 above, and it works, and
doesn't look bad.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

Most light fittings have a slight "standoff" at the screw holes, just
about enough to clear 1 mm T&E. If coming up from below, I'd just add a
blob of silicone if plastic, or rubber grommet plus silicone if not.

If wire comes down from above, you don't want it to have any chance of
draining water into the light. You could increase the standoff slightly
using washers or grommets on the screws, then arrange the feed to have a
loop below the inlet hole, then seal as described.

Sometimes worth having a drain hole at the bottom of the light fitting
anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound laid this down on his screen :
Sometimes worth having a drain hole at the bottom of the light fitting
anyway.

Always worth having a drain hole at the lowest point!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

I would not have a problem with any of those suggestions.

--
Adam