Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compression fittings for 20mm MDPE

I want to use metal compression fittings rather than the standard push-fit MDPE couplings on 20mm (I/D) blue MDPE pipe.

Can I use what is described as standard 22mm compression fittings where 22mm presumably is the O/D?

Incidentally, I have a brass stopcock for use with 20mm ploy pipe and it has 20 cast into the side of it -suggesting that 20mm MDPE might require a special type of compression fitting.

Can someone help clarify please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 5, 2012 6:57:37 PM UTC, wrote:
I want to use metal compression fittings rather than the standard push-fit MDPE couplings on 20mm (I/D) blue MDPE pipe.

Can I use what is described as standard 22mm compression fittings where 22mm presumably is the O/D?

Incidentally, I have a brass stopcock for use with 20mm ploy pipe and it has 20 cast into the side of it -suggesting that 20mm MDPE might require a special type of compression fitting.

Can someone help clarify please?

You'd need to replace the olives with these:
http://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/2...ion-olive.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 6:57*pm, wrote:
I want to use metal compression *fittings rather than the standard push-fit MDPE couplings on 20mm (I/D) blue MDPE pipe.

Can I use what is described as standard 22mm compression fittings where 22mm presumably is the O/D?

Incidentally, I have a brass stopcock for use with 20mm ploy pipe and it has 20 cast into the side of it -suggesting that 20mm MDPE might require a special type of compression fitting.

Can someone help clarify please?

Pipe sizes are peculiar. 22mm is the nominal bore size. But the bore
size depends on the thickness of the wall. All 22mm pipe are the same
OD but different bores depending on the pressure rating of the pipe.

On many plastic pipes, if you are using a compression fitting, you
need a stiffer plastic/metal insert goes inside the pipe to stop it
"collapsing". ie so you get the proper "pinch" effect as you tighten
the nut.
A few are non standard so you can't use a compression fitting, you
will need to check.

BTW there are several different sorts of plastic fittings for the
blue MDPE pipe from different manufacturers. But I know what you
mean, they all seem a bit dodgy.
Most have O rings that can be damaged as you assemble the fitting
round the pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes

Pipe sizes are peculiar. 22mm is the nominal bore size. But the bore
size depends on the thickness of the wall. All 22mm pipe are the same
OD but different bores depending on the pressure rating of the pipe.

What a confusing and contradictory statement.

Metric sized copper and MDPE are not in any way peculiar, their quoted
size is the external diameter of the pipe ie. the size of the fitting or
olive required to mate with them.

Andrew has kindly pointed to required olive.

On many plastic pipes, if you are using a compression fitting, you
need a stiffer plastic/metal insert goes inside the pipe to stop it
"collapsing". ie so you get the proper "pinch" effect as you tighten
the nut.

That much is true.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 10:14*am, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

Pipe sizes are peculiar. *22mm is the nominal bore size. But the bore
size depends on the thickness of the wall. *All 22mm pipe are the same
OD but different bores depending on the pressure rating of the pipe.

What a confusing and contradictory statement.

Metric sized copper and MDPE are not in any way peculiar, their quoted
size is the external diameter of the pipe ie. the size of the fitting or
olive required to mate with them.

Andrew has kindly pointed to required olive.

On many plastic pipes, if you are using a compression fitting, you
need a stiffer plastic/metal insert goes inside the pipe to stop it
"collapsing". ie so you get the proper "pinch" effect as you tighten
the nut.

That much is true.
--

You only think that because you only see/know about pipe used in
domestic houses.

Clearly stuff you know nothing about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes
On Nov 7, 10:14*am, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

[...]

And what do you think his enquiry is about?

There's no need to confuse him or bore him with unnecessary detail.

The main issue was your contradictory and confusing statements, "22mm is
the nominal bore size" and "All 22mm pipe are the same OD", clearly
those 2 statements are mutually exclusive.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:30*am, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

On Nov 7, 10:14 am, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

[...]

Why is that? Don't you understand the difference between bore and OD?

The OD is always the same so that the pipe fittings always fit.
The actual bore varies depending on the wall thickness/pressure rating
of the pipe.

The pipe fittings are higher pressure for ease of manufacture and fit
a range of pipes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes
On Nov 7, 11:30*am, fred wrote:

The main issue was your contradictory and confusing statements, "22mm is
the nominal bore size" and "All 22mm pipe are the same OD", clearly
those 2 statements are mutually exclusive.

Why is that? Don't you understand the difference between bore and OD?

I'm afraid I misread your post, it wasn't contradictory, it was simply
wrong:

22mm is not the "nominal bore size" of the pipe as you stated, it is the
outside diameter.

The o/p will be using 20mm o/d MDPE pipe in a compression fitting
designed for 22mm o/d copper pipe and will need to use the 20-22mm olive
previously referred to by Andrew.

Let's hope that clears things up.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 4:04*pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writesOn Nov 7, 11:30*am, fred wrote:

The main issue was your contradictory and confusing statements, "22mm is
the nominal bore size" and "All 22mm pipe are the same OD", clearly
those 2 statements are mutually exclusive.

Why is that? Don't you understand the difference between bore and OD?

I'm afraid I misread your post, it wasn't contradictory, it was simply
wrong:

22mm is not the "nominal bore size" of the pipe as you stated, it is the
outside diameter.

The o/p will be using 20mm o/d MDPE pipe in a compression fitting
designed for 22mm o/d copper pipe and will need to use the 20-22mm olive
previously referred to by Andrew.

Let's hope that clears things up.

You really are a f***g half wit rambling on about topics you have zero
knowledge about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_(f...veyance)#Sizes

He will be using 15mm pipe. The 22mm fitting will be neccesary because
the MDPEpipe has a very thick wall diameter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes
I want to use metal compression fittings rather than the standard push-fit MDPE
couplings on 20mm (I/D) blue MDPE pipe.

Can I use what is described as standard 22mm compression fittings where 22mm
presumably is the O/D?

Incidentally, I have a brass stopcock for use with 20mm ploy pipe and it has 20
cast into the side of it -suggesting that 20mm MDPE might require a special type
of compression fitting.

Can someone help clarify please?

Apologies for various bits of misinformation and confusion in this
thread, I think both myself and Andrew failed to notice that you said
20mm _I/D_ as the size for your pipe rather than _O/D_ (outside
diameter) which is the dimension that current domestic MDPE pipe is sold
and specified in.

If your pipe really is MDPE (is it blue?[1]) and has an I/D of 20mm then
it is actually 25mm MDPE pipe. This will not fit a 22mm compression
fitting as it is sized for the outside diameter of the pipe it is to
mate with ie either 22mm (_O/D_) copper or internal plastic plumbing
pipe, and sadly 25 into 22 will not go.

The conversion olive that Andrew pointed to was for adapting 20mm MDPE
pipe (_O/D_) to a 22mm brass compression fitting so that will not work
on the 25mm MDPE pipe that you have.

I note that the same outfit also sell a conversion olive for 25mm MDPE:

http://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/25mm-mdpe-olive.html

which I imagine will be for the next available size of compression
fitting which is 28mm (for 28mm o/d copper).

This means you need a 28mm compression fitting. If you then want to mate
22mm copper to this then you will need a 22mm 'reducing set':

http://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/c...set-28-22.html

or for 15mm copper a 15mm reducing set:

http://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/c...set-28-15.html

Finally and at last, I hope that helps (although I'm guessing you've
already been to a plumbers' merchant and got the bits you need), good
luck on your job.

[1] blue specified for underground service but also avail in black.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes

You really are a f***g half wit rambling on about topics you have zero
knowledge about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_(f...veyance)#Sizes

He will be using 15mm pipe. The 22mm fitting will be neccesary because
the MDPEpipe has a very thick wall diameter.

I think my latest reply, direct to the o/p will clarify.

He appears to actually have 25mm MDPE which (in answer to his question)
will not fit a 22mm compression fitting but I have offered an
alternative solution.

And finally, just to clarify, can you perhaps explain what you meant by
"22mm is the nominal bore size." in your original reply, it doesn't
appear to relate to either 22mm domestic copper or 25mm domestic MDPE
metric pipe sizes. Just a sentence will do, own words preferred, no need
for links thanks.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 12:28*pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

[...]

Of course not. That's what nominal means.
The pipe commonly available for domestic applications is just a small
part of a much larger range. Read the link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes
On Nov 8, 12:28*pm, fred wrote:

And finally, just to clarify, can you perhaps explain what you meant by
"22mm is the nominal bore size." in your original reply, it doesn't
appear to relate to either 22mm domestic copper or 25mm domestic MDPE
metric pipe sizes. Just a sentence will do, own words preferred, no need
for links thanks.

Of course not. That's what nominal means.
The pipe commonly available for domestic applications is just a small
part of a much larger range. Read the link.

The clarification I am looking for is how a pipe with a bore of 22mm can
also have an o/d of 22mm as you seem to imply?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 9, 10:25*am, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

On Nov 8, 12:28 pm, fred wrote:

And finally, just to clarify, can you perhaps explain what you meant by
"22mm is the nominal bore size." in your original reply, it doesn't
appear to relate to either 22mm domestic copper or 25mm domestic MDPE
metric pipe sizes. Just a sentence will do, own words preferred, no need
for links thanks.

Of course not. That's what nominal means.
The pipe commonly available for domestic applications is just a small
part of a much larger range. Read the link.

The clarification I am looking for is how a pipe with a bore of 22mm can
also have an o/d of 22mm as you seem to imply?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Bores are nominal. ODs are exact.
Didn't you read the link?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nominal?s=b
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes
On Nov 9, 10:25*am, fred wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

On Nov 8, 12:28 pm, fred wrote:

And finally, just to clarify, can you perhaps explain what you meant by
"22mm is the nominal bore size." in your original reply, it doesn't
appear to relate to either 22mm domestic copper or 25mm domestic MDPE
metric pipe sizes. Just a sentence will do, own words preferred, no need
for links thanks.

Of course not. That's what nominal means.
The pipe commonly available for domestic applications is just a small
part of a much larger range. Read the link.

The clarification I am looking for is how a pipe with a bore of 22mm can
also have an o/d of 22mm as you seem to imply?

Bores are nominal. ODs are exact.
Didn't you read the link?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nominal?s=b

My god you are so full of ****.

Care to quote an authoritative reference that describes 22mm o/d copper
tube as having a 22mm nominal bore?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .