Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing old water tank from loft

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:55:30 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:
On 01/11/2012 18:35, charles wrote:

In article ,

Robin wrote:

charles wrote:

In article ,

Robin wrote:

If you must remove it, it is possible to rent tools.

or even hire them

I thought "rent" swung both ways. OED thinks it does. "3. trans. To

pay rent for (land, buildings, etc.); to take possession of, hold,

occupy, or use, by payment of rent. "

I don't consider tools to be "Land, Buildings, etc"

How about trucks which the OED also covers?

"1885 Law Rep.: Queen's Bench Div. 15 316 The truck in question was

rented by the defendant..from the Midland Waggon Company."

And didn't most most of us rent a TV, video or DVD more often than we

hired one?

it was called "Hire Purchase" not "rent purchase"

And that was from Radio Rentals?

I cannot care much which word is used - each of them seems to have

places where it "sounds" appropriate to my ear; and others where it does

not.

But I can't help having a feeling that "rent" is a long-term arrangement

whereas "hire" is short-term.

Unless you use a rent boy or get hire purchase on what was called the never never.

And yet when I try to think if there is

any truth in that, I come up with so many counter-examples I realise how

futile that is.

--

Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2012 12:48, Broadback wrote:
I don't have and angle grinder.
As it is very awkward to get up there, I am not absolutely certain that
it is metal, though it looks like it. The hatch is far too small to get
it through, any suggestions for a reasonable approach, I do not wish to
spend a lot of money on a cutting tool that I may never use again. Is it
viable to hacksaw it, or will it be too thick?

Leave it there. Some tanks from the fifties are asbestos based.

--
Regards Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 7:07*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 01/11/12 18:55, polygonum wrote:

On 01/11/2012 18:35, charles wrote:
In article ,
* * Robin wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
* *Robin wrote:
[...]

whereas "hire" is short-term. And yet when I try to think if there is
any truth in that, I come up with so many counter-examples I realise how
futile that is.

I have never rented anything SHORT term,

Car rental tends to be short term.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2012 12:48, Broadback wrote:
I don't have and angle grinder.

Shame on you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2012 17:10, Man at B&Q wrote:

Car rental tends to be short term.

MBQ

And a lot of car hire companies have at the least links with USA
companies. Which might explain the number of uses of "rent" in this
arena. But still there are towards three times as many hits for "car
hire" as for "car rental" in the UK. (Very approximate - simplistic
Google search.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

Reciprocating saw. See:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker...1933200&sr=8-5

I cut up a very large zinc covered metal tank a couple of years ago.
Cut in to quarters using metal blade. No sparks and no significant
wear to the blade.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2012 20:17, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thursday, 1 November 2012 17:20:26 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Plasma cutter. Gwaan, you know you want to play with one. ;-)

They're great fun, but I wouldn't use one in a loft.

Me neither.

But once upon a time I came across some damn great sheets of galvanised
iron in a loft that had obviously been cut up with a gas axe. And that
was in a Lutyens mansion. I guess they could afford a man on watch for
a couple of days afterwards!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 1:29*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:21:15 PM UTC, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 12:48:20 +0000
Broadback wrote:

I don't have and angle grinder.
As it is very awkward to get up there, I am not absolutely certain
that it is metal, though it looks like it. The hatch is far too small
to get it through, any suggestions for a reasonable approach, I do
not wish to spend a lot of money on a cutting tool that I may never
use again. Is it viable to hacksaw it, or will it be too thick?

If you must remove it, it is possible to rent tools.

That sounds like a very sensible idea. *I'd go for a nibbler rather than
an angle grinder - less noise, and fewer sparks to set fire to dust and
rafters.

HSS will hire you one that will cut through 2.5mm mild steel for less
than £50.

I would back that one up - my father set his workshop on fire grinding
with an angle grinder in it and he didn't survive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I don't have and angle grinder.
As it is very awkward to get up there, I am not absolutely certain that
it is metal, though it looks like it. The hatch is far too small to get
it through, any suggestions for a reasonable approach, I do not wish to
spend a lot of money on a cutting tool that I may never use again. Is it
viable to hacksaw it, or will it be too thick?

Hire a powerstroke saw for the day, but at the hire cost you'd be as
well buying one from Aldidl anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:37:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Oh - and you can't hire asunder.

Neither can you rent asunder

Though you might gave done so in the past

You could have rented a gozunda.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I don't have and angle grinder.
As it is very awkward to get up there, I am not absolutely certain that
it is metal, though it looks like it. The hatch is far too small to get
it through, any suggestions for a reasonable approach, I do not wish to
spend a lot of money on a cutting tool that I may never use again. Is it
viable to hacksaw it, or will it be too thick?

Hire a powerstroke saw for the day, but at the hire cost you'd be as
well buying one from Aldidl anyway.

Thanks for all the advice, I decided to try km's solution. I now have
the saw, only need to get up to my daughters to see if it works OK. I
will post here to report how it went, after all others may be looking to
resolve a similar problem.